Sleeping with Wet Hair

My stepdaughter, who is 10, washes her hair just before going to sleep then puts it up in a hairwrap and sleeps like that all night. She is frequently missing school and sick with soar throats and coughs. My husband doesn't see any correlation between the wet hair and getting sick. Am I just overreacting about this? I would appreciate any comments that would argue either side.

Nope...wet hair doesn't cause illness. Lack of sleep and bad nutrition create a hospitable environment for illnesses.

according to this article wet hair and being sick have no correlation:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Colds-and-Wet-Hair:-Mother-Was-...

My daughter sleeps with wet hair every other night, she's never sick. I get a sore throat or cough if I sleep with the heater on at night. It dries me out. Try a humidifier and see if that helps.

Good luck! C.

As a child I had lots of sore throats, many bouts with strep and tonsilitus. I don't remember going to bed with wet hair during that time. During my younger adult years I would find that I was extremely susceptible to sore throats if I was out very late... kind of when there was that dew-wy kind of atmosphere. I try to protect myself from that with a neck scarf, that seems to help. At my present age (57) I go to bed with wet hair frequently, not wrapped in a towel, just towel dried, and have not seen that it has impacted my throat in any way.

I have a couple of suggestions, the first from my chiropractor. The NOW brand ElderZinc. It is zinc lozenges with elderberry juice. I keep them by my bedside, and if I have the slightest thought that I might be getting sick I pop one in my mouth and let it soak my throat. The zinc coats your throat and won't let anything stick and grow into an illness. Another great item is xylitol, it is a natural sweetener made from the bark of a tree. The Spry brand has wonderful lozenges and gum. Xylitol is really good for strengthening teeth. It also prevents things from sticking in your throat/ nasal passages and thus protects you from sickness. There is a nasal wash Xlear, gum and lozenges/mints. You can get them at the healthfood store or online. A good source online is Vitacost. They have really saved me lots of $.
I hope this helps.

No. Getting sick is caused by a bacteria or a virus that has entered your body through your mucus membranes or a wound. This comes from the old myth that being cold causes a cold. It's just not true. The girl probably needs to eat healthier food and vitamins. Most sickness and prevention can be handled with diet.

The only thing going to bed with wet hair can cause is dandruff. And even then its really a worsening of the dandruff you already have not a new problem. So unless she’s saying she’s sick b/c she doesn’t want to go to school with flakes the wet hair is not the problem. Make sure she’s washing her hands well (that’s how most colds are spread) and get some zicam gel swabs for her to use when she first starts to feel sick. I used them yesterday and am already feeling better. My partner had this same cold, refused the zicam and was out sick from work for 3 days.

Wet hair and colds do not have anything to do with one another. Colds are caused by a virus, and not by being cold or having wet hair. She may be suffering from allergies instead of a cold, those can cause the symptoms you mention.

I have always washed my hair at night but I usually do it earlier in the evening (in between 7:30-8:30) and it's usually dry by the time I go to bed. I wouldn't think that's the reason why she's sick all the time. Good Luck!

I am going to keep my response simple, because it seems like others have already said the same thing.

Being cold does not cause colds...germs do.

Sorry sweetie, but your husband is right.

Good luck! C.

1 / 3