Solar Screens - Worth It? Just Plain Ugly?

we're pretty new to Texas and have yet to spend a summer here, but are getting the feeling its hot & sunny for many months. A window guy was suggesting solar screens to us to help keep the house cool and save on AC bills.

I haven't seen too many houses with them so I'm wondering -- are they worth it? If they are, how come more people don't have them? Are they just considered too ugly or what?

Anyone have experiences/wisdom to share?

We've gotten them on two different houses...but only on the west-facing windows. And, they REALLY helped keep the heat down in those rooms. Luckily for us, the west-facing windows were are on the side of the house, so we didn't really have to worry about the appearance. But, we wouldn't put them on the entire house because they don't look very good.

We used Lone Star Solar Screens on both houses...they had good prices and service. Hope this helps.

I'm a native Texan...I never had them on my home growing up but now that I live in a larger home.... they make a WORLD of difference!!! I HIGHLY recommend them... I have them as do tons of neighbors in my neighborhood.

Actually, I see them all over the place. I had them on my previous house and I am in the process of building a new house and will get them again. They are worth it. Some of the colors are ugly, but not all of them. Just don't get an ugly color. We are also about to have them installed at our office. I can refer you to the guy that does ours. He is very nice and honest. His prices are also very reasonable. The company is Solor Tex and the number is ###-###-####.

Maybe it's just where you live that people don't have them. I see a lot of them around my neighborhood. We have them on the back of our house because we get the sun in the evenings and our house would get so hot you couldn't stand to be in it. The solar screens made a tremendous difference in the house. I would totally suggest getting them.

We kinda had the same thoughts - that they just looked funny. We have a 2-year-old house and we just didn't think they would look right. Anyway, we found these http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2432275 and they've been great. No one can even tell I have them. We just put them up behind our other curtains - you can attach them or just put them up on their own rod. They block out a lot of the light, and heat, but without making it pitch black. Just a suggestion - plus, they are cheaper :)

Tim's window tinting, www.hometint.com, is used throughout our neighborhood. I've only heard good things about the products from my neighbors.

Hi P.,

We have very high ceilings and direct sunlight into our living room which makes for a hot summer. When I was pregnant, I insisted that we cool the house by installing solar screens. They made the house much darker and really didn't seem to help with the efficiency or the high electricity bill. We removed them and never put back on. I would not recommend them.

Yes, Texas summers are hot and miserable for a few months. Sometimes it even extends into the fall. We have wood plantation shutters which I keep closed when the sun is blaring in during the afternoon. This helps a lot and the plantation shutters are so pretty and ad value to your home. I think the solar screens are pretty ugly so I never researched to see if they work. But my shutters work great!!

1 / 3