Son Complaining of Head Pain in the Back of His Head.

Hello, my 7 year old has been complaining of headahces for a while now. (No other symptoms.) I give him Tylenol or Motrin and it goes away. The weird thing about it is that the pain is in the back of his head. I have headaches often as well as mensrual headahces but the pain is usually in the forehead or temples, not the back of my head. A couple of times he woke up crying in the night with these "headaches." He usually wants an ice pack on it and I give him Motrin, Advil, or Tylenol and they go away. I mentioned them to the pediatrician and they want me to keep a diary of how often these happen. Usually it is about once a month. Has anyone experienced anything like this before or know what might be causing pain in the back of the head. I have had his eyes tested and his vision is fine. Thanks!

Wanted to let everyone know hat happened with my sons MRI. Brain is fine. MRI did show sinusitis. So the diagnosis for the headaches- nocturnal migraines and sinusitis. Thank goodness! Thanks again for all your responses....

My five year old has been complaining of headaches the last 4 months or so. I don't think they were always in the back of the head but sometimes they were. I brought him to a pediatric eye doctor and found out he needs glasses. That's is more than likely the cause of his headaches. He just got the glasses yesterday so I can't tell yet if it's making a difference.

My daughter is eight and is complaining of a similiar head pain and stomachaches. We have done blood work, an MRI, and increased water intake by request from the pediatrician. Everything came back normal and the headaches continue. The only thing that seems to work is the chiropractor. My daughter seems to fell like the head pain changes and is not as intense. If you get any answers keep us in mind. Thanks T. G.

Have you ever thought of taking him to a chiropractor. I sometimes gets headaches at the back of my head, at the top of the spine and after an adjustment I feel a lot better. If the thought is a little scary to you, see if you can go in and talk to the chiropractor and ask him questions or have him show you how they actually adjust children. It doesn't mean you have to have him adjusted if you're still uncomfortable with the situation. Good luck.

My son had same complaints. It turned out he needed glasses. I would recommend taking him to the eye doctor.

Please just bring him for an MRI and cat scan.
Obviously something is causing pressure. My son has Chiari 1 brain Malformation... which causes many side effects and doctors are saying that it apparently is more common than they think. Its probably not that. Could be anything, allergies but you need further tests to know for sure.
Sunshine's Momma

Honestly I do not want to scare you but take him to the hospital for tests. A little girl who was very close to my family was finally diagnosed with brain cancer after having chronic headaches for about a year. I hate to say that and make you nervous but I really want you to have these looked into, and dont let them turn you away saying it's just a headache, because they turned the little girl I knew away 4 times before they finally found it. Please let us know what happens.

When I was a child I had very bad headaches, eventually they discovered that I had severe food allergies and with a diet change and increased water intake they went away. I was a fairly simple test they drew blood and tested for the allergies. You may want to have him tested for both airborn and food allergies. hope this is helpful.

I just wanted to thank all of the moms for their amazing feedback - I had NO idea how to respond to your question, but am so thankful for all of the moms that did respond with amazing advice.

All my best,

L. A.

###-###-#### bus
###-###-#### cell
###-###-#### fax

Going green while working from home
www.ahealthyworld.com

I don't like the idea of your son having pains in the back of the head, if I'm not wrong, that is not a good sign and hoping you are keeping a journal and if he is going to school (if you're not homeschooling) you should discuss with the teacher about that to make sure that they keep a journal and see if he's having pains in the bakc of his head. I have known about that and there is a swelling of the arteries in the back of the head and can also be in the back of the neck for some people and he's either stressing out from something, (and believe it or not, children can get stressed out ...a bully in the school, is there a particular subject he can understand and gets frustrated and worries that he is not smart enough....There are other factors that play the role in that area. You should have some kind of clarification perhaps what he was eating, doing that day at school or at home that could be a factor. It's not good that he's getting them and put your foot down when you talk with pediatricians. Make it clear that you want some information and keep at them for test if the pains continue. You may want to check on webmed.com about things like that and see what information you are coming up with and in the meantime get this cleared up and taken care of. He's too young to be having pains in his head. Let us know what your are going through if you're having difficulty and and let us know what the results are and so forth, I am interested...thanks and I'll definitely keep init in prayer...

You've received a lot of good advice here with a lot to think about.

I would have a cat scan done or MRI just to rule out anything more serious. Once the possibility of anything really serious is ruled out, I would look at his diet, food allergies, stress levels and all the other possibilites mentioned.

Do you allow your son to drink anything with caffiene on occasion? That can cause serious head-aches. So can stress.

Good Luck, Keep us updated!

1 / 3