Skin Allergy

Hi, I have an 18 month old daughter with a skin allergy. We have recently moved to Singapore and her rashes have gotten worse. I have had her in cloth diapers since about 4 months old because the chemicals in disposable diapers were too harsh for her skin. It's difficult to find chemical free products here that I am familiar with and I am desperate for advice on washing her diapers, clothes, sheets etc. Are there any other cloth diaper users out there with advice on the best way to clean naturally? Thank you, R.

Hi R..

I am very sorry about your little one's allergies. Please check out this website: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
This website tells you which detergents are compatible with cloth diapers. I, too, am Melaluca member, but their detergent is not good for diapers. The melaluca oil makes the diapers repel. (Oil and water don't mix!) I haven't tried Allen's detergent, but it's supposed to be all natural. I hope the list is helpful. Good luck to you.

Hey,
first I am soo sorry to hear about her skin allergy :0( I am dealing with allergy issues with myself and 7 mo ds. Stay away from Arbone... I know they use petrolem based products in their makeup, and if your daughter is having problems with disposable diapers, it could be the petroleum used in them.
Check out http://www.mothering.com/discussions/index.php they have a whole section on cloth diapering. They also have recipes for all natural home made laundry detergent, which I haven't tried but may be a good option since shiping may be expensive to Singapore. I have been using Planet detergent on my CDs, with tea tree oil (which I think is one of the ingredients in Melapower).
Kami

Hi there I am sorry to hear about that. Your daughter sounds about like mine. I searched high and low for products that did not have the harsh chemicals that made my daughter have reactions and I finally did. I got in contact with a lady and she gave me all the information and I ordered some products like bath soap, lotion, and laundry detergent. We started using them and I tell you I have seen a huge different in my daughter. She doesn't even have the dry skin bumps any more either. After using them for 1 month I loved the company so much I know promote it and have got my two sisters using the products too.

One sisters has 3 kids and the other has no kids but she is allergic to everything even the sun (she has is pretty bed but much better know) but she uses them and doesn't promote the company but she said she will be a customer for life!

If you would like go to: www.urfuturematters.com

Hi R., All my children are grown and so are my Grandchildren. There uses to be a product by Ivory (in a box like tide) that was supposed to be 99.9% pure for washing babies clothing as well as a bar of soap by Ivory to bathe children with. Might want to check this out. Hope this helps. God Bless. J. M.

Have you tried Dreft? I was looking for natural detergents and found this: http://www.mountaingreen.biz/difference.html

that's just one of the many "natural" detergent websites that came up. Are you able to test some of those different kinds? Have you tried any other natural detergents that may be in stores already? Seems like you may have to order online or have a family member send you a care package. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for your little one.

ps,
have you tried switching around her diet or are you sure it's contact related?

Hi
When our daughter had rashes for days and days and days, the docs asked us to switch her to a VEry bland diet for a week or two. Really plain foods- bananas, breads, rice, potatoes, apples. It might help.

I use Tide but I have heard that Dreft is excellent for washing babies clothes, very gentle. Not sure what soap you use but my youngest has extremely dry/sensitive skin and I use Dove soap on him. So sad for your precious daughter! Good luck!

Hi. My son had very sensitive skin when he was an infant. Now he's almost 3 and his skin is 98% better. Part of his skin allergy was due to his food allergies, which beca me known to me when he was 9 months old. I use ALL Free & Clear or Arm & Hammer w/no dyes, fragrance. I do not use fabric softener, because it irritates his skin. He would break out in rash and be very itchy. I occasionally use a 2% hydrocortisone cream, but nothing stronger(dr. recommendation). As for skin cream, I use CeraVe moisturizing cream. It's the best thing that I have used on him. And note that I've tried practically everything. CeraVe is available at CVS, RiteAid. It's not too thick and not too watery. I also use CeraVe Moisturizing Wash for bathtime. Note: It is so important that you advocate for your child, because from my experience, doctors don't always know what's best for your child.
As for diapers, which brands have you tried?

1 / 3