Socks and Shoe on a Child That Is Never Happy

Does anyone have any ideas my daughter who is 5 hates to wear socks. They hurt she says and she complains about her shoes. We have tried seemless which for a while works. Shoes we change constantly. It is a battle everyday. help.. mom losing her mind

When my girls were small, it was nearly impossible to keep socks and/or shoes on them. LOL! Now, I experience that with my granddaughters, ages 5 and 3. What my daughter discovered was that in giving them free rein to choose their own accessories, they felt like such a "big" girl. Now, I'm here to tell you that sometimes the results are hilarious...one blue sock and one red sock. But, hey, their developing their own unique fashion statement. LOL! ~Simply D.

I have to go with Mama-Mia T's advice. Sometimes it's a sign of autism, not ADD, as another person's advice said. ADD can have other disorders that go hand in had with it, but it's not ADD that causes it.
I would have her evaluated.
Good luck to you.

Hi C. -

Have you tried Crocs? The toe box is wide enough that it doesn't seem to make the sock seam rub the side of the foot. Plus, they have the lined Crocs now that may mean you could forgo socks. My 5 year old son is extremely particular about socks and is always saying that the socks aren't right or hurt, so I understand the frustration. The Crocs helped us. Hope you find something that works.

A stay-at-home mom of 3 (5, 3 1/2, 1)

We went through this once with our 3yr old and we discovered that wearing the socks inside out worked best for her. The inside of the socks feel "grainy" ya know, and that seems to be what was bothering her. The outside of the sock is more smooth. Good luck!

I have this battle with my 6 year old. Same battle with wearing a coat over long sleeves. It's a sensory issue. We are looking into something called Sensory Integration Disorder for my son. It is when the brain interprets information from the 5 senses differently (usually more intensely) for the child. Everything is more intense for them, food textures are disgusting and may make them gag, sounds that are of normal volume can be horribly loud for them. Same problem with smells. For my son, socks in shoes or sleeves under a coat, are just too much for him. The layers, if they don't sit just right, completely flat, then the tiny bump may be like a knife cutting into them.

my 4 yr old son is similar, very sensitive to materials and how clothes fit him. I let him chose his clothes, and help him make in his choices. He wants all tags off and is very particular about the socks. If you can find socks that are soft and don't have seams that bother her. Shoes are tricky, too. I try shoes that are wider and comfy. Forget 'dress-up" shoes... have you tried crocs? Maybe not the style you prefer, but they are comfortable and you can get the "wool" liner for winter. I know a little girl who wears them all winter long without socks. It sounds like your daughter's issues are very real to her, and it is not uncommon. My daughter is on the other extreme, she couldn't care less about what she's wearing... doesn't notice is shoes are too small or pants too tight. So, let her be the guide in finding shoes that don't hurt her feet. My son is mostly in sweats, because they feel the best to him. Good luck!

Your daughter sounds like me when I was a little girl. I still tend to have issues with socks, seams, and tags. With socks, there were two issues. One was the seam at the toe that cut across my baby toe knuckle that was very uncomfortable. The other issue was the sock bunching up at the top of my foot where it meets the tongue of the shoe. I found that turning the socks inside out did seem to help, as did finding socks that were more L shaped (less bunching at the top of the foot). I also hated when my socks bunched up under my feet and/or toes, so kinding socks that were a snug fit without being too big was key. My feet are just a little wide and getting shoes that are sized wider than average also helped give my feet enough room so my socks wouldn't bunch up or cause the toe seam to cut into my toes.

I'm finding that my 2 year old son has similar issues, so I'm very careful about how his layered clothes lie against his skin, how his socks fit around his toes, etc.

While I know this is driving you mad (it drove my mom mad, and me too for that matter), I'm sure there is a solution to the problem. I would try some of the simpler suggestions first, like turning socks inside out or trying lined crocs. (Although I have heard crocs are not really good for your feet because the toebox is SO big that regular shoes all feel too tight.)

If that doesn't work, then look into what Suzanne posted about sensory disorders. Talk to your daughter's pediatrician and see what kind of information you can get there as well.

I would have her evaluated.
Good luck to you.

check out sensory integration disorders and see if she fits the profile-then find a good occupational therapist ( OT ) to help desensitize her- good luck-she can grow out of it

Give it up. Pick another battle. I pick my battles like this... Will it effect their eternal progression? Will it affect their life as a productive member of society? Will they do it when they are walking down the isle to get married? Could they do it when they meet the president? Socks... well her feet might stink and she might get blisters. Sounds like something that she might decide to change all on her own. Of course, we do not buy new shoes because they have worn out early or stink. That is a consequence that she has chosen.

1 / 3