Sleeping While Kids/toddler Is Awake

On facebook I saw a post from a friend about how her preschool age child had dismantled something while she was sleeping. Thinking back I can remember other friends and family members talking about the trouble their kids get into when the parent is sleeping. Right now my son is still in a crib, so he can't just get out of bed when I'm sleeping and get into trouble...but I think I would want to be awake whenever my son is. At some point though I will have to trust him, and know that he knows right from wrong, good behavior from bad, and in general what he's allowed to do.

At what age did you allow your kids to be awake with you still sleeping? Allow is probably the wrong word to use...but right now I can't think of a better one.

Any funny stories of the trouble your kids got into when you sleeping?

Any advice to avoid possible catastrophies?

ADDED: I just want to add...in general I'm totally against this...I'm not a napper myself and also an early riser...couldn't imagine leaving him alone.

After reading these posts I can't help but think my what healthy people you are. Although I would never plan a nap when my kids were younger and awake there were times when I would fall asleep when they were awake. Mostly if I had some nasty flu or virus. I would try to stay awake until they took their naps but dammed if those buggers knew if they could just hold on a little longer..

Once with my oldest I drug him into bed and said we will nap together. We laid down and I put my arm over him so if he got up it would wake me up. I was woken to my ex (well not ex then) coming home and my son saying shhhh mom is sleeping. :) Still under my arm.

Interesting how many people are adamantly against this. I can't really nap when kids are up because I'm such a light sleeper that anything wakes me. And I do mean "anything". When I put the baby to sleep I go in with him and shut the door, leaving my two toddlers in the rest of the house playing. I often doze for a few minutes, but really I just can't sleep more because I'm too light of a sleeper.

My kids get in trouble when I'm actively watching them, so I'm not really worried about trouble when I can't see. I know it's inevitable so I just try to keep the important stuff out of sight. Mostly they just get into the stuff they can see. :)

I don't understand why the parent would be sleeping - just don't feel comfortable at almost any age. However, I'm not much of a napper at all either. For small kids - NO WAY. Irresponsible parenting in my opinion.

I'm a light sleeper. I don't nap anymore, but when I did- I took a nap on the couch, and on the couch, between me and the back of the couch I would put the awake toddler. Picture laying on your side, back against the back of the couch, knees bent, feet against the back of the couch, and there's that little triangular empty spot between your legs and the couch- that is where said toddler would be placed- basically trapped:) I put a movie on (low volume) for them. They almost ALWAYS stayed there, if they moved, I immediately woke up.

They have always been pretty quiet and respectful during nap time. I just explain that I need a nap and I will feel really bad if I don't get a nap and that we wont have as much fun that day cause I would be too tired, and I ask them what they want to watch, give them a toy and then it works!

I have an 8 month old who has yet to sleep all night, and am pregnant, my big kids are homeschooled, and regardless it's summer, at 11, 10 and 8, they let me nap on the couch for an hour while the baby sleeps. I turn on the baby monitor just like if it were night and the baby was down and my internal alarm clock is great. Even if the baby stays asleep I'm up within an hour. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's after lunch time and before snack time and my boys use it as their video game window. If I can't trust them to behave with me sleeping on the couch at their ages, how can I trust them when I sleep at night, or take a shower, or go to another floor in the house to clean or work in the yard?

In my experience, when they get older and are no longer in a crib they are usually also not napping anymore. You schedules will be more aligned and you will not be napping when he is up.

We get sitters for our kids ten and under in most scenarios... we would never leave a six year old home alone while we ran a few errands even for an hour... what is the difference? Sure if a loud noise happened or they need us... we are there but I can't remember ever sleeping when my kids were still awake.
I have migraines too and did a lot worse when I was younger. Still don't know how parents can possibly feel reasonable about planning to nap knowing their child won't be... napping that is!

We still don't like our 11 year old to be awake when one of us isn't near. She could watch bad tv, spend too much time just sitting around and eating, and it's just not necessary. I don't think a toddler should be awake when mom is sleeping. But I know some parents work until 1 or 2 am or even overnight and don't have anyone to help them. I've had this issue in my daycare quite often. I've had to counsel moms how to do it safely. I always tell them that if they are sleeping to have them in the room with them, a room that is safe as possible, high windows or windows barred, locks on the door, potty chair, sippy cup with water, but no toys that are likely to fall apart, change, or other small things they can choke on. Tv with most channels blocked or dvd player and the child knows how to start the videos. Some moms have NO CHOICE.

But if a parent is just to dang lazy to get themselves out of bed and they like to stay up until all hours for no good reason, are not even working... SHAME on THEM.

1 / 3