Soda vs Juice

Sorry to highjack bumblebee's post.... but all the comments insinuating that juice is better than soda has me confused.

Juice has virtually the same sugar count, and the nutritional benefits to juice are slim. Every nutritionist I've ever encountered says it's waaaaay better for you to eat the orange than to drink the orange juice (unless you are pressing your own, which I don't think people are doing per the other post). But the general consensus seems to be that store bought juice (even 100% juice) is just as bad for you as soda.

In fact - do you know who owns Tropicana? PEPSICO.

I compared the labels and did a quick google search - site after site after site essentially says juice is just as bad for you as soda. Yes, there are minimal additional benefits - like vitamin C, but they get that from other sources in the diet if they're eating even a halfway balanced diet.

Yes, some soda has caffeine. But, if you're talking Sprite vs Orange Juice there is virtually no difference.... or I guess I would say not enough of a difference that I would care. I guess you could argue that there are chemicals in soda. But there are chemicals in almost everything we eat, many processed juices included.

So, I don't get it. Thoughts?

Aileen wins for "best response"!!!!!

You really think giving my kids orange juice and %100 apple juice diluted with a bit of water that is made from Michigan apples is like giving them Sprite ? That's crazy . Should I give them a glass of water with 20 sugar packets instead of the juice ?

We don't do soda or juice unless someone is just craving apple or orange juice which happens on occasion with my youngest son and my husband.

I agree with you. What I found laughable about a lot of the responses on the other post were the "my kids drink water, milk, and lemonade but NEVER, EVER have evil soda" ones. LOL any idea how sugar-laden and acidic lemonade is? Talk about junk! Lemonade has more sugar and calories than soda does, ounce for ounce, and some brands have the same acidic ph of cola. Just goes to highlight how uninformed we can all be.

I think cake is much better for my kids to eat at lunch than pie.

Fruit juice is a real food, not a manufactured one like soda.

My main issue with soda is that most of it is made with HFCS, and NOT sugar. I can taste the difference, and my body can tell the difference. There are a few sodas made with real sugar, and I buy those when I buy soda. My favorite soda - Abita root beer.

You are comparing two entirely separate products.

If I squeeze an orange I will get 100% orange juice with its' natural sugar,fructose. If I squeeze a can of Sprite...I will get Sprite and its' added artificials sugars and chemicals.

I will let my kids eat an orange...I will let them drink the juice from that whole food.

It all depends on the juice you are buying...some are 100% fruit. Others are filled with added sugars, corn syrup and other chemicals. So, yes, there wouldn't be much difference between your comparison of juice vs. soda pop.

It is all common sense. Water is best. !00% juice is just fine but no more than a specific amount of your caloric intake...and soda pop in moderation.

Just some of my thoughts..but then again I am no expert.

I don't get the "soda is the devil" mentality...for the same reasons you listed above. The only really good for you drink is water. We drink a lot in our house. But we do have juice for the kids, they will have a glass per day.

We do not keep soda in the house, but it's allowed when we are out sometimes.

There are so many things that are "bad" for us, so it alway shocks me when people latch on to one thing and say how horrible it is, without looking at everything we put in our bodies.

I didn't read Bumblebee's post, but here is what my thoughts are on juice vs. soda:

Juice can have just as many calories as soda. Yes, it's better to eat the actual fruit than juice, mainly b/c to get a cup of juice from fruit takes a LOT of that particular fruit, so its again very high in calories. Drinking doesn't fill you and you still eat and wind up consuming more calories than you should.

Most juice has added sugar. If you look on the box it usually only has between 10-35% fruit juice the rest is sugar and water and therefore not as good for you as you would think.

Now what I've been told by my doctor and from reading articles is that you want 100% pure juice ( well most have water otherwise they are EXTREMELY expensive due to the amount of fruit used to make it.) No sugar added and no artificial flavors or colors.
You have to read the labels b/c even some "100%" juice has sugar etc added to it.

Again you want to dilute it due to the high calories, but if your only concern is sugar etc it is fine. You want to be mindful of where the juice is manufactured b/c regulations vary from place to place as to what can be added and what is deemed safe.

Also even if you make it at home some of the benefits of a particular fruit are lost when making the juice and you should always have the fresh version in your diet. I know there are some juice machines that say you can put the whole fruit in a not lose any of the nutrients. I.E. Apples are a good source of fiber, but you need to eat the skin to get that fiber. In making juice you often peel the apple then press it, thereby losing the fiber.

Also what we buy in the store is filtered and loses a lot of its benefits, fresh pressed apple juice is not that clear! You can however buy some that has not been filtered.

Again, you never want to drink all your calories or get your nutrients in that form.

You never get any benefits from soda and I believe that is why juice is better. I don't do a lot of either, we drink a lot of water. Water that has been filtered to remove as much heavy metals, pharmaceuticals etc as possible. When we drink juice we use portion control, meaning a cup 8 oz, sometimes less,but never a large cup 12-24 oz and think its one serving.

Sugar in and of itself it not bad, all fruit has sugar its a matter of simple vs complex. However to a diabetic sugar from a piece of fruit or from cake can have dire consequences. I just learned that from a diabetic friend so I think moderation is the key.

I do not make my own juice. I will one day, haven't decided on a juicer I want. I think everything needs to be in moderation. I also think you can always find someone to support your beliefs or some study so everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I guess I see 2 differences.
1) HFCS vs natural sugars, which another post covers well.
2) setting up lifelong habits. I don't know many adults who drink juice all day - at some point we move past juice. Yet, I do know adults that drink soda to the exclusion of almost any other drink, except maybe a morning cup of coffee. So to me, I don't buy soda now to try to encourage healthier lifelong habits. Who knows if it will work, but I can try.

it's just like the "my kids don't drink Kool-Aid" - I freely admit - mine do. Do I know they are "empty calorie drinks"? Yes. I do. However, my kids know a thing called MODERATION....

Soda? My kids drink soda. They MAYBE have one or two a WEEK.

Why do I allow it? I drink Coke. I'm not going to tell my kids they can't have something that I can....that doesn't float in my house. If I tell them - "it's not good for you." I KNOW they will turn around and say - "Well, WHY are YOU drinking it then?" Only answer i have is the truth - I like the taste...I tried to quit and will try again....

My kids get HEALTHY meals....snacks and such...I'm not going to stress over kool-aid or soda. My kids know about them. They are NOT told they can't have them - so if they go to a friend's house whose mom DOES allow it - they don't go nuts...which is what can happen. They have learned MODERATION....

nutritionists don't measure everything. it's like those stupid ads monsanto ran for a while with derpy smiling people saying 'experts have measured the effects of high fructose corn syrup and it doesn't fark up your system any worse than sugar! eat high fructose corn syrup! sugar is sugar.'
and in a limited test that measures blood glucose levels, they're exactly right.
but we evolved on this planet along with the foods we eat, and when we eat them in their most natural form, there are a host of enzymes and nutrients that work together to process it all efficiently and correctly. white sugar and corn syrup just can't compete.
juice doesn't compare to eating the whole fruit. sugar is really not the same thing as naturally occurring sucrose. and that's even before you get into the whole pesticide and chemical thing.
i'm not thrilled at kids getting pumped full of sugar, which is a systemic poison. i'm even less thrilled at having them eat actual poison. and that squicks me out about juices for more than the sucrose.
khairete

1 / 3