Sleep Issues with Newborn

I have 2-week-old and a 21-month-old boys. The 2-week-old has just began crying several hours a day. My oldest had issues with colick, so I know that this will not last forever. Though, if anyone knows of any miracle cures, I'm all ears!

My main issue is this: This 2-week-old little darling will not sleep at night unless I am holding him. I need advice on this. Cry it out methods need not reply, I'm not going there with a newborn. I have been sleeping on the couch at night, trying to get him to at least sleep in the swing, instead of in my arms. It works about 1/2 the night. He did have days and nights mixed up, but is starting to sort of get re-oriented. I have started waking him every 2 hours during the day to bf. He was sleeping all his long stretches during the day and waking every hour at night. (Oh, and he'll sleep anywhere during the day... he just has a holding issue at night.) My mom suggested I work on his sleeping/eating schedule prior to getting him out of my arms at night. Although... I am, of course, very concerned about the safety of this situation. I can't even lay him down next to me... he will be awake within a view minutes and crying.

With a toddler, I can't just sleep while baby is sleeping. I'm sure many of you sympathize. I am getting thoroughly exhausted and need some good, non-judgemental advice. Thanks!

For colic take him to the chiropractor, it worked for me and I've seen it work for at least 10 other people! And maybe swaddling will help with the holding issue? My newborn wouldn't sleep without being swaddled tight and having her sound machine (the sleep sheep) on for weeks.

Sorry to hear you're exhausted. I know my son was like this for the first few weeks, but by about six weeks settled down a lot. I think two weeks might be a bit early to schedule... As for colic, there's a lot of info about probiotics helping kids with colic. You can get baby probiotics at Whole Foods or PCC and they're totally safe. Hope that helps.

C.- I am there with you. I have a 2 1/2 yr old, 22 month and 3 month so I understand the importance of sleep. I found with my last two that swaddling them really well helped them sleep better. But you have to get them snug for it to work. If I don't do this my daughter will put her hands on her face and pull at it keeping herself awake.

Good luck-

You didn't state if you were breastfeeding or if it is specific times of the day where your son screams. I'm a mom of twins not a toddler and an infant so my situation is a little different. But my son was a big screamer. We found that it was one of 3 things. Gas in which case I used Gripe Water (purchase at pharmacy at Target, Natural section at Fred Meyers, New Season's or Whole Foods), overstimulation, or hungry. So to fix the overstimulation, I would wear him in a carrier. use something soft and comfy a sling or moby wrap are my personal favorites. they were comfy enough for my son to sleep but also for me to sleep with them on as well. So I would put him in one and my daughter in the other and go for a walk. Within 20 minutes they would both be asleep. The nice thing about a sling is you can leave the baby in the sling when you take it off and it will retain some warmth and your smell and hopefully allow you to take it off and have him still sleep. Hunger is pretty obvious so I'll leave it at that.

I co-sleep with my two and love it. At first yes it was a little scary but you really get used to where you can roll and where you can't. So on nights where there was no way I could sleep without him physically on me, I would wrap him in the moby walk till he fell asleep and then wear him to bed.

My favorite sling is the Kangaroo Pouch here is the website:
http://www.kangarookorner.com/

The Moby wrap website is this:
http://www.mobywrap.com/

I hope this helps you. Feel free to email me if you want more info on co-sleeping.

I remember going through this with my son, now 3 1/2, who was colicky. It was really hard, and all I can say is that it didn't last forever. It helped to talk to other parents who also had sleep and colic issues. Advice from parents whose babies were not challenging this way can just be frustrating and make you feel like a failure, because all their babies responded to things that yours do not. My husband and I would take turns holding and sleeping in shifts. He would stay up til 1 or 2 am and I would try to go to bed early, then I'd get up with the baby and he'd go to bed. It was sooo hard while it lasted, but thankfully it doesn't last too long in the grand scheme of things. Keep trying with the swing, I know people who have had that work for them. Personally the bouncy seat and carseat were useless with my son. Swaddling tightly and white noise made a small difference at that age. Pacifiers, if we could keep it in his mouth, also helped a bit. Nothing really gave us much sleep until he just grew out of it though, gradually started sleeping more at night and being awake more in the day, and then we sleep-trained him at around 5 months of age. I was completely desperate by then.

Another thought is to see if you have anyone who can take your older son during the day for a few hours, then you can sleep while the baby sleeps.

Clearly one pp didn't read your question completely, because you never said you were sleeping on the couch with the baby. Anyway, my heart goes out to you, I know how hard it is, and I hope you find some things that help. I could be in your shoes in a few months with my third baby, I'm just hoping and praying he's a good sleeper, because my older two are BUSY during the day, and I anticipate being dead on my feet.

I know others have suggested "Happiest Baby on the Block" which I found helpful with both of my kids. Also, make sure you are swaddling at night. (You may have to find something thin or use an old bedsheet cut to size now that the weather is getting hot.) I slept with each of my kids in my bed and it allowed me more sleep during the night in the early weeks.

C.-
Have you tried swaddling your 2-week old?
It makes them feel like they are still warm and cozy in the womb. It may help your situation. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. It helps teaches a new way to calm your baby and help them sleep better. It worked wonders for us. You may be able to pick it up at the local library or I know a place locally that sells them as well as the best swaddle blanket on the market. It's called My Precious Kid (www.mypreciouskid.com). The owner is unbelievably helpful, having raised 4 kids of her own. She is always willing to give advice and helpful suggestions. But I would definetly try the swaddling, it could really help.
E-mail me is you have anymore questions: ____@____.com

i have a 6 3 2 and 10 month old..... my husband works nights - When my youngest, emma was born, the way I survived was (and still do)

co-sleep.

baby slept with meuntil about 6 months....soooooo much easier

Well I have read some of the responses and well a mother of a 2 month old and 5 1/2 year old well I know where you are at. My new daughter was just like that. It does get better and you can put them down but it takes some tricks and getting things just right sometimes. Yeah swaddling might help but my daughter was one that didnt like her arms tied down. Our ped told us that we could try to swaddle her with 2 blankets that is a sure fire way to get the arms locked down. It uses their body weight to hold them down and snug. We tried the gripe water & Mylicon for gas. I tried a swing next to where I sat to feed her and that help transition her. I would sleep on the sofa so I could see and hear her. I tried as she was done feeding it seemed to unlach her and carry her on my chest next to me to lay her down. We also tried when she fell asleep hard to have my husband wake up and be the one to carry her to bed. Each time one would work and then not the other. Just keep trying things and you will find some kind of pattern to work. Falling asleep with them isn't a bad thing either.

If your little one is falling asleep at the breast and isn't burping they can get a bit gassy. You can have your husband take them for a bit and get some of it out. I know hearing them cry for a bit isnt what you want but it isnt a bad thing. He is working out the bubbles for you so you can just sit or lay down (of course not sleeping) so that feedings will go just a bit better. I also found another natural product that is quick and in a small thing you can try. It is called Colic Relief COCYNTAL by Boiron. It really worked for my little one. I have found them at the Mill Creek town center in the Natural Market and at Centeral Market. I am sure you can find them other places.

If you need someone to chat with just look me up. Good luck to you.

I also have a toddler and a 2-month old baby. With both my girls I took them to bed with me for the first month. I feel like when they are newborn they are used to being cuddled all the time and its an adjustment for them to be on the outside. By sleeping with them they seemed to transition easier to a day-night schedule. After about 3-4 weeks I started transitioning them into sleeping by themselves in the crib. I would initially put them to bed in the crib and if I felt like they needed it took them to bed with me after one of their feedings. My youngest now sleeps in her cradle at night. Sleeping with her got her used to nursing and falling right back to sleep. Now I nurse her in the rocking chair, burp her gently and put her in her crib and she goes right back to sleep.

1 / 3