Skin Reaction to Dairy Products

My 8 1/2 month old son gets hives when dairy products touch his skin. I accidentally spilled milk from cereal on him a few months ago and he broke out in hives where the milk touched him. The pediatrician thought it was probably nuts or something else in the cereal that caused the reaction. Just the other day I tried to feed my son some cottage cheese and he broke out in hives wherever the cottage cheese touched his skin. Ingesting the cottage cheese did not seem to bother him; obviously I am going to stay away from dairy for the time being. The hives went away after about 20 minutes. I plan to ask the pediatrician at his 9 month appointment, but has anyone had a similar experience?

He's allergic. Humans are not meant to eat dairy any way. We don't need it. There are plenty of alternatives. Dont worry.

Sounds to me like your child has a milk allergy. This is extremely common. You may not suspect problems with him eating the milk products but he may be reacting in ways you don't know yet. Allergies can show themselves in a variety of ways. Hives is one way. So is infections of any kind, fatigue, irriatability, behavior problems, breathing problems, and weak immune system thus frequent colds or flu. My allergy symptoms are swollen glands and choking. Severe reactions can lead to shock and death. Your child can live without dairy. Try soy or rice milk products instead. A visit to an allergy doctor might be wise. AF

Hi T.
From personal experience you may think that your little man doesn't react to the dairy products because you can't see any hives on the outside but there are internal hives. So I would stay away from dairy products and try soy or rice. He may grow out of it which I am hoping my son will do w/his allergies since he started so young. A lot of times that is what will happen. W/myself I started hives @ 13yrs old and continue to suffer w/them. I wish you all the luck on this and hope that all the advice given will help you. I know how important our child's health is to us. L.:0)

I don't know why some doctors don't believe babies can be allergic to milk (I had one for my son who thought I was crazy!), but it's a very common allergy that shows itself in different ways. My son can't ingest it, he breaks out in hives and has horrible stomache problems. The skin reaction that your son is having sounds like my little guys corn allergy. Anything with corn syrup as a main ingredient that touches his skin (bbq sauce, sweet and sour, some syrup) causes immediate hives wherever it touches. However, he has never had a reaction to ingesting it! We just avoid all of those now, because his doctor said that the more he is exposed to the allergen, the worse his reaction may be each time!

I have the same problem with my 11 month old. I've been tring to figure it out as well. I breast feed so I'm staying away from dairy products as well. cheese, yogart, milk touches his skin he breaks out. He has sensitive skin problems anyway.

My now 13yo had the same thing, severe skin reactions to sour cream dropped on his arm at 6mo. He was allergic to milk protein. He also had hives and swelling, vomitting, and itching when ingested when he began eating solids. We had to check labels very carefully and make seperate meals (hassle, but worth his health).

He did outgrow the allergy shortly after he turned 6yo. He now eats ice cream, but only milk if its flavored and hardly any cheese. Since starting off without it all, he doesn't like the taste, but now, at least it won't hurt him anymore.

Hello,
I have not had this particular issue, but my son is allergic to peanuts. If I were you, I'd take your son to an Alergist and have him tested no matter what. If it is a food sensitivity/allergy and he ingests or touches milk it will only make the situation worse in the long run. My son see's an Allergist in Purcillville, at the Allergy, Asthma and Sinus center. They have been great and very thorough. I know they also have an office in Leesburg too. Good luck.I hope you get some answers.

C. G

Stop the dairy until you see your doctor. There are contact allergies to dairy and some are quite serious. Ask your pediatrician for a referral to an allergist for testing now. Keep a food journal and write everything down(foods and reactions if any)until you see the allergist. This will save you from having to make another appointment. Good luck.

Hi T.,

Check the web for alterntives to diary products for infants.

There is soy, rice and almond milks.

Hope this helps. D.

1 / 3