Sleep and Eating - Tucson,AZ

Where do I begin? First, we found out our son has acid reflux so we tried Previcid and he had an allergic reaction to it. So, we are now on Tagament. It is not as effecitve as Previcid but slowly I think it is helping. It was also suggested to try a hypoallergenic formula, we went with Gentlease. I was still breastfeeding while introducing the formula. It has been a couple of weeks now and things are improving but he is still spitting up quite a bit. Is this spitting up normal? Also, to make things worse as far as worry is concerned, we believe our son is a tummy sleeper. He sleeps the longest on his tummy. We watch closely during naps and are afraid to do this at night. Most of the time he was sleeping on me or beside me to avoid the tummy sleeping. We were/are hoping to transition to the crib (he is about to be three months old) but feel the tummy is the only way he will sleep. Help!!!! Any advice?
Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about the tummy sleeping...for many reasons I won't get into here, but suffice to say that people have slept on their tummies for generations, and we aren't all dead amazingly enough. both my kids slept/sleep better on their tummies, I've never had any worries. If that's the way he sleeps best, then have a monitor at night or keep him close to you. To me, sleep for both is more important then fighting with a child who cannot sleep in another position. I've heard though that kids with acid reflux sleep better with their torsos elevated, perhaps that's something that you could try.

Hi D.!
I am sorry that you are having such a rough start! My baby was a TOTAL tummy sleeper (and still is) so we decided to just let everyone in the house get some rest and let her sleep on her tummy! I started doing it at around 10.5 weeks, just made sure there was NOTHING in her crib and the sheet was tucked tight. Worked like a charm and we started getting nice long stretches of sleep out of her (much needed for ALL of us!) I would be willing to bet it feels better on his reflux to sleep on his belly- not as much acid return as when lying flat. Good luck!!

Our son who is now 16 months old slept on his tummy from day one. He also had reflux. He was on special hypoallergenic formula which helped. He could not tolerate any other kind of formula. We did try zantac but I felt unsure about giving him meds at such a young age. So we took him off of it and started giving him probiotics in his bottle. Within a few weeks he stopped spitting up. He is still a tummy sleeper. At one year we tried him on whole milk and he seemed a bit unsettled so we tried lactose free milk with added probiotics and he does great. Hope this helps. Good luck

My middle child had reflux really bad, too. The doctor had given us medication for him, but he was already on 3 other meds for his heart. So, the doctor gave us a recipe for his formula. Add 1 Tablespoon (yes Tablespoon) of rice cereal for every 1 ounce of formula. So for an 8 oz bottle, you would add 8 Tbsp of rice cereal. They even showed us how to cut the nipple to allow the formula to flow better. However, Avent bottles now have a thickened formula nipple that works awesome, and they have the 11 oz bottles which gives plenty of room for the concoction! My youngest child was a belly sleeper, too. When I put him on his belly for tummy time he would pass out for hours. We borrowed our friends Angel board that detects motion, or lack there of that signals a very loud alarm. The only time the alarm would go off would be when he would move into the corners of the crib! He's been a belly sleeper ever since. Two things on this: 1.) we were all put to sleep on our bellies as babies because they were afraid if we threw up we would choke on it, and we're fine; and 2.) the death rate of SIDS has only come down 1% since the back to sleep campaign! which actually is a really low number to begin with. You can get the angel boards at Babies R Us (I think). I've seen them advertised in all the baby magazines! Hope this helps!

If he is sleeping well on his tummy I wouldn't stress about it. 15 years ago they were telling us to put our kids on their tummies to sleep... then it changed... then to the side... now back.... I have 4 kids... the youngest is 8 mos. old all tummy sleepers. I just couldn't get any rest other wise. So ask yourself, do you have the risk factors for sids? Is the baby premature? Do you smoke or anyone else smoke in the house? Are there a lot of soft blankets or toys in the crib? Can the baby hold his head up/move it around? Feel confident that the doctors don't always have the answers and that you can trust your motherly instincts. Do what you need to to make sure your baby is getting the sleep he needs to be healthy- and that you and your husband are getting the sleep you need to stay sane.

I was told that spitting was normal and fine until your baby starts walking. The reason for this is that his diaphram is contracted and it pushes on his stomach and it causes spit up. I got this info from my lactation consultant who is a former OB nurse so I believe her. My son is 11 1/2 months, not walking yet and still tends to spit up though it has decreased tremendously in the last few months. He is exclusively breast fed so I know it's not due to not being able to digest my milk.

As for the sleeping, if your son is rolling over on his own I would not worry about tummy sleeping. At 4 1/2 months my kids were rolling so we stopped swaddling them and both are tummy sleepers. I was worried too but if they can roll you have nothing to worry about. good luck.

Steph

I am a SAHM to boy/girl twins born April 25, 2008 and married to a wonderful man.

Hi D., my son also has acid reflux. He takes prevacid which I know your son can't take. The spitting up is normal depending on how long he's been on the meds. Some meds take up to a month to take full effect...it took my son somewhere around 3-4 weeks before the prevacid started working well. If he is spitting up and is obviously uncomfortable you might ask your Dr if you can also give him an OTC antacid like Maalox. That's what we do with our son. Our son doesn't really spit up anymore, but he still has reflux that is definitely uncomfortable for him. If your son is spitting up but is gaining weight and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when he spits up then you probably don't need to worry. For the tummy sleeping, try putting him on his side or back on the boppy. That's how we transitioned our son. Also, if your son is rolling over it should be okay to put him on his stomach, but I understand the uneasiness! Our son liked to be on his stomach because he slept on us in that position...so the boppy worked well because it hugged him enough that he still felt like he was being held. Good luck, if the reflux doesn't improve I would get him back into the Dr. If you're not already seeing a GI Dr you might need to go that route.

D.,
First I would like to congradulate you on your new bundle of joy, they truly are a blessing. I don't have any advice on the eating habbits, but I do as far as the tummy sleeping. My son slept on his stomach from about the time we got home from the hospital (because he would only slepp on me) until presant day sometimes and he will be 9 months on the 24th. I know if you read all the books and talk to the Pediatricians they highly frown upon it, but my thoughts are this: if your son has good control of his head and neck movement such as turning it side to side while sleeping with out getting it stuck halfway when laying face down then I don't believe there to be a problem. That was my main concern, however my son was able to do this from all the sleep and play/tummy time we did while he was laying on me the first few weeks. I have to admit the first night I put him in his crib was around 7 weeks (on his tummy) and he slept the entire night and I jumped up @ like 3 am to see if he was still breathing.... And to my surprise he was the most peaceful beautiful thing I ever saw just snoozing away. I realized that him sleeping on me or next to me in bed was making us both have restless nights of sleep. It is a hard transition to get used to when you are so used to the closeness and warth of his little body, but in the long run it is so worth it. Furthermore, eventually he started sleeping on his back during naps and then it eventually transitioned to night time sleeping. Now he just flips and flops all night from back to stomach to side to side and the head of the bed to the foot of the bed its kind of funny to see what position I will find him in each time I check on him. Anyways, good luck with everything, follow your gut/motherly instinct and just make sure he has good head/neck control and pray about and it will be easier than you think.

God Bless you and yours,

My son had acid reflux bad. It was my first child so I was completely out of my mind dealing with it. I was so scared. But we got through it and now he is 4 1/2!

My son was on prevacid for the first six months. I NEVER laid him flat; he was always angled with head up. Even in his crib I bought a foam wedge and put it under his sheets. I checked on him a couple times a night to make sure his head was pointed in the right direction (never had an issues, it worked well). Or you can elevate the crib with glass jars or something but I liked the foam wedge better, that way the crib wasn't a hazard of falling off the jars and it didn't look tacky in the room.

Spitting up some is normal but not all of the meal and everytime a child eats.

The first 6 months was hard but we got through it. Once I knew what it was and I got in routine, our son was fine.

I nursed the first 6 months so not only was my son on medicine I was on a strict diet. And I mean strict. No beef, no milk, no soy. Everything has soy in it so I could eat like 2 things. But on the flip side I lost a ton of weight and my son was happier!!! LOL!

After I stopped nursing my son was on nutramigen formula until a year.

I wish you the best. I know how it feels to worry about your precious little one.

1 / 3