Smelly Paint

My husband recently painted our laundry room with left over paint that we had from a few years ago. It has been over a week and it still smells so strong I can hardly be in there. I assume that it is because the paint was not new. Any suggestions on how to get the smell to go away? BTW, we keep the door open and have had a fan on for days. Thanks.

The air purifier/ionizer's will get rid of the smell. They are expensive, so, maybe you could borrow one for a few days. I use one & it's great. We have even put it in our cars to get rid of the animal smell that comes with sheep skin seat covers when they are new. Good Luck!

Get one of those canned odor absorbers from the hardware store. They work really well!

If your paint is a few years old and it smells this much, it could be that your paint has gotten moldy. Paint has to be stored in an area that doesn't have a lot of temperature fluctuation. You may have to repaint a room with "KILZ" (found at any Menards, Home Depot, etc....) Generally, because of that concern, I don't keep ANY paint that is over three years old. You can usually tell when you open up a can, by its smell, if the paint has gone bad - maybe sometimes it is not as noticeable until you work with it. It is not a chance worth taking, especially in a room that will get a lot of temperature/moisture fluctuation anyway.

I did look up on-line and found some information about your concern.

http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/services/question.php/pa...

They, too, suggest "KILZ". Years ago, on our old home, I used this product on a cement basement floor because there was some pet odor. It worked great to seal out the bad smells. Good luck!

A open bag of charcoal has worked for me or just fill up a bix mixing bowl and top it off. Hope this helps.

Unless you used low VOC paint, that smell you smell is pretty toxic. Be aware if anyone starts developing respiratory symptoms. You could try to wash to walls down w/ a nontoxic cleaner. Wear a mask & gloves while washing the walls. If that doesn't work, you might have to paint over it with a Low VOC paint to seal it in. In the meantime, don't spend any length of time in that room & remove laundry promplty so the fumes don't seep into the clothes which will seep into your skin & be toxic. I do a lot of environmental medicine as a Naturopathic Doctor. If you have any more questions or concerns, call the office at ###-###-####
Dr. Alicia

1 / 3