Snobbery? or Am I Being Too Sensitive?

My daughter belongs to a social group that is supposed to foster good self esteem and behaviors. But the girls are all well off. We are comfortable, but do not feel nor act well off. These girls are always getting into trends of buying and going places that either I don't like or can't afford. The worst of the kids (says overtly mean things) is the leader's child; and she does not correct this child who always seems to be trying to set up in groups and out groups. Guess where my dd keeps ending up? My daughter doesn't want to quit, she likes these girls and is trying to balance liking them and wanting to be like them with her own awareness that some of them are being mean to her..... Recently they outright lied to her and told her she couldn't go with them somewhere because she didn't live in the right place! I found out this was not at all true! How much should I interfere? should I just support dd while she works this through??

Thanks for the advice all! DD is 8 so I need to help some, and the leaders kid di some of this behaviors right in front of her mother so I know I cannot count on help there. I tried to put my dd in another group of the same sort but they were full. We spent some times talking about it and at this point dh ad I are working on letting d work it out. We spoke to her at length about how groups can have different characteristics based on the people that are in them and that perhaps another group or organization would be a better place for her to learn. I am frustrated though because I feel that this group IS supposed to be good for her and that she is being denied an important opportunity because of this clique. (It's not just one - she just the worst -it is several really and they are all supported by their parents in their attitude). I sent he word up the organizations chain of command in as gentle and politick way I could and will see what happens. Either dd decides to change groups, the organization finds another group for her or what.....

how old of child? can be a teaching lesson, show her all are equal no matter what.

Since I'm a single mom with 5 kids and have very little money and my 9 year old has all the kids with huge houses some mcmansions, but they all are friends.

You need to just teach right/wrong but otherwise she needs to learn and you need to just be there for her.

Sounds like bullying tactics to me.

Write the Massachusetts Medical Society for their tip card:

"Bullying--It's Not O.K. When Your Child is the victim, the Bully, or a Bystander

Hope this helps. D.

Your daughter coms first. Make sure she is not trying to bond with these "mean girls" because you want her too. Ask her if she truly wants to be freinds with these girls and let her know that she has an option and she should never feel subject to "mean girl" behavior.
Growing up is hard she'll learn quickly about who and what a true freind is.

I also liked Faye's advice. I think we have to let our kids learn things, even if the process might be painful. If she makes the choice to separate from these girls, it truly makes her a stronger person. Totally keep an eye on the situation, make sure to talk to her about it, and if she wants out, let her out. There are always ways to respond to her to give her something to think about without coming right out and saying what you want to say .... when she complains about something they've done, tell her that you think that was awful, very mean, and you would be very upset is you were her, or you understand why she is upset, then ask her how she plans to handle it, and offer suggestions on how she could if she seems to want that. If anything seems to be getting out of hand, she becomes very withdrawn or her behavior changes drastically, I would be on the lookout for some bullying escalation, and would then consider stepping in.

And if you, as mom, don't like the activities that are being chosen, speak up. Your money is being spent here, you don't have to go along with that.

Girls can just be so mean.

I don't think your being oversensitive. Now is the time to teach children tolerance and the value of a dollar. If the group leader's daughter is the one who is causing most of the problem I would suggest that you speak to her because isn't this group supposed to be about building self esteem? If the leader will do nothing and gives you the kids will be kids theory then I would suggest trying to find something else for you daughter to become involved in. How bad is it affecting your daughter? If she can take it then I might, might consider letting her stay but the fact that they lied to her shows me that they don't care too much for her and maybe she cares more about them then they do her.

Are you talking about the Girl Scouts? I am a new leader with a Daisy troop in Newark. The leaders are supposed to know better. Not to mention the laws and promise we are supposed to be teaching the girls and following ourselves as leaders.

Sounds like a stuck up group! I would take my daughter out and place her somewhere else. This is a part of the reason I wanted to lead a troop instead of putting my child into someone elses, people and usually adults can be downright rude.

If you do place your child somewhere else I would find out who the council for your daughters leaders are and let them know what is going on.

The best thing to do would be to pull aside the leader and have a heart-to-heart. You don't have to disclose your personal situation, just give examples of what you have observed and the impact to the girls overall.

If you aren't comfortable with this and thisis a group that is part of a larger organization, I think you should consider documenting the negative events (you can leave out names, but include dates/times) and report the situation to the organization.

The final straw would be to pull your daughter out for a while and organize some fun activities with the girls who act favorably and whom your daughter enjoys spending time with.

If this organization is sanctioned or supported via a school, I would also suggest talking to the school councelor. They are in a position to handle these situations and will keep the source cofidential.

I think the best thing to do may be to help ease your daughter into the realization that this is not a healthy environment. If you force and push, it may make her cling to the group more.
Listen when she complains and is sad and instead of giving advice say, well what are you going to do about it? Ask her what effects she thinks her actions will have and let her go forward with her idea without criticizing her or giving advice. Wait till she asks you what you would do before you give advice.
Most children end up making the right choice in these situations if they are allowed to be listened to, comforted and encouraged to find their own solution to the problem. It also keeps lines of communication open as they don't feel like your going to attack their choices or the other people involved.
good luck

Hi S.:
The age of your child makes a difference. When the children are younger (say 6,7, or 8 years old), it's best to intervene to help all the children involved become more sensitive teenagers down the road. I would call the parent(s) and explain what's happen and enlist the parent's help in this. Parents of kids at this age are often mortified when they find out their child is behaving in this way. By the way, often a younger child of a leader like this feels entitlement specifically because she is the leader's child. Then perhaps all of you could sit down and help the children talk it out. If you don't get a good response, then I would discuss with your child pulling her out from the group.
But my feeling from reading this is that your child is older. If your child is in middle school or high school, unfortunately this process of trying to find your niche is part of the age. I would listen to her issues and help her think them out. You might guide her in how she can talk to them to try to make it better. I would tell her sympathetically but clearly why you don't like the way they treat her, and that you think she deserves to be treated well. And stress that you hope she would never treat a child like that. You might also encourage her to cultivate other healthier friendships - ask her to invite someone from outside that group to do something fun together. As far as the shopping and going places part, that's a different issue. Don't cave to this group's pressure. If you don't like where they're going, don't let her go. Have talks with her about why you won't allow her to buy frivolous things, and then don't let her - especially in this economy. Those things are always in your control, and you should stick to your values.
It is so hard to be the mom in these instances. I can hear your outrage at these children's behavior. Try to focus on making your child evaluate what makes her truly happy (you can bet these kids don't make her happy.)

1 / 3