Slow Cooker

Hey everyone.

Recently, my father was given a Crock Pot as a gift. I want to compile some recipes for him. I did get him the Rival Crock Pot recipe card collection but it doesn't have much that interests him...has a lot of beverages, side dishes, and snacks, and the actual meals need additional prep time (like pre searing meat etc.). I have noticed the same to be true with other cook books as well.

He wants to use his as an actual MEAL cooker. He works all day and most of time he orders Chinese or pizza. Or...he's eating something else that's not so healthy. When my mom died I made the meals but since I got married and moved two states away I can't exactly do that anymore. My brother doesn't cook (he has recently moved back in after a divorce). The two of them need help!

I know that there are all kinds of recipes out there but I am looking for one pot meals that he can easily assemble in the morning allowing him to come home to a home cooked meal in the evening. The only one pot meal I ever use mine for is my pot roast...it has meat, taters, and veggies all in one dish...that's what my dad needs.

I'd like recipes that have minimal prep time (like pre searing). Having to cook rice or noodles or a quick side is fine. Also, my dad hates anything white and creamy. Not sure why he just doesn't like it. He's Italian and loves to eat...hearty appetite.

If you could please help me by sending me your slow cooker recipes, and serving suggestions I would really appreciate it. Recipes for all seasons will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Thank you all so much! I expected a lot of repsonses but not this many! I have checked out all of the web sites you all gave me and have copied most of the recipes that were given as well. I will need to sift through and fine tune some of them simply to make my dad's job easier but you all gave me some great ideas! I even found some recipes for game meats...my father hunts. He'll especially love that! Usually he cooks all his game meat the same way.

I was even inspired by a few recipes and have decided to try creating my own!

Thanks again so very much for the overwhelming response. I think my father will be able to enjoy his crock-pot all year!

There is a recipe book called "Fix It and Forget It". It is a compilation of easy, quick recipes for slow cookers. The link to the Amazon website for the cookbook is below:

http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Forget-Cookbook-Feasting-Cooker...

One of my favorite dishes is Ribs & Kraut:

Layer boneless country style pork ribs, sauerkraut and brown sugar in the crock pot & cook about 8 hrs on med/low. I usually serve it with rolls and mashed potatoes.

I also make my veggie soup w/ either beef or venison and chili in my slow cooker.

Hi M.! I love the slow cooker recipes in the cookbook, Betty Crocker Easy Family Dinners. There is a chapter dedicated only to slow cookers. The recipes are easy and delicious. I don't remember any recipes that involved a lot of prep work. My personal favorite is the "Honey Barbecue Pork Roast with Carrots and Corn (pg121)."
Again, they are very easy recipes and delicious!
Hope this helps, S.

I also have the Fix it and Forget it Cookbook (the original one) and love it. I highly recommend it because it has so many types of recipes to choose from.

Some recipes call for cooked chicken - I precook several pounds of chicken at once by putting chicken breasts in a greased dish and bake at 350 for an hour or so until done. Then I freeze bags of the whole breasts (or chopped) to throw in the crockpot when I need it.

These are some of our favorites:

Melt in your Mouth Sausages - this one can be a sauce for pasta or a filling for a pizza (we like the Chef boyardee box kit) or put on french bread for sandwiches.

2 lbs Italian Sausage - links in 5" lengths
48 oz jar Spaghetti sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
1 green bell pepper - thinly sliced
1 onion - thinly sliced
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 cup water

You can simmer the sausage in water 10 minutes first to get rid of some of the grease, but it isn't necessary.

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low 6 hours.

Wanda's Chicken and Rice Casserole:
1 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
3 cups water
1 chicken boullion cube
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz bag frozed brocolli
2 cups cooked chicken
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on high 3-4 hours (low 6).

This is another favorite, but not from the book:
Sauerkraut Pork Roast -
about 3 pounds boneless pork roast (any boneless pork works)
16 oz sauerkraut - rinsed and drained
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp caraway seed (optional)
3 tbsp mustard

Spray crockpot and add all ingredients - stir. Cook on low 8-10 hours. (I made this once and we weren't home to eat until 12 or so hours later after it had shut off for a while and it had carmelized and was so yummy! I try to over cook it a little now to get that same taste)

I like to make ribs in my crock pot.Just buy boneless country ribs.

Place the ribs in the crock pot and add some Adobo seasoning to taste, that is it no liquid. Cook on low all day or at least 6 hours. Drain the grease of the ribs and add any flavor BBQ sauce( i like honey), let cook for an additional 30 minutes or so and enjoy. My kids and husband love these they are very tender and extremely easy.

M. - go to www.fromourhometoyours.net
There is a book called: Fat Little Crockin Cookbook. My mom just purchased this book and it is full of quick and easy meal ideas all for the crock pot! Enjoy.

It's called Chicken in a pot. Put baby carrots, diced celery, and one big onion in the bottom of the crock pot. It doesn't really matter how much of each. I don't normally measure just kinda eye it as far as color or how much he likes veggies. LOL Then I put uncooked boneless/skinless breast chicken on top. Maybe like three medium size pieces. Pour 1 can of chicken broth and put some seasoning-salt, pepper, what ever he likes really. Then fill with some water to almost cover the chicken. Cook like 8 hrs on low. By the time I get home the chicken is cooked and its almost like soup. I like to break the chicken apart and then I make dumplings in it from the side of the Bisquik box. That part only takes 10 min. The dumplings make it thicker so its more like stew. He can use rice if he wants instead of the dumplings if it's easier, then it will be more like soup. I also cook ribbs in my crock pot but I do have to brown them in the broiler first but that takes like a couple min. then I pour BBQ sauce and cook them for 8 hrs on low. My crock pot has a pull out bowl that I can put stuff in there the night before and put in the fridge. When I get up in the morning I pull it out and put on the counter unitl I leave the house then plug it in before I go to work. I hope this helps. Good luck and Happy healthy eating to your dad.

I have a cookbook called Fix It and Forget It: Feasting with your Slow Cooker and I love it. Has LOTS of recipes and not all require work ahead of time. I have seen them at Barnes & Noble in spiral bound book, which makes it easier to use IMHO.

There are several different Fix It and Forget It cookbooks now, mine is just the original one, but I really like it. We are a gluten free family now, but I have found that most of the recipes convert easily enough.

Another neat resource is a blogspot I found at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ It's a year of crock potting & she has all kinds of recipes on her site. So you Dad and brother could browse around her site & check it out.

I have a recipe for making lasagna in a crock pot. its WONDERFUL! & really does taste like it's from the oven the best part... NO HOT PRECOOKING NOODLES lol

ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped (can be left out)
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 Tbsp of garlic powder
12-14 ounces ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or asiago cheese
12 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
1 Brown ground beef, onion and garlic powder in frypan.

2 Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.

3 Cook long enough to get it warm.

4 Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.

5 Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.

6 Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.

7 Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

Hi M.! My name is D. and I have some of the BEST crock pot recipes!! Actually, I have some of them on my computer saved as Word files. If you would care to give me your email address, I would be glad to email them all to you. I have a great recipe for Beef Stroganoff (only 4 ingredients!) that he can make either with rice or with egg noodles, I have a couple pork recipes that he can make beans with or a salad, I have a couple roast recipes that make the BEST open face roast beef & mashed potatoes sandwich. My supply is almost endless because I am a stay at home mom for the past 7 years and I cook 95% of the time because my husband hates to eat out :( I will send you a personal message with my email address on it so you can shoot it to me. I hope your dad and brother love them as much as my family (I have 2 kids-7 & 10) does.

1 / 3