Sleep??? - Anchorage,AK

Need advise , How to fall asleep and stay asleep.... Its making me crazy!!! Feel like i can sleep, as soon as I try, my head starts thinking of things that may of happen 20 years ago.Seems like I try to think of problems and solve them all night long. Then in the morning there not that big of deal!!! What the hell? I realize I cant save the world. BUT I SURE TRY ALL NIGHT! -Zzzzzzzzz!

Yes Scarllet I do have thyroid issues, And yes Shelly I do line in AK, I guess i need to choose what ales me first I , Stress Or Sleep? iM SURE ONE CAUSES THE OTHER! -----Rrrrrrr!

I hope this comprehensive link helps you:

http://itsnotmental.blogspot.com/2009/01/sleep-timing-of-...

Have a notepad by your bed. Do a 'brain dump'. Write all those things down that are making your mind race and in about 10 mins you can go back to sleep. It helps you clear your mind and eliminate the worry that you are going to forget them, which is one reason you think of them over and over again. It works much of the time.

Also, white noise, I have to have a little oscillating fan on, even if it's very cold I just put on my cozy down comforter.

Drink a soothing tea half hour before bedtime. Chamomile, vervain, are a couple that put you to sleep. Vervain is hard to get but every store has chamomile. Make it strong. Let the teabag steep 10 minutes.

I'm currently pregnant, and one thing I've been battling with since the beginning is insomnia. The best things I have found to help, are 1) get some exercise during the day, 2) take a hot shower right before bed, and 3) use some white noise. I have always had a fan near the bed, and I can't sleep without it. The nights I wake up, I listen to the tone of the fan...somehow it's relaxing. Hope you get some sleep!

My mind works the same way. There are two things that work really well for me. The first is to get a good night light and some easy reading - fiction usually works best and read until you are sleepy. If you turn out the light and find your mind thinking again, turn the light back on and start reading. The other thing that helps is to download free podcast sermons to my ipod - my favorite is from http://churchoftheking.com/media . This helps focus my mind and creates a positive calm before peacefully drifting off to sleep (make sure you turn it off before you actually fall asleep - else the voices can make their way into your dreams and keep you from sleeping deeply). Good luck.

Sounds like anxiety, Angelina.

I found myself in the same predicament. On those sorts of nights, I use a tincture of valerian. It was suggested to me by an ND, years ago, for stress and anxiety relief. Start with the lowest dose on the bottle and remember, like many herbs, more is not better. In the case of this herb, too much will have the opposite affect and you'll be more awake.

Also, skullcap (scutelaria) capsules can help with *staying* asleep. Take as directed. I would not mix these herbs unless directed by a naturopathic doctor. And an ND visit is not a bad idea either. Herbs are generally not habit-forming, and NDs will help you find what works best for what you need.

i take one Tylenol PM every night. it helps take off the edge and helps me relax. i also have arthritis so that helps my body not hurt so much at night!!

Maybe trying a book on CD would help. That way your mind is focusing on the book and you can drift off. Obviously, a thriller may not be the best choice of book, but maybe a Jane Austen novel or something else that is not action driven.

1 / 3