Solutions for Dry Itchy Scalp

Hi! My Daughter is almost 7 and has a dry itchy flaky scalp. It's only in certain patches of her head but it's bad. I have tried head and shoulders, and other shampoos for dry scalp but nothing seems to work. I took her to a Dermotologist and he gave me perscription shampoo but you can only use it for a week at a time. I heard mint was good but does anyone else have this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks

hello both of my girls had the same problem when they where younger i used baby oil on it like you would for cradle cap they have since grown out of it though

My daughter had the same problem. I went to a dermatologist and his answer was to wash her hair every day, which at the time was not possible. I was 6 months pregnant with my third daughter. Also, we are african american so I had reservations about doing that anyway. I took her to my hair dresser who used regular white vinegar and it cleared it up. Just massage her scalp with vinegar first and then shampoo and wash your daughter's hair normally. It took about six months for my daughters scalp to completely heal, but after the first couple of times we did this you could really see a huge difference. Sometimes grandma's fixes really are the best ones. I hope this helps.

My husband uses the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo - it is a bit more expensive then your ordinary shampoos, but it is well worth it. You can even try a discounted beauty supply store so it's not quite as much as at the salon. The other thing to stay away from is any type of shampoo with alcohol as that only further dries out hair. Good luck!

check at your local CVS (yes, CVS now sells professional products-at least ours does), or salon and get some Paul Mitchel's Tea tree shampoo.

tea tree helps a lot with itchy scalp.

You can also try olive oil, rub it into the scalp and then wash out with shampoo...you may have to wash twice.
It's not uncommon to have dry scalp during the winter. Most shampoos are for working on the hair, not the scalp. So you need to have something what will saturate the scalp to help heal it.

I have psorisis on my scalp as well as other places and it is the same symptoms you describe. I have used t-gel tar shampoo (they also make a product called t-sal which is a stronger version of the same thing). It helps with regular use but not has not cleared up the problem completely for me. In the past I have been prescribed other products including a liquid that goes on the scalp and is left on. Many years ago I was perscribed a very oily medication that was supposed to be left on overnight and then washed out. It was inconvient but might be useful to try something like that (maybe hot oil, Tea Tree oil, fish oil or even flaxseed oil) occasionally or just on weekends.

If it is psorisis then it is worse in the winter and when you are under stress (it is an autoimmune disorder). I don't know if the other suggestions on here will help because I haven't tried them. But many of them (mint, vinegar, Tea Tree oil) sound pretty harmless if they don't work. Hope you find some thing that works for your daughter.

Use a shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil in it, and make sure it's a natural/organic brand that is chemical-free. Nature's Gate makes a good one.

http://www.natures-gate.com/shop/showItem.asp?ProductId=4...

Witch Hazel works wonders. It feels good - tingly.. it's natural... and it makes your hair shiny. Wash hair first.. try Suave kids shampoo with conditioner... and then pour a cup of witch hazel over her hair... rinse quickly... actually a little will stay in which is ok.. and then towel dry.. don't use a blow dryer as this will dry her scalp and hair more... Go on line and look at uses for witch hazel.. its a great product found in any pharmacy..

Dear D.,

Did the doctor say it is psoriasis? My husband suffers from it for the past few years and winter is the worst time of the year. He uses prescriptions as well but I know for a child you want to use more natural products if possible. I used to give him hot oil treatments and that would help somewhat with the itching. I wouldn't wash her hair every day in the winter so she can retain some of her natural oils and prevent further drying. My husband never had it until around 3 years ago it was beginning to spread onto his face. It is much better know, but he has been under constant care with a dermotologist. I also purchased shea butter by L'Occitane (not sure of spelling) and that also helped and it is completely natural. He tried all shampoos as well and none really help. I haven't heard of mint but hey its natural so it can't hurt. Good luck!!

1 / 3