Six Year Old Girl Still Wetting the Bed

My Niece had been having a hard time with wetting the bed but in the past year was tapering off, lately she has had a resurgence. She is not aware when it happens. She recently started first grade (after the school year had started, in a Montessori school), so this could be stress, but she does not even wake. I don't know a thing about it but it seems like she would wake up if it was related to something emotional. Dose anyone have experience with this? Her Mom had a problem with bed wetting as a child (something structural, no treatment needed) and outgrew it, but I believe younger than 6. Has anyone had this kind of experience? When does one worry; when would a child be expected to definitively outgrow it?

Dear C.,

I agree 100% with Mary S. my son wet the bed until almost 10 years old and he was such a deep sleeper that we would get up walk him to the bathroom take him back to bed and he would never wake up. We tried everything, limiting fluids, a prescription nasal spray, nothing helped he just had to outgrown it. Although it is not uncommon in girls it is much more common in boys. I don't think it is emotional because as you said she would probably be having restless sleep. It is also hereditary his dad wet the bed as a child as well. Just try to be patient each child is different so there is no way to predict when it will stop. Good luck!!

Bedwetting does have some genetic roots, and it isnt' even considered bedwetting until age 6, before then, it's simply assumed that the bladder was not mature enough to fully train itself not to need emptying at night. 6 is the age when a parent may talk to a doctor about it and the parent and doctor may decide on tests or a visit to the pediatric urologist. There is no way to say when a child will outgrow it, but if the little girl's mother is concerned, she should talk with her child's doctor.

Bed wetting is not anything to worry about. My brother and I both wet to bed until we were 10 yrs old, I think my brother was even a little older. We both did outgrow it. My nephew is 6 yrs old and still wets to bed. We buy him sleep pants to avoid embarrassment and mess. The pediatrician said that children sleep so soundly they never even know they had to go.They also have immature bladders and can't hold it all night. I hope this helps.

A. (Stay at home mom of 5 yr old boy and 20 weeks pregnant)

Hi C., My son was 8 years old when he stopped wetting the bed. He would go long periods of time without any wetting and then go through a night or a span of nights where he would. I was not concerned as there is a family history. My late husband wet the bed till he was my son's age (maybe older) and used to tell me that he never woke up, never even knew it until he woke up. My nephew had the same problem, went through medical testing to determine if there was a problem. It is described as a sleeping issue. The child sleeps so deeply that they do not wake to use the bathroom. My son has been pull-up free for a year and has had no problems since. Take care, M.

I really think you worry after the age of 9 or 10 years old. However, you can mention it to your child doctor and see what the answer is from him. I have a granddaughter who still wet the bed and the doctor it is emotional and there is nothing wrong with her kidneys we are going crazy about now. Please if you have any advice please send it to me.

J

Dear C.,

Hi C., well first bedwetting is heridetary, unless the child has a kidney problem.My son is 11 and still occasionally wets the bed. The doctor said he would outgrow it, as I did. ( I wet the bed until about 12). The key is usually the person is a heavy sleeper and does not wake up to use the bathroom, so my son knows he cannot have liquids right before bedtime.On the occasions that he does bedwet, it is because he did have liquids right before bedtime.When he was younger I did use pullups,now of course he does not want to. For a 6yo I would.There is also medication available ,but I did not want to give to my son. Some people just have weaker bladders than others.I outgrew mine,but still have to go to bathroom and not drink liquids before I go to bed, otherwise I have to get up a few times.

Does she drink anything before bed? If she does, she is probably not getting up to go to the bathroom, which is not an uncommon problem. A lot of children wet the bed. You are right, stress makes it worse. I would tell your sister to cut her fluid intake off about 1.5 to 2 hrs. before bed, this allows her time to empty her bladder before bed. Don't worry, she won't dehydrate. All of my brothers and sisters as well as myself, wet the bed. My one sister and brother had bladder problems. They wet every night until about 12, my brother was 14 yrs. old. I never give my daughters anything to drink before bed and the one who is 13, never wet the bed, ever, and the other who is 2, wakes with a dry diaper. Otherwise, I would have your niece checked by a doctor if it persists. She could have a bladder problem.

My brother wet the bed until age 8 and my sister until the age 12. They both outgrew it. Good luck.

1 / 3