Son Breaking Out in Hives

Sunday night after dinner we noticed that my little one was tugging alot at his shirt and pants, so we pulled off his shirt and found he was broke out in a wierd rash an his arms and legs. Called the nurse on call and after 30 minutes speaking with her and Dr. on call they said get him benadryl, and watch for it to spread. We had an appt. early the next morn with his pediatrician. She said she also thinks it hives and it should go away in a couple days. But it seems to be "traveling" just now I got him out of bed and it's in totally different places then last night and the other ones are gone. i feel terrible for him! Still giving benadryl, aveeno oatmeal baths, and lathering him with aveeno baby lotion. Anyone have any other tips or suggestions? He doesn't seem very uncomfortable but Im sure he's got to be itchy! We havent changed anything with diet, or saops or laundry detergent. So Im sure thats not the problem. Thanks in advance!

After the third day all of the rash has cleared up and he's fine! I'm glad to know this does happen and sometimes there's nothing that can be pinpointed! So luckily it wasn't anything major, and he's back to normal!

It may be a allergic reaction to something that he ate, or something that was in what he ate. You might need to take him to see an Allergist because it could be something very small but you would never know unless he's tested.

With the way allergies work sometimes there is no change in diet or detergent. The intollerance just builds and builds with the use of that product until it starts to show up. My friend just went through this with her two yr old and peanuts. He has had peanut butter since he was old enough and frequently for the last several months. Suddenly a few weeks ago he ate two peanut butter whoppers and his eyes swelled shut almost instantly and he had to be rushed to the ER. Your son could have had this intollerance all along and it just now got bad enough (through repeated exposure to the allergen) to show up. If the rash "moves" then, yup, it sounds like hives and it is an allergic reaction. My son has them and it is always chemicals like detergents that bring it on. He and my daughter are both allergic to the same carpet powder, for instance. One year (3rd grade) he was having an allergic reaction to something at school that we couldn't pin down and came home every day in hives. He had lots of fun telling people he was allergic to school.

You are doing everything you can, and rest assured the benadryl is helping with the discomfort. In the meantime, I would make a list of everything he is using, everything you are eating and when. I would make another list of when he gets the rash, when it moves, when it subsides and worsens and then cross reference.

Hope this helps,

Kids can develop allergies fast. Something similar just happened to me. Last week my kid was fine, this week he can't have milk products!

Aveno won't help for hives. Its an allergic response and somethings bathing and hot baths will make them spread. Has he run a fever in the last week? Sometimes really little kids break out in hives as a response to getting over a fever or virus and not an allergy. My one son did this several times.

Could it be chicken pox or shingles? Does he have any other symptoms besides the rash? You don't need to change something for their to be an allergic response. Some people can use a product for years and then suddenly develop an allergic response to it. Even food allergies can come on slowly. Keep a journal of what he is eating or doing. It could also just be one of those viruses that comes and then goes. If it doesn't improve by the time the dr says it should get him back in there and if he develops new symptoms let the dr know. Rashes can meet a lot by themselves.

If the rash is flat and looks like clusters of tiny red dots it may be fifth disease, which is viral and presents as a rash that gets worse when it's exposed to light. My daughter had that when she was about a year old and we treated with the benadryl and oatmeal baths, but since it's viral you have to just let it run it's course, which takes about as long as a cold. The good news if it looks much worse than it is, and from what I was able to tell it really doesn't itch or hurt. Just don't take him to a beach or anything until it's gone.

My son broke out in horrible hives at 20 months and he was just finishing amoxycillin for bronchitis and the doc said it was most likely an allergic reaction to the antibiotic even though it was his second time taking it. Did he happen to be on any antibiotics? My son was not itchy, but they prescribed a steroid which cleared him up in about 3-4 days. Just keep an eye on them and be in contact with your doc if they are not clearing up. Poor guy!

Has your pediatrician recommended a dermatologist? Whenever we have problems with our kids, our pediatrician recommends a visit to the Dermatologist. It can be hard to get in to see one, but it may be worth asking if it's advisable as either the Benadryl isn't strong enough or it's related to something else.

1 / 3