Skipping Kindergarten

I know a lady who has her child in a preschool kindergarten class in order to skip public kindergarten and go straight to first grade. She turns 6 in September. Question. Will Keller ISD promote a child to 1rst grade even if they are not 6 before September 1? Is there a testing process that will allow a very smart or advanced child to be skipped up? Does anyone have experience with that? All comments are welcome...positive and negative.

There is a process including testing that you must go through in order to go on to 1st grade. If you're considering this, then you need to contact Keller ISD as soon as possible to get all the info.

No, they will not let them skip. I had the same issue with my son who turned 6 in Sept last year. They have to take a test to get out of k. The test has very difficult social studies and science on it. Only 1% pass all the levels and not ONE kid has passed all the levels from what I have been told in multiple years.

It is a headache dealing with it. Tell her to stay in private school till after K, if she can afford it.

Yes, there is a process. If you child is not 6 prior to September 1 there is a series of tests the child will go through. The test starts at 8am and ends about 3pm. They get a lunch break for 1 hour. They take a series of 4 tests - math, science, social studies and language. They have to pass each section with a 90%. The tests are sent to Texas Tech University Education Department for scoring. We tested my daughter but prior to receiving the scores we decided to go ahead and put her in kindergarten. Reason for us was that she might be ready to start first grade, but will she be ready to start college when she is 17 (just about to turn 18). We were concerned that we were pushing her. She is very advance in kindergarten, however, I had conversations with her teacher and she keeps her challenged and motivated. She goes to Keller 1/2 day & Children's Courtyard Private Kindergarten 1/2 day. Hope this helps. Call Keller ISD administration about the test and they can help you get regisitered if that is what you choose.

Hi E..
I'm not sure if the KISD will promote or not. But I will tell you that Kindergarten and most of the early years in grammar school are not only times that children learn different levels of education, but it is also a time for children to grow and Mature. Putting a child in a class with children that are older than they are and more mature can be very hard on a child later on even if they are on the same learning level. My child turned 5 the day Kindergarten started. She was very smart and always tested very well. She tested on a 4th grade level for Reading and Math at the Child Study Center in Ft. Worth. However, she was almost a year younger than all of the kids in her class. By the time she was in 4th grade she was having such a difficult time with the maturity levels that it affected her school work and she had to be held back. In doing so she then thrived and by the time she was in middle school and high school she was in all advanced classes. Had I known then, I would have definitely waited a year for her to start. I know that all kids are different, but it's something that should be considered. If you decide not to have your child skip a grade, work with your childs teacher on a curriculum that will best suit your childs need for a higher level of learning than others in his class so that he is not bored.

Being a former Kindergarten teacher, I strongly recommend that you not skip Kindergarten .. It usually doesn't affect a child in the younger grades but by the time they get to middle school it definitely does. It is always better for them to be older than younger.

I am putting my son in Private Kindergarten next year, and if he is up to par and passes tests, he CAN go into 1st grade before he turns 6. It's on a case by case basis.
The law only gives statements about Kindergarten (public school). You have to be 5 by Sept. 1st. Texas law does not give age requirements for 1st grade, however it is typically up to the school district. My advise is for her to call the administration as I did.
E.

Mary is right. Keller ISD will only enroll a child in 1st grade if they are 6 before Sept. 1--regardless of previous kindergarten experience. Keller does screen all kindergarteners for gifted and talented--so if your child is gifted, they will be served through the GT program.

My friends daughter moved here from California. Her little girl had taken Kindergarten in CA but she didn't meet the "6 yrs old before Sept 1st" criteria for TX. When she went to sign her up for first grade the district said she'd have to repeat K even though she could already read and write. But they also said that a few weeks after school started, they would test her to see if she could move up to first grade. They tested her and she passed with flying colors and is now in first grade. This all happened in Justin in the NWISD.

1 / 3