Son Allergic to Ranch Dressing

In the last couple of months, we have found out that our 2 year old is allergic to ranch dressing - or at least something in ranch dressing. Both times he tried it, he turned red all around his mouth. Thankfully it was a slight reaction. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience and knows what it is in ranch dressing that is causing the reaction. I know it could be a number of things, but I thought I'd see if any other mom's have had a similar experience. I was also shocked to read the ingredients and see that ranch dressing contains MSG!

Thank you for all of the advice and information. I'm going to buy more purified dressings from now on. We've been getting Hidden Valley Ranch - but now we'll try to find something more natural. Thanks again!

My son gets the exact same thing. He is almost 2, and he has only gotten it with a few things, mostly dipping sauces (ranch, ketchup, bbq sauce) so maybe there is a preservative or something in them that causes this. He doesn't swell up or get any breathing problems, just red where the sauce was. I just wash his face and it goes away in a few minutes. His twin sister doesn't seem to get it tho, at least not that I've ever seen.

Hi D.,

My daughter has the same reaction to some ranch dressing as well, mostly the ones that that have all the added ingredients (that you can't prounounce). I prefer "Lite House" dressings, they are more natural and are usually either above the veggies / lettuce or somewhere in the refrigerator section. She doesn't seem to have any problems with any of their dressings. And I know it doesn't have MSG in it. The lesser ingredients the better.

P.

We have noticed red marks and a rash when my daughter now 3 ate ketchup or anything with tomato sauce. We made sure nothing sat on her face or the red mark would stay longer. We noticed this as soon as she started on food at 2. Yesterday she ate ranch dressing for the first time with a nibble of pizza and her whole face turned red and blotchy and swollen. I thought it was from the pizza. Today she had a tiny bit of ranch and her face started turning red again, not as bad as last night. I guess the combo of both tomato sauce and ranch was a really bad combo. She won't be eating either anymore. I'm so glad to know there are others with the same problem.

Hi D.,

I also have a 2 year old son and he gets the same reaction. Just around his mouth. It only last 20 minutes or so. It's weird because he gets this way with spaghetti sauce too! We were eating pizza at my mother-n-laws one day and she said that when my husband was little he got the same reaction. Eventually he (Hubby) out grew it. It is nice to know my son is not the only one that this is happening to. It's getting better as he is getting older too. It only happens every couple times instead of every time. I don't know what else to say. It is the weirdest thing. Good luck with your move.

My daughter had this,too. She'd get red all around her mouth - wherever the ranch was touching. She also got like this with cottage cheese, so I don't think it's MSG. I wouldn't call it an "allergy" in either case, just a skin sensitivity.

I'd wash her face and it'd go away in a few minutes. She had no other symptoms, so I continued to let her have cottage cheese, since she loves it. Once she was older and not so messy, we didn't notice it anymore - probably because she wasn't getting it all over her face.

Those are the only 2 foods she had this reaction to. She's not otherwise terribly sensitive or allergic to anything, but she does have a more-than-normal reaction to mosquito or bug bites.

We have had the smae problem with our daughter. She loves ranch dressing! The funny thing is that it only seems to be a certain brand. I don't think she is allergic to the dressing, just has a skin irritation to something in it. When I wash her face it goes away in a few minutes. If you are really concerned you could see an allergist and have testing done or speak with your pediatrician. Good Luck!

Hi

Me and my wife have 22 month old girl. We noticed 2 months ago she had smalll allergic reaction to ranch and mayo. And just found out that tartar sauce does it to as well. We looked at the all the ingredients in each of the sauce and the only thing that was a common ingredient was soybean oil. Dont know if thats it , but only thing we could come up with. The good thing is that it only last about a hour. Yes, that to bad that it contains msg!!

Check out www.naet.com for a way to naturally and non-invasively ELIMINATE allergies. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. It was a miracle for my son!

Good Luck,

1 / 3