Something to Withhold Infant from Scratching Other than a Sock....

My little boy has eczema and has one patch of skin that he consistantly tries to scratch on his cheek. I do have it covered with gause and a strong tape so he doesn't scratch it during his naps. I also put a sock on his hand. Regardless, he tends to rub so hard that he gets gause and tape off. It isn't healing very fast because every few days he gets at it and scratches to bleeding pt. I managed to get rid of the eczema on the rest of his face with LOTS of lotion. I know I can get rid of this too if only he could leave it alone for awhile. Does anyone have any advice for something to keep him from scratching his face during naps other than a sock? I can't use any stronger of a tape because it leaves marks on his already sensitive poor little face:(! I appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks so much!!!!

It sounds to me like whatever lotion you've been using may not be working, or working effectively enough. And I doubt the tape is good for the condition. The skin needs to breathe, and is probably making him suffer more.

Have you taken him to see a dermatologist? If so, take him again and tell the dr. you need something stronger.

Chances are even if you tied his hands behind his back (DON'T) he would still be miserable. Please get him to a dermatologist and tell that dr. what you have told us. I feel for him, since he's so little and in misery.

Do you use a steriod cream for his ezema? I have to for my little boy. it has a VERY strong anti itching component! It's a prescription that you can get through your pediatrician. I can't think of what it's actually called but it starts with a T

that's all I can suggest!! I know how awful it is though.

Hi H.
my oldest son had horrible eczema when he was an infant (still does, actually, but not as bad). None of the over the counter lotions worked for him...eucerin, or even otc cortizone creams. We had to see a dermatologist, who gave us a steriod based prescription cream. The patches on his face were also very bad....from scratching, they would get infected! The only thing that ever worked for us (to clear it up quickly) was to use the prescription faithfully every day. Also....possible tip....as my son got older, he said that the creams that we put on him were burning his skin! From then on, our dermatologist has given him an ointment based prescription....and even though it is a little bit messier, it has worked wonders. Also, I think maybe the tape would irritate his skin....I know you are trying desperately to keep him from scratching, but maybe the tape is making matters worse? Get to a dermatologist (especially one who does pediatrics) and you will all be much happier campers! good luck!

i have a 6 month old daughter who has eczema. i too have been doing the whole lotion thing on her. she had a bright red patch on the back her head when she was born. we just thought it was a birth mark. well she started scratching it open and it turned bright red. i tried putting hydrocortizone lotion on it. her doctor ended up having to give me a prescription. she said from her scratching that it got infected. since then she hasn't had a problem. hope this helps.

I have severe eczema on my foot and the best thing is a prescription cream from the doctor. It will usually clear up in a day or two. Eczema can come back anytime so make sure you use the cream at the onset of it to prevent it from getting really itchy.

Have you tried using some over the counter cortisone on his cheek for a couple of days to see if you can get the rash down? Cortisone will also make it less itchy. If it's bleeding raw, you should talk to your ped. It can get infected if it's open. They will probably want to prescribe something to keep it under control. Good luck. I know this is probably breaking your heart to see...

I am a partner with a wellness company that has a product called Renew. It's an excellent product it is 7 times better than Eucerin on moisture retention.. Relieves severely dry skin associated with eczema, rosacea, psoriasis, and diabetes. Attract and retain more moisture for softer and healthier skin.

they make pajamas w/ things on them to cover up the hands of babys.

1 / 3