Smelly Head Syndrome....

Good morning, I need some advice, please. I have a 6 year old son who has developed a smelly scalp. It smells like dirty hair. I dont know if anybody has experienced this in their child. He takes a bath every single day, after playtime and at night. He does sweat a lot and is very active. We shave his head every couple weeks. He has dark thick hair thats grows really fast. I shampoo and condition his hair and leave it on for at least 5 minutes. I scrub and rub his scalp with the shampoo but it doesnt get rid of the smell. I have done everything. Fresh linens every day, vacuum and dust their room every day, trying to figure what it is. Have any of you moms experienced this? How did you solve it or at least what else did you try?
As a side note, his dad is more concerned about this. I know my kid is clean and I do everything possible to keep both my boys spic and span but their dad is driving me nuts with this.....

I have a smelly scalp too, apparently, b/c who, after all can smell their own scalp. Only, mine smells nice. Like sugar cookies baking. It has nothing to do with my shampoo or conditioner. When I sweat, or go a few days without washing, it smells even nicer.

All 3 of my older kids have it. Totally smells like their head is dirty. they take showers at night, mainly because getting 3 preteens to shower in the morning...yeah-anyway their head smells dirty in the morning. I did ask the doc about it and it is from sweat as they do not have any health issues. All their tests come up fine each year and my son gets extra tests due to a bleeind disorder. It does not matter how short the hair is. It is from the scalp. You can try using tea tree shampoo or add a little vinegar to the shampoo. I have not tried the vinegar yet but it was suggested.

He sweats in his head but the problem is in his kidneys. My daughter had a subacute kidney infection when she was 14 years old. She stank even a few hours after a shower.
I am a trained homeopath and I cured it with homeopathy. In Southern California there are many good homeopaths. Find one you trust and use her/him for your basic health needs both uncomplicated and serious.
Elizabeth the Queen Mother lived to 102 because Marjorie Blackie was her homeopath.

Updated

Little boys are very smelly little creatures. I should know. I have a son and have been around a jillion little boys. Their little heads stink when they get sweaty.
You're doing everything right. You're keeping him plenty clean. I just wonder if his scalp is producing more oils as a result of you washing his head twice a day.
I know your son is only 6, but Old Spice makes some of the best smelling body washes and shampoos. It smells so clean. My son always took a shower at night and used it and still smelled great in the morning. I've even used it. It's not harsh or overdrying and like I said, it just smells clean. My son has fine, blonde hair, but lots of it. We keep his hair short too.
Try using a different product.
Try maybe only washing his head once a day.
It's worth a try.

Best wishes.

My son has the same issue, I had to wash his hair and use nails (like scrub the shampoo into his scalp), lightly mind you, the shampoo was just not removing the dead skin, it was only cleaning his hair.

I have to agree with the those who have suggested a check up with the pediatrician. That is always a good idea when there is a symptom you can't find a cause for.
I know there are some medicated shampoos that treat fungal infections on the scalp. One is Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength or Inensive Treatment. There are also tea tree shampoos that help with that too. They are sold over the counter, so you can get them easily. It is possible that a fungal infection could be the problem and you wouldn't know it.
Still, I would take him to the doctor and ask. A barber might be another one you could ask if the doctor says he's fine internally.

I agree with Dawn B. about checking for internal issues, but also want to add that sometimes people with over active oil glands or a particularly oily head will have a smelly scalp.

In the interim of seeing a doctor, perhaps avoid using a conditioner after shampooing. Your shampoo and conditioner (especially if they're of the deep moisturizing variety) might actually be blocking the pores in his scalp, thus trapping oil and causing a dirty smell. On top of that, try a clarifying shampoo or dandruff shampoo. That might open up the pores and get a good exchange of air going. LOL.

Try clarifying shampoo made for oily hair and skip the conditioner! I use Aussie brand, but I have also used Tresemme and was happy with it as well!

I think Laeh makes a really good point. I would take him to your ped and get a urine test done and a blood test. Ask them to use a butterfly needle because that's much less painful and scary than a regular one. (I wouldn't go to a ped who didn't have butterfly needles or quick strep tests when my kids were little!)

I would really want to know that there wasn't an internal reason for this problem. You have a symptom here that is abnormal, and though a smelly head is an annoyance, there might be something bad that is in the works in his body that you need to know about. Whether homeopathy or regular medicine is the answer, I don't know. But you need to know WHAT the problem is in order to treat it.

1 / 3