Son Has Bad Cough

Updated on August 12, 2009
L.C. asks from Lewisville, TX

Hello Ladies!!!
My sweet 17 month old son has a horrible cough!!! :( He is getting teeth and I think that may be why he has the cough. I feel so bad because I can't seem to make it go away no matter what I do!!! Any suggestions on how to control or get rid of it?
Thank you!!!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Dallas on

Hello L.,

you can use essential oils to help him with his cough.
you can put on a tissue (NOT on him)

5 drops peppermint oil
2 drops rosemary oil
1 drop basil oil

put it on a small glass plate in the room (where he CANNOT get to it)
I hope he feels better! ~C.~

answers from Dallas on

he may have an ear infection. any time my son starts with a bad cough it is because of that

answers from Dallas on

Of course I would check with the Dr. before self treatment.

Another thought is that he may have allergies. I know that drainage from allergies causes coughing with my hubby and daughter. The only thing that helps them is a dose of Rx allergy meds. Same thing happens to me except it hits me differently and I get nausea about 30 minutes after I get up in the am. The Rx allergy meds help all of us.

Hope that might help.

answers from Dallas on

With all the changes to the OTC medications I would call your doctor they can prescribe an infant cough medication. I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Next question: Cough Syrup That Works