Sleeping Through the Night - Long Beach,CA

Can anyone give me some tips on how to get my 4 month old son to sleep through the night. He still wakes up at 2 in the morning for a feeding. HELP!!

Dear M.,
A friend recommended the book Healthy sleep habits, happy child by Marc Weissbluth, MD. After reading it and applying the techniques my five month old sleeps from 6 or 6:30 pm to 6am and rarely wakes up at 2:00am. Good Luck!

If he is not breast fed, is he eating solid food yet? If he isn't eating solids, I would suggest giving him about 1/2 tsp Gerber's rice cereal in formula. This will give him just a bit more in his tummy to maybe help him sleep through the night. Even if he is on solids, maybe giving him the cereal right before he goes down for the night will help him get through the night anyway. You can adjust the amount of cereal until you find what works best. I wouldn't suggest more then a TBLSP though as it might make the formula too thick for the nipple.

I have the same problem with my 4 month old baby, can you post some the replies you receive?

Thanks

Hi. don't know how many responses you've gotten, but, let me tell you...enjoy him not sleeping. you'll miss this time together that's made just for the 2 of you. i know you're tired and want sleep desperately. be glad he wakes up only once. he's still very very little! a lot of people will give you lots of advice, but, the best advice i ever got about anything (and my son didn't sleep thru the night until he was 3 years) was...love every stage and every hurdle, they'll be gone sooner than you relize and you'll wish for it back!!!
good luck...try to nap! : )

You've already gotten great advice. My daughter didn't stop waking up to eat completely until about a year but for the most part, she slept through the night more often after she turned 6 months and we started solid foods (cereal first-by spoon, never by bottle unless the Dr. recommends it for eating problems)

Just remember when you do wake up to feed him, to keep it dark and quiet so that he can still recognize that it's still night time. I let it be a little noisy and light during my daughter's naps so that she can differentiate the difference between naps and night. Try to avoid turning on the lights when you wake up to feed him. And the BEST advice I can give you is sleep when he sleeps. When he naps, you nap. When he goes to bed, you go to bed. You won't be nearly as tired.

I know there a lot of parents that force an un-natural schedule on their children but your child's body clocks are developing and they will put themselves on a healthy schedule over time.
Right now, your son's schedule is to wake up at 2 am but that will pass and before you realize it, he'll be sleeping 10 and 11 hours at night. My daughter now at 18 months, you could almost set your watch by for the most part with her afternoon nap and bedtime.

You don't say whether or not you are nursing or bottle feeding but I assume since he only wakes up once at night you're bottle feeding. Either way, these are both good articles that would cover each method.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031600.asp

I co-slept with my first child until he was 9 months old. He was night waking and nursing but the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" by Weissbluth helped immensely. The methodology seemed some where between Babywise (which works but is pretty harsh) and the "No Cry Baby solution". I cannot recommend this book enough: "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby" by Weissbluth, It was given to me by a friend who has three boys. Good luck and you will get through it!

All babies are different. Having said that, I recommend the book "Childwise" by Gary Esso. It has some guidelines that will assure kids are sleeping thru the night (6-8 hours) within 8 weeks. My first slept thru at 6 weeks, and my second at 3 weeks. Now my 4.5 month old is sleeping about 11 hrs a night.

Dear M.,

Hi there -- according to the Sears Baby Book (which I really think is a must-have for new mothers) sleeping through the night means the baby is asleep for 5 hours in one go. If your baby is only 4 months old, I say put him in bed with you and nurse him back to sleep -- that way you can doze once he latches on and get the most sleep possible. He will eventually give it up, but my son was a 3 am waker from in-utero till about a year old or so. Good luck. aloha JP

yikes -- a lot of advice. I'm a 2nd time mom and #2 is 13 wks old. he wakes during the night (arms breaking out of swaddle), but not to eat. All his nutritional needs are met during the day. confirm w/you doc that he's an accepatable weight and then try cluster feeding (frequent feeding) at end of day. after my son's bath I give him a 3 to 4 ounce bottle of breast milk on top of his cluster feeds. I give the bottle to accomodate his lazy sucking at end of day and my lower flow. Food will not help your baby sleep thru the night, but may produce food sensitivity/allergies. Try to hold off until 6 months.

dream feeds can help. did this w/my first one at 10pm before I went to sleep and then he could go to 5 or 6 am. night waking to eat can be a habit. if it is a bottle, try offering watered down milk until it is water and he will stop waking.

babywise, the book you were recommended by some moms, is pretty harsh. a good moderate alternative is "Surviving and Thriving During Your Baby's First Year" available at amazon or www.babygroupvideo,com. Donna Holloran, a child development expert in LA, and real moms will talk you through challenges and solutions for getting your baby to sleep as well as other issues you will deal with in coming months. best of all you can watch it while you feed your son or do stuff around your house and your baby will watch the other babies.

I agree, this time is precious, and I try and treasure the middle of the night time I have w/my son. I also know having done this before, you can treasure the day time even more when you yourself have gotten some quality sleep during the night!! good luck

Please keep in mind that sleeping throught the night for a baby means 5 hours. If he only wakes up once (and makes it all the way until 2:00) then I envy you. On a good night my daughter will wake up only once and she's 20 months! I can think of only two occasions that she actually slept "through the night" and woke up around 6:00 am. Very few of the mother's I spoken with have had babies who sleep through the night until they are much older -- many of my friends say not until after they hit the 2 year mark for their kids. Hang in there -- it does get easier (either that or you just become immune to the lack of sleep :)). Check out Dr. Sears' The Baby Book or askdrsears.com -- I almost always find what he says helpful. Good luck.

1 / 3