Sleeping Arrangements for Opposite Sex Cousins

I'm so thrilled that my entire family is coming to visit soon. I have two sisters, and they are married with kids, as well my parents are coming too. I have a large 3000 s.f. home and plenty of floor space, but only one bedroom that I can convert to a guest room. I was thinking of having my three- year- old daughter and her 4-year-old male cousin sleep in her room, so they can be in bedrooms and we don't have to worry so much about noise for them. My only spare bedroom will go to my sister with a baby still in the crib, and I'll take our baby in the master with us. That leaves two adult couples to hash in out in the living rooms. So the question is, how kosher is it to have a male and female cousin bunk together? And, even if there are no concerns at this age of sleeping together, will they even get any sleep?

Cool, I think the cousins will have a blast sleeping together. As for Adults in the living room, I have two living rooms, so each couple will have a degree of privacy. I think my family is in agreement that getting kids tucked in early and out of our hair makes sleeping in the living room worth it! Think I'll leave it up to my sister if she wants to take my daughters room and have her little guy in there too. And for the lady who said she wouldn't come if she were to be put in the living room, there are no such primmadonas in my family. I don't plan on dictating the sleeping arrangements. Just trying to figure out our options and we will decide together. My family is easy going, we love to have fun, and my parents can have the choicest room when we get past the baby stages. But one thing is for sure, little kids in the living room is not a good way to enjoy adult time. We'll put kids in the living room when they are old enough to stay up late (and stay our of our hair).

I would have NO concerns with them sharing a room...they might be too excited to sleep but that's half the fun of having family come to visit :)

I don't think it's a big deal that it's a boy and a girl, but you might want to "get" them to sleep in separate rooms then pop them into the same room after they're asleep.

I think it's fine to have the cousins share a room, and they'll love it, I'm sure. Might not sleep very well, but they'll have a great memory.

As for the adults sleeping in the living room, if I were visiting my family at my sister's home, knowing how many people will be there, I'd have NO PROBLEM sleeping in a living room! I don't expect people to have 5 star accommodations for me when I am staying at their home! In fact, I think it would be fun.

Sounds like you're going to have a WONDERFUL holiday with you family. ENJOY!!

You should ask the boy's Mom.... her thoughts on it.
It is her kid.... and maybe, being away from home... she/he may not want to or may want to do that. Or she may just want her kids all with her.

Also have a back-up plan.. .if it does not work, or if one kid wakes the other or they simply do not sleep well... like that.

I would have no concerns with cousins of the opposite sex sharing rooms/beds. But, personally I would have adults get the rooms with some privacy though and let their kids just sleep on the floor. Have your daughter sleep on your floor or take the couch. I think adults should always get first dibs on bed space =) We actually have a cheap little pop tent that my daughter (4) loves to share with a buddy for sleepovers--do you have anything like that?

They are four...I don't think there should be any worries about "opposite sex" cousins sleeping in the same room. I've had mine do that with their cousins...it's been just fine.
As far as getting sleep, the first night they might mess around and talk too much, but I bet they fall asleep after a while and then the other nights are no big deal. Sounds like a great arrangement...have fun!

-M

I slept with all my cousins, boys and girls until we were adults. We were always at my grandma's house or my mom's house and each place had one big room for the kids, we piled in beds, and cots and were just fine.

Here is how my mom handled it generally:
- Grandparents got first priority, they got the nicest bedroom (typically the guest room). She always just felt it was a respect thing, they earned their right for the best sleeping quarters.
- The other couples were given a kids room and if they had babies the babies stayed with them. My mom brought a cot or blow up bed in my baby brothers room one year and the parents slept in there with their baby in my brother's crib (my brother slept with my parents)
- At her house the kids all stayed in the living room (we had a living room and a family room separate from each other.

At our house we had 4 bedrooms (master, 2 kids rooms, and one guest room) so it worked perfect for two adult couples, her parents and themselves. Us kids were plopped and we loved it!

Not sure if this helps but we just ran it in order of seniority.

Good luck and enjoy!

Why are you having adults in the living room? I would put all adults in a bedroom so they can have privacy, and if needed space the kids would sleep in the living room. I would tell your family your sleep arrangements before hand though because I personally wouldn't stay if it was me.

Good luck I hope it all works out.

1 / 3