Skipping Crawling Leads to Dyslexia??

Hey Moms,

My baby girl seems to prefer wanting to learn how to walk than learning to crawl. I've heard from many of my friends and acquaintances that this is not an issue however my boyfriends bbf (biology major with two kids) read that she could become dyslexic or ADHD. I've never heard of such a thing and I can't find any information other than speculation. Has anyone heard of this and can you link me to a credible source?

Thanks in advance.

I have no proof of anything, but I think this is ridiculous. I knew a girl who never crawled, and she had trouble with balance and co-ordination (her parents got her some gymnastic lessons when she was younger to help her out, which greatly improved her skills in the area), but she was an excellent reader who had no problems with dyslexia that I ever heard of.

Yes i heard that is messes with hand eye coordination but let me tell you..... my son never crawled he rolled and he is very above average. he will be 4 on the 29 and we are working on reading, he subtracts and adds and is NOT any of those things. He goes to mothers day out and they bring him work to do out of the 5 years old class because he is so advanced he gets bored. I think by my experience that anything that is ever wrong with a child is hereditary or lack of teaching or toxins put in the body. Here is proof of what I said!!
http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20051028/gene-may-be-link...
This web site should make you feel better!

I was working towards my CDA (child development associates) and in classes we dicussed this. I don't believe it will cause dyslexia or ADHD. It's perfectly normal for babies to skip crawling. However, crawling does help minor and major motor skills whenever body parts are working on both sides of the body...arms and legs in the crawling motion... As long as she does crawl eventually it will be fine. No major harm done if she doesn't. As she gets older you can do exercises to help her motor skills. Get a crayon or chalk and have her draw circles in differend directions. )Right hand goes clockwise left counter-clockwise or vise-verse.) Sorry for the rambling, hope I helped.

I was told I kept watching my older brother(4 yrs) run back and forth in the room. I decided at 7 months to get up and run with him. I never crawled and I can assure you I never had ADHD or Dyslexia. I am 48 yrs old. Of course this is just my example. Everyone is looking for an excuse for their kids to act up these days. Soooo glad I had my child in another era.

Crawling is very important. Opposition dexterity helps organize the brain coordination. It helps with true right or left sided dominance. True ambidexterity is one thing but most people simply have a confused dominance, as do I slightly. I can saw, hammer, bowl, catch, brush my hair, and other things with both hands equally well. Better on the left is: eat with fork, drink, bat, reach, carry, and type. Better on the right is: eat with spoon, cut with knife, write, cartwheel, throw, kick, and leap. I know that I am right handed idealy because I use scissors and brush my teeth only with my right hand. I am very slightly dyslexic. I have never had treatment and really don't need it. I can tell when things are backwards and I autofix rapidly. Thank goodness I am not color blind because sometimes the red and green light is flipped around. My is not all the time. When it is happening then I pay close attention and it may not happen for months at a time now that I am older. Mine is very tied to emotion and stress. It is worse when I am tired. Since my mid 20's I would notice that when I eat with my left hand I am in a certain mood. Distant, confidant, cocky, disconnected. My humor is different and I seem to be locked into the present of just a few hours. Sometimes I do not feel good and feel confused. On ocassion I have been able to force myself to eat the meal with my right hand as a right hander would eat and after a bit of emotional confusion would then feel fine, takes about 30 minutes, sometimes followed by a headache. I am telling all of this in a way that makes it look like a big deal but it's not. The emotional components are noticeable only to me usually. About 8 years ago after explaining most of it to my husband he can see it now. Now he is helpful in notifying me early in the situation and I fix it then instead of it lasting longer. I feel better functioning as a right hander. I no longer spend anytime writing, hammering, sawing, or bowling with my left hand. I try to eliminate others as well but eating and drinking left is harder because it is just so natural. My husband sits on my left side at dinners so I don't start with my left hand due to space.
I did crawl normally as a baby. However, I took dance, gymnastics, and twirling starting just before 3 years old. I was in class or practicing all the time. I became very good and it eventually it paid for school. Downside. I was always doing and trying to do things equally on both sides. It made for great talent but created other problems. I have 8 college degrees. I know, professional student and all. But they are in fine arts(paid for school, might as well get the paper) and science(human biology, anatomy). This topic came up on occassion. I already knew at that point that I had a problem and then understood why. So I started fixing on it. Skipping crawling is okay but you will need to do other 'cross crawl' activities and exercises with you child. Marching, kicking, hand to toe, hand to knee, elbow to knee, ladder climbing. All are correctly done with opposition. Left leg forward with right hand forward. Right leg forward with left hand forward. That's how you crawl, in opposition. That is how a dog and a horse trots. These activities don't have to be done ad nauseum, just some. Hopefully a few times a day in all totaling about 10 to 15 minutes a day. It works best if done at the age when they should be crawling. But cross crawl exercises even work with adults with dyslexia, they just have to spend more time. I think tap actually helps. For me I believe it was the twirling that messed with me. I twirled 2 and 3 baton and had to be good with my left hand. I injured my right hand pretty badly once and spent weeks twirling with just my left hand with my right hand in a brace. Sometimes this has its benefits: I am a good switch hitter and I can type about 90 words a minute.
You probably won't be able to find much on the topic. Medicine doesn't like to talk about anything that can be helped without meds. Remember, you need a dzs that is scarry and special and that only the pharmaceutical companies can help you with. If you try to take care of your own problems and don't depend upon the government then you are not being a good communist. I know this sounds jaded but the evidence is overwhelming.
ADD/ADHD are brain confusion/organization/firing issues. It wouldn't supprise me to find out that they are connected. I do not consider myself to be either of those truly. I can make myself sit still for anything, however, most people do things and talk too slow for my pleasure. I intentionally slow down my speech for most situations. I only know 4 people that can keep up. When we speak on the phone we fly. 2 of them know each other and we get together from time to time. Our conversations make no sense to others and we standardly interrupt each other without hesitation because the extra things being said are still heard and understood. We like it that way and it is somewhat humorous when other people walk away from the conversation they thought they wanted to join. 3 or 4 things going on at once is okay by me. I grew up doing homework watching TV. I have read homework while listening to lectures. I multitask well and am bored when too little is going on. I don't think that makes me ADD/ADHD. If it does then they are definately medicating a bunch of people unnecessarily. Of course if mom wants to sit on the couch and jr. wants to run around the house and play that doesn't mean that mom is lazy or jr is ADHD. Maybe it means that they are having different reactions to their malnutrition on a bagged, boxed, and canned food diet. And maybe jr needs a yard and a dog.
Anyway this is probably too much information, so sorry so long.
I wouldn't worry about the not crawling if the baby is naturally doing it themselves. But don't aid in the standing and walking. No walkers allowed, not the ones they sit in or walk behind. Put down a blanket and if the baby goes to something and pulls up, fine. Maybe you could bet down and crawl would help. The sit in, rolly, push with their feet, walkers are not good for the developement of their low back anyway. Too bad these things are given at baby showers and seem so convenient.
I hope you find some help or peace in here somewhere.
Pray for guidance and protection.
God Bless,

sounds pretty ridiculous to me! neither of my kids really crawled, more like scooted on their tummy, and were both early walkers (my 1st walked at 10 mo. my 2nd walked at 9 mo.). they are 4 and 2 now and neither has any developmental or behavioral problems

This is an old wives tale from way back, I never crawled until my younger sister, 4 years younger, taught me how. I did pretty well without crawling. Both of kids walked very early, oldest at 10 months and youngest at 81/2 months (crazy I know). Both are scholars and somewhat perfectionists. I too was told by my mother in law that I better teach them to crawl....I didnt and it doesnt seem to make any difference.
By the way their physical development hasnt been hindered either. The oldest is in college studying dance and the youngest plays club soccer. Have fun!!!!K. K.

I walked at 9 mo. and I'm a terribly slow reader. By having the baby crawl (alot) they develope both sides of the brain, it's not just a muscular activity.It's a brain development activity, thus developing the ability of the brain to track left to right & right to left when they begin reading. The Scientific Learning website is a wealth of info.

I don't know about those other issues, but I know about 2 others personally. My son had such bad ear infections when he was a baby causing equilibrium problems. So he dragged himself on his belly, not the usual crawling on all 4's. After he had tubes placed in his ears, he went straight to running,never having gone through the normal crawling. When he began having trouble in middle school with reasoning ability, it was discovered that because he didn't crawl, he didn't understand different perspectives of thought. Seems he didn't learn the building blocks of reasoning thru crawling that the brain needs to learn sequencing. He could read books at age 4, was never dyslexic nor ADHD.
My sister's son had eye problems as an elementary age child. One eye was weaker and wandered. The eye dr. said he would have to have surgery to correct it. Sis learned that crawling and looking side to side as a baby would naturally strengthen the eye muscles and stimulate a part of the brain to help learning. She made up games for them to play, chasing and searching for a hidden item that she played with him so he would agree to crawling around like a baby. His eye muscles got stronger and he never needed the surgery. He was neither dyslexic nor ADHD.

Crawling does encourage proper sequential learning in the brain. The missed learning is often not discovered until the child is several years older having difficulty in school. Plus they're less willing to begin crawling. HTH C.

You're finding only speculation because that's all it is. My son did the same, as he realized right away that he could get it done faster and more efficiently if he walked! He stood at 9 months and there was no turning back. He's now almost eight, is an excellent student in an accelerated class, and has been on a competitive swim team for the past couple of years. Don't start worrying about something so insignificant as whether he prefers to crawl or walk.

1 / 3