Smelly Diaper Champ

We've used the diaper champ for 17 months now. For the first year or so the odor was easily controlled. Now we can't seem to get rid of the odor. We've tried oust (supposedly kills germs and smell), baking soda, washing the entire diaper champ (admittedly maybe not frequently enough), changing bags more often to name a few.
Does anyone have other ideas? I don't want to get a new one for my second child.

I have washed it in warm bleach water and now have it drying and airing out outside. Unfortunately in our apt complex I don't have a sunny spot to leave it in. I miss having the diaper champ in her room during this process.
I have tried the dryer sheet in my kitchen garbage and will put it in the diaper champ. It seems to help.
I agree that plastics absorb odors however I still hate the idea of throwing it out...diapers are a big enough drain on environment.
thanks for the advice. i may just need to be more vigilant on cleaning.

Hello! I had the same problem right around the same time(more solid food I'm assuming) - baking soda didn't work for me either, but here is what finally did the trick: Clean the diaper champ with bleach to start new, let it air out and then buy a sealable jug of Folgers Coffee. Put the coffee in the garbage bag when you put a new bag in. If it's been a rough week, put another cup full of coffee in the bag. Don't put it in the top, where you put the diapers because the granules glitch up the closing system - just open up the top like you're going to put a bag in a dump it in.

Worked for me

We had a diaper genie and after a while it smelled too. I think the plastic absorbed the odors. We resorted to using normal small plastic trash bags set into a box for a garbage can. When the bag was full, it would go out. Once the box started to smell, it went out too.
One possible solution is Borax placed in the bottom of the champ.

I haven't been able to read everything (there are A LOT of responses), but I thought I would add...sprinkle a little baking soda in the bottom after you clean it. It will definitely help to soak up some of the smell!!!

try putting new dryer sheets in bottom of pail, i've use this for our kitchen grabage pail seems to help

Hi - I used one of the Delakor diaper pails for a long time, until I could not take the smell anymore!I thought I might be able to use it for a second child but gave up because it just stunk. I just recently went and bought a $15 dollar one from BabysRUs that takes normal garbage bags.It came with a disc that is supposed to help with the smell and it does a little. I now just figure I cant let the poopy ones stay in the pail in his bedroom, they have to be taken outside right away. Kind of a hassle but that is the only thing I have found works to control most of the odor in the pail. I figure that I can just go and buy a new one since it is inexpensive when the other one gets too stinky! I think they all start to smell after awhile, no matter what you do to clean them.

Here is another idea: try doing elimination communication. Our cloth diaper pail never smells bad. Most of the poops go into the potty. We went traveling last week and at 6.5 months she did not poop in a single diaper the whole trip. I would say that most poop in diapers slowed down by 2 months and only had a few a week. Even when we went traveling at 4.5 months for a whole month she had only about 6 poops in diapers.

We used the diaper champ with our first child (now 4 yrs old) until he was about 2 and we had the same problem. We just went out and bought a new one. Then we never used it! When our new baby came (now 18 months) we just started throwing the poopy diapers in a grocery bag and straight out to the main outside garbage can. With two in diapers we would have been changing the Diaper Champ a couple of times a day anyways. The wet diapers are just thrown into the kitchen garbage since they don't stink. I'm not sure how helpful I was, but that's my story! Good luck!

Worked for me

It looks like this is a common experience. We also used the Diaper Champ and could not control the odor after a time. We just put in an odor stick on thing to one of the sides but it didn't really work. We didn't throw it away but stored it for about a year before bringing it out for our second. Now, with an entirely breastfed baby, the smell is totally contained. So maybe you could give yours a rest and begin using it again with the newborn.

We ended up tossing our Diaper Genie for this same reason. I think what happens is that for a long while the plastic is thick enough to block the odor but then as time wheres on it starts to keep and hold the smell and eventually it is in the plastic which sad to say i dont think there is anything you can do to get the smell out of it once it is there. try leaving it outside? maybe like on your deck if you have one. Maybe being outside will do some good. Like I said we tossed ours and I decided it wasnt worth the money to get another one personally.

1 / 3