Snack Ideas Anyone?

Hiya everyone, I have a 3 year old son who doesn't like to eat. He won't eat meat or veggies. The only veggies he eats are carrots and cucumbers and of course they have to be raw. He loves apples, watermelon, pineapple, and a few other fruits. He loves bread and cheese and milk but gets constipated pretty easy when he has too much of those. I was wondering if anyone out there has any good fun snack ideas that I could use with my son so he can be involved with the prep of the food. He likes chicken nuggets of course.. what toddler doesn't! lol :) he loves fish sticks as well. But I'm scared of him getting tired of those and not eating anything at all.. I try to stay with healthy snacks but sometimes he just won't take them. Pretzles, popcorn, and goldfish are his three main snacks thru the week. Anyway, I'll stop babbling and close this for now. Any and all suggestions would be VERY GREATFUL!! Thanks in advance!!

Here's a good snack idea you might want to try.
Spread peanut butter on a tortilla put fruit example sliced pears, apples, bannanas grapes, mango etc on top then roll it up and eat it. Also another good thing to try is get veggies carrots, celery, and other veggies give it to him with some veggie dip, or ranch dressing. My son is three but, it helped us get veggies down him.

You might try sweet potato chips. Take a sweet potato and slice it pretty thin, but not transparent, maybe 1/4 inch or so. Beat an egg white and he can dip the potatoes in the egg to cover. Drip off the excess and bake on a sprayed cookie sheet in the oven. Sorry I forget the exact time and temp. I would say 300-325 until they get golden brown. 10 min maybe. My daughter loves them, and they aren't fried or have added sugar.

A nutritionist once told me just to ensure he is getting his nutrition throughout the day. Does your son like peanut butter? Peanut butter, as you know, offers protein which they need. What about yogurt? I don't think there's anything wrong w/the veggies he does eat? It's a test and trial with kids :) I have a 3 yo and soon to be 5 as well. Good luck, and let us know how it goes :)

R.

Hi C.. In my experience with my 4 1/2 yr old daughter let your son eat what he wants. They don't seem to get tired of the same thing day after day and my daughter was and still is a very picky eater. Try Nutripals, either the bars or the drinks. There are times when that is the only thing my daughter will eat regularly. Good luck!!

HI!
I know your situation all too well. My daughter use to only eat meats and maybe a tomato here and there. But she grew out of it. She wanted more variety and would pick food off of our things. So I would recommend dressing up the food a bit more. You say he loves apples, stick some toothpicks in them (legs) and scewer some carrots or grapes. He's three so I think he'd be ok with the toothpicks. Another my daughter likes is the "worms." I get a straw (in stead of a toothpick) and bend rolled up ham, you could add in some cheese so he'll want to eat it. Does he like cereal? You could ask your pediatritian if he's having enough nutrition, if not smash up vitamins and add them into the cereal.

Its hard to get toddlers to eat a variety of foods, I have a four year old who eats everything except spinach and asparagus and 2 year old daughter who eats only bologne by itself, popcorn, and spanish rice with beans. I too have tried everything for her, but I just cant get her to eat either. My son is more hands on so my snack suggestion is celery and peanut butter. Of course I dont serve him a whole lot of peanut butter, but I put some on his plate and let him dip it in himself. They have both helped me make little pigs in a blanket with cheese. (biscuits little saugsages and cheese) Some kids just find their favorites and stick to them until they are ready to try different tastes on their own. I have my lil girl help out with food prep, but it still doesnt get her to eat.

Hi C.:

Something I would do with my daughter when she was young was make a big munchy tray with a variety of everything good and colorful. For example, I would cut up slices of lunch meat and roll them up like hour de'vours, sticking colorful toothpicks in them, cut up some cheese into cubes, slice bananas, carrots sticks, celery w/ cream cheese/peanut butter, raisins, apples, things that you both like, and place them on a "mystery" food tray (cheap serving trays with cute pics on them) and that would be our supper. I'd put in her favorite video and we'd get to sit on the floor japanese style, watching whatever her favorite video was at the time, and if she'd guess what the mystery pic was on the tray before she was done, she'd get a special treat for dessert--like a small scoop of ice cream or a small piece of chocolate. We'd make games out of food and I'd never force her to eat anything she doesn't want. Now, she eats everything in sight! :-)

Another trick my mom used to use on my sister (who was extreeeeemely picky) was to take whatever she was making for dinner and send a plate up to a neighbor's house. The neighbor would invite my sister over for a "special" meal (my mom's) and she'd eat it there. Guess Mom took advantage of the old adage that food "always tastes better at someone else's house."

Hope these ideas help you out!

Does he eat pancakes? Try putting pureed vegetables (or baby food) in your pancakes. For example: make blueberry pancakes with pureed carrets, sweet potates, or squash. Or strawberry pancakes with pureed peas or green beans. Than you can use a low sugar or no sugar suryp.

You might try recipes for making your own bread and goldfish crackers (I like the dining on a dime cookbook) - you can throw in pureed veggies and even meat in some of them.

According to my pediatrician, stop stressing. Give him a vitamin and let him eat.

1 / 3