Social Security Number Needed to Enroll Kids in School??

I just got a list from our school district with the documents that are needed to enroll my kids in school here, and one of the things is the kids' social security cards. Is this really any of the school's business? I thought that was more for the IRS and kids didn't need a SSN to be able to attend school. I'm guessing it's used as an identifying number for their records. Can you ask the school to assign a state-issued number and if so does this cause any hassles down the road?

Thanks for the advice. The schools asks for a birth certificate as well so that covers citizenship. I'll just ask for a state-issued number.

I've never, ever put my kids SS number on school documents, never had an issue because a birth certificate is enough proof of citizenship.

It's needed to insure citizenship.

It is used as an ID number. I wouldn't give my son's number so the state assigned him one. Despite what another mom said, it isn't a result of anti-immigration. It is a unique number to your child. The state will assign
one without issue.

When we moved here from another state and enrolled our son the admissions office at his school said do not fill out the SSN. That is FWISD and I do not know where you so another district may be different. I would call the school board office. Good luck

You can use a state issued number in Hawaii. They use it as a ID number for schooling. Call the school and say that you want a state issued number.

Yes, it is for the IRS. I would hesitate giving that information as well. They probably need some sort of verification of who they are, so perhaps a bank statement (if they have a savings account - block out all info - especially account numbers and balance - but leave the name and address) or birth certificate would be okay. I would be curious to see if they take anything else.

I live in Frisco, and felt the same way as you. I was told it was needed as a way to track a kids performance all through school (data anaylsis). I was also given the choice to let the state assign an ID, which we did for both boys. No big deal. Every year you have to re-enroll your child at the school. But now Frisco ISD enrollment is on line, and I can actually see the ID that's been assigned to the boys. So you should be fine not giving it. The only time I have provided their SS is for our health care provider and our taxes. Good luck.

I don't blame you for not wanting to give the number. Hey, it bothers me to no end that the doctor's office here where I live asks for my kids' socials. I don't think it's any of their business. Social security numbers laying around everywhere just adds to fraud.

1 / 3