Smell Out of Furniture

I am trying to get the smell of urine from our dogs out of the furniture and carpet. Any ideas that really work?

Kids and Pets! It's the best stuff in the world. I think you can get it at Walmart? It works great in the laundry, too, and is now the only stain remover I use.

For the carpet, Bissel makes a "Pet Odor" formula of their carpet cleaning shampoo. I found it to be very effective.

Kids 'n Pets. It's in a White pop-top bottle with a yellow label and blue lettering. You can find it at Walmart, Target, or probably the regular grocery stores. I've recommended this like a million times on here for pet urine stains as well as all the kiddie messes, including vomit and potty accidents. It absolutely works. Old or new stains. Good luck.

carpet clean with clorox

Get a product called Kids and Pets . You can get it at Walmart in the aisle with the other household cleaners, usually close to the carpet cleaning products. It works well.

Urine B Gone - it's in a black spray bottle in the "As Seen on TV" section at Target

Hi R.! I have used Kids N Pets as well, and it works really well. If you're more green-minded, (I'm not sure about the chemicals in that cleaner) there are natural enzyme cleaners at most retail stores that would work well for the couch, or good old fashioned baking soda...shake it on, leave it for 24 hours, then vacuum it up. It looks silly for a day, but it should help at least with the carpet. Good luck!

Hi R.,

I'm copy/pasting a response that I sent to Andrea's post the other day, about urine smell in her mattress. Maybe this can be of some help to you:

A word of CAUTION: Before using any of the suggested cleaners/products that folks suggest to you, look them up on the Household Products Database: http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/
This is a governmental agency that tests the safety of household products.
A large majority of the products on the market today contain; Sodium Hydroxide, Butyl Cellosolve, Hydrochloric Acid, Lye, etc. These substances are known to cause breathing problems, skin irriations, linked to reproductive harm, and many more health issues. If, you use one of those ingredients to clean the mattress, you'll have the residual of those chemicals there for quite sometime, thus exposing your child's young sensitive systems to them.
Another Mamasource member and my customer who wrote a review on my business, regularly uses Shaklee's Nature Bright in her carpet cleaner to rid the pet urine smells from her carpet. She has a couple of older dogs and cats, that don't always make it outside.
Check out this product at my website, (also there's a free shipping special running this month):
http://www.shaklee.net/sowing4health/product/00305

God bless,
L. Amason
www.sowing4health.com

Hi R.,
Oxyclean poweder, used for laundry, mix with water and make a runny paste, put on for 10 minutes, wipe off, rinse with clean water possibly several times or vacuum any powder residue left. This gets rid of the smell 100% without leaving cover up odor from a cleaner, there will be no smell at all. Works on carpet, furniture, clothes, mattress's, takes away urine, poop, throw up, from animal or kids. I use this all the time, if on carpet I will rent a wet carpet vacuum from the grocery store or home depot, put the oxy clean on as before but also put some in the vacuum. This also helps clean up the residue left from the powder.
Good luck, this is truly the best,
SarahMM

1 / 3