Something to Give to Family Who Just Lost Child

We just found out today that friends of ours lost their 17 yo in a tragic accident. I woud like to get the parents, as well as their remaining child, something tangible and representative of the memory of their loved one. I was thinking something for each or something for the family as a whole. Planting a tree or anything along these lines is not something we would consider as this family has a great deal of access to plant material and in truth I think that something may be done by his classmates.

This family is a great family and their son/brother was a good kid with a loving heart and much ambition for life. I cannot explain the magnitude of loss to this family (not to mention additional family and friends).
The funeral is this weekend so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Try this: http://www.lunaslight.com/UniversalGrievingSymbol.html
Created by two Ohio sisters to remember their other sister who passed away.

My family and recently lost our 17 yo to a drowning accident also. It is really hard trying to get over something like this. There is really nothing that anyone could give us but our son back but thats not going to happen. The only thing that keeps us are the photos and family. The main thing to give is support and prayer. Those are the 2 main things. We still have support from our family and we pray everyday. There is not one day that goes by that I don't think about him. It's hard.

I have a close friend who lost a baby at under two weeks, before I ever knew her. Her friends at work purchased a star and named it after the baby to remind her that her angel is always in heaven watching her. They also purchased a brick that is at the walk-in area in the zoo. When we are there with our kids, we will sometimes go look for it and it brings a smile to her face. Sometimes just finding something the son or the family loved together can be made into a commemorative item. I am so sorry for their loss and will be thinking of them.

So sorry for everyone's great loss! You could start a scholorship fund in his name? Best wishes!

My Mom got a nice big blanket with a picture of her sister to give to her kids when my aunt died. Just a thought. Something they will have forever.

A friend of mines father died and I went to hallmark Cards and Gifts. There I found a coin that I can't really remember what it said but something along the lines of remembering me rub this coin. I will always be there in your heart. He still carries this coin with him and thanked me over and over. It was a small jester but something that ment something to him. Good luck.

I am so sorry to hear about your friends' loss. What a terrible tragedy! Bless you for wanting to do something special for them at this devastating time.

I belong to a bereavement web site where they might find some comfort at this terribly sad time. We have another woman there who lost her 16 year old son to an accident last April, and she might be in a position to offer them help from the unique perspective of someone who truly has been there. The web address is:

http://www.belovedhearts.com

They can visit the grief center and participate in live chats in the evening, or go to the Grief Support Forum and post a message. It's a lovely site, and I know a lot of people have found comfort there. they can also post a memorial to him at the site where they can update it as often as they want to, and friends will be able to post messages in their guest book.

Now, regarding a gift for them...Jim Shore makes lovely figurines, and has a number of angel figurines that might hold special meaning for them. His figurines are affordable, and of wonderful quality. I have on that my sister gave to me after the loss of a pet that brought me a lot of comfort then. Please check these links to see if something here looks like it might be a good idea for your friends:

ANGEL WITH DOVE FIGURINE:

http://www.jimshore.com/shop/p-3175-angel-with-dove-figre...

ANGEL OF BEREAVEMENT FIGURINE:

http://www.jimshore.com/shop/p-914-bereavement-angel.aspx

FLYING ANGEL LORD SHEPHERD FIGURINE (a 23rd Psalm theme):

http://www.jimshore.com/shop/p-830-flying-angel-lord-shep...

BORN INTO LOVING ARMS ~ BOY FIGURINE:

http://www.jimshore.com/shop/p-661-angel-wbaby-boy.aspx

These are lovely figurines, made of a resin material, so they are unbreakable and virtually indestructible. The quality is high, and they are a nice size to place in just about any room.

God bless that dear family. We have a lady down the road from us that makes "Memory Bears". She takes an article of clothing from the deceased and tailors it to fit a special teddy bear that she makes. this way the family always has a teddy bear wearing a replica of favorite clothing from their loved one that they can hug and cuddle when missing them the most. For the mother, a locket with her sons picture in it? This is very hard to even imagine. I pray that God will comfort them during this time and give you wisdom and strength to be there for them during this difficult time.

So sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I lost my 27 year old brother in a tragic accident almost 5 years ago and the pain and shock for my family was unbearable. One thing that my mother treasures is a quilt that my aunt made with pieces of my brother's clothing. She made one for my mom and one for his widow (only married 7 months!) We had such an outpouring of support it was amazing. We were in such shock that it was hard to function. Family and friends provided meals and cleaning and everyday things and that was truly appreciated and necessary. One thing to remember that after the funeral and everything is over and they are left with just the silence of the loss, that is when they will need you the most. One of my mom's best friends came over every Friday for months with wine and taco dip and they just hung out. That really helped her get through those first few months. My heart goes out to your friend.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

family funeral flower losses roses