Sleeping Newborn - Riverton,UT

I have a newborn that was born on Wednesday. Every night she cries from 1 am to 5 or 6 am. I am not able to comfort her or get her back to sleep for a good sleep. She will fall asleep but as soon as I lay her down she is back to crying. I thought maybe it was gas but she has done it every night, the same time. Any suggestions? I am breastfeeding every 2 hours. I don't know what to do for her and I am so tired every day. I have 2 other children to take care of during the day so I only get a short nap during nap/quiet time.

A couple of things- are you swaddling her? If not, that will help tremendously.
Secondly, if swaddling doesn't help, then I would suggest just taking her to bed with you so you can get some rest. Some people are not big fans of cosleeping (me being one of them), but sometimes you do what you have to. My baby girl slept right on my chest those first 3 weeks.

For a while at that age I slept in the recliner with Isaac in the sling on my chest. It had as much to do with having had a C-section and my "bed" being a mattress on the floor as it did with him but it might be worth a try for you!

She's less than a week old. I'd say it's normal, but call your pediatrician (or lactation consultant) for a weight check.

If you know she's getting enough to eat, then I'd say it probably won't last long. Sarah S. had good suggestions.

I slept with my daughter (third child) for the first few weeks. She wouldn't sleep unless I was right next to her. I had a 3 year old and 2 year old so I needed some sleep. Have you tried co-sleeping, I didn't do it for very long, just a few weeks while she was tiny.

Good luck - you are not alone in this! Enlist some help over the holidays... maybe there are friends home this week who would help with your other kids for a few hours so you can rest?

Sounds like my son. We watched the video "The Happiest Baby on the Block". In 15 minutes he was asleep and he slept for 5 blissful hours! We did the things in the video until he was 6 months old it worked so well. Shushing still calms him down at almost 6 years old. I'm trying to remember them all. Swaddle (a must, and he teaches you how to do it so it stays in place in the video), side, suck (finger or paci-did not interfere with breastfeeding for us), shush, swing. I think that's all, but there may have been one more. If your daughter lost a lot of weight right after birth, or gains slowly, check into reflux. My 2 screamers were both (are still) reflux kids. The tips in the video gave us all good sleep, though, even without the meds. Good luck! I know what those sleepless nights are like. I'm so sorry!

Welcome to my hell with my first born. Wants to be held and rocked constantly and wants to use you as a pacifier to get to sleep instead of falling asleep on her own. Yep.. been there. Her doc thought it was colic and acid reflux cause she spit up a lot. The only thing that worked for me was to switch to the bottle so she wouldn't be so attached to me cause I was her lovey. I hated doing it but it helped and by 3 months she was falling asleep on her own and we got her a projector over her crib and she loved it. We did the cry it out method to train her it's okay to fall asleep on her own. You start out gradually and check in on her and build on the time untill she gets used to falling asleep it sucks because you want to run in and comfort her but it works. Her docotr told me about it and gave me a pamplet on how to do it so I would ask your ped. about it.
Good Luck Mommy!!

My girl did that with acid reflux. She'd wake up to nurse, scream scream scream, spit up, then want to nurse again and cry until she could. Rinse and repeat.

Doesn't sound much like what you're dealing with, but it's worth a check.

Otherwise, swaddle, swing, shush, ... (those are the only ones I can ever remember).

She just needs to get on a night time sleeping pattern. Hang in there. See if you can get any help from neighbors or friends to watch kiddos a little during the day and do your best to adjust the new baby to night vs day. ie lights on and noise around the house during the day, dark/quiet at night etc. try a little bedtime routine, soft spongebath, infant massage, etc.

Good luck! Congratulations on your new baby!! I also have 3. My "newborn" just turned 8 months old - it flew by!

Congrats on the new bundle of joy!!!!!

My first thought.....Is she getting enough to eat? I say that because I had some b'feeding issues and my daughter was not getting enough to eat so anytime she wasn't eating she was crying.

if she was born on Wed, she's about a week old, right? So, is she back to her birth weight? I know they dip a bit right after they're born, but then gain it back.... I thought the rule was within the first week (but it's been a while since I had a newborn). does she have the appropriate # of wet diapers etc every day?

if you know she is getting enough to eat then this is probably behavioral.

Does she use a pacifier? Controversial, I know. But newborns have an instinctive need to suckle. So, if she's not eating, she may still need to suck and she can't soothe herself without sucking. A paci will fix this.

Can daddy do the middle of the night feeding with either pumped b'milk or formula? that will enable you to get a stretch of sleep.

Is there anyone you know willing to help you? someone from church, your next door neighbor, a mom from one of your other kids' schools? You could pick up from school, if she will come over one night a week and do the overnights etc.

Call your ped and let them know. No, not at 2am. Call now. In the middle of the day. She can probably give you some suggestions. And at least you are establishing a documented pattern of your daughters sleeping patterns. That is relevant info for your Dr to know.

My daughter went through a phase (probably a couple weeks older than yours, I think she was about a month old) where she just had to sleep while being held. it lasted about a week. So that's what we did. We took shifts. She sorta "grew" out of it. But man was it tough!!!! Hang in there mama.

seems like Pam is back at it trying to guilt moms for not doing things the "pam" way.....maybe you need to make changes in your diet, something you are eating may be the cause. if you are thinking gas there are some abdominal massages you can do to help reduce gas or colic. please dont let people try to guilt you or make you feel bad. it is NOT true that "most" babies need co-sleeping. if your daughter needs it and you are okay with the risks then try it. but dont do it just because someone wants you to do things their way!

1 / 3