Sleeping and Sweating

I'm nursing a 9 month old lil chubby girl. At night she sweats in her head, her hair gets wet. Now that it's cold at night i'm worried she might get really sick on us. What can i do, should i wean her from breast to bottle so she won't get sick?? Do I dress her more lightly for bedtime?? I just started putting on long sleeve pajamas. Really need help..........

I had and still have the same situation with my son(he's 22months and weighs 32 pounds he's also 31 inches tall) but I never had a problem with him getting sick and he use to sweat so bad his pillow would be soaked.......maybe dress her a little lighter for bed and talk to her pediatrician see what they say.

My son used to sweat when we co slept, but he was not breast fed (wouldn't latch on) try to dress her in thinner material clothing to see if it helps, Good luck!

Sweating is the body's natural cooling mechanism. As the weather starts to cool, she should too, as long as you don't overdress her at night. Try short sleeve onesies, that's what my 8 month old sleeps in and she does just fine with a light receiving blanket (that usually gets kicked off at night anyways). If she is sleeping with us I just use a sheet since my body heat warms her too. The long sleeves are probably a little too warm for her right now. Certainly keep up the nursing. Remember, colds and flus are caused by viruses, not by getting wet/cold. Exposure to people with viruses can make your baby sick, not by getting sweaty and then cold. And, your breastmilk will help protect her from viruses she may be exposed to. Good luck!

My daughter was born with a lot of hair and has always been a big night time sweater. Her sheets would always be soaking wet from just sleeping. Your daughter won't get sick from sweating, you only get sick from germs not from the cold.
Keep breast feeding as long as you can, it's the best thing for her immune system. When you are a new mom, I think we always worry more than we should. As long as she's healthy and normal, then she's probably fine. Like I said my baby sweats too and she never got sick from being cold.

C.,
I live in a house that has no airconditioning so we are still keeping the doors and windows open at night to cool it off so it's not sweltering by midday. I have a one year old and what I do with him is keep his room closed. I shut the door and it stays about 5-10 degrees warmer in his room. He still sweats and kicks the covers off but he doesn't get too cold and I don't have to worry about the huge differences in the temperature change.
So think about a few things:
1. Is it really getting that cold in your house? (With my wondows and doors open it gets to be about 50-65 degrees depending on the overnight low)
2. Does she sleep in her own room that you can close off?
3. Did she have problems this past spring and winter?
4. Is she prone to getting sick?
If she is sleeping in her own room, I'd keep the pajamas and maybe think again about blankets to cover her, and just make sure it stays warm enough in her room. If she's not in her own room and you need it to be cold in yours to sleep, then co-sleep with her. Your body will provide enough warmth that she's not going to get sick from sweating.
Just some ideas. Hope this helps.

All babies sweat at night, at least a little, if they are in PJs. My daughter has never really worn PJs to bed. She sleeps in her diaper and a blanket. That is whether she is sleeping with us or not. But, certainly don't stop nursing because you think it will protect her from gettiing sick....jus the opposite is true! Your breastmilk boosts her immune system and PREVENTS her from getting sick. Try switching her sleeping attire, or going with just a diaper and a blanket. Good Luck!

First off, children are surprisingly resilliant and do not catch cold as easily as you would think. Second, if she sweats then she sweats. I know it's worrying, but if she's doing so she needs to. Infants body temperatures regulate themselves better than ours do. The rule of thumb is to dress your child in the number of layers you're wearing. If you're getting chilled and wearing sweats, put her in sweats. If you're sleeping in something flimsy, only a diaper. If she's on you and getting sweaty, then she's getting heated by your body, but, unless she has long, thick hair (which I doubt at 9 months), that sweat will only stick around as long as needed to cool her off. And, if you heat your house at all, she'll be fine. (room temp is usually about 72 degrees. Good rule of thumb is to keep the thermostat between 70 and 75.)

Don't worry my daughter is four and still continues to sweat some nights. She is just hot, nothing to worry about at all. If she is sweating a ton I would dress her a little lighter at bedtime, but if it's just a little bit I wouldn't change what you are doing at all. Before you know it it wil be colder and she'll probably be at a perfect temperature. weaning her would not make a difference and doctors say that breast feed babies have a stronger immune system than formula fed babies. So by all means don't wean her because of that.

I would not wean her. Thats not going to help but make her get sick possibly. You can make the room she sleeps in warmer by closing vents to the room she is in if you run air or close other vents outside the room if you run heat. I use to get my kids room a bit warmer . My daughter was alaso chubby and I always dressed her snug in winter time with long PJ.

Sounds like you're following in my footsteps. ;-) You have no need to worry. Just keep your heat on around 70 degrees and bundle her in warm pjs, but don't smother her in blankets. My daughter STILL sweats an insane amount (she's now 4 1/2 years old), but she's just a heating machine. She doesn't really care for covers either, so that's where the warm pj's come in. Don't change your nursing habits just because she's a sweaty sleeper. She'll be fine. Breathe. :-)

1 / 3