Six Year Old After Tonsillectomy

Our 6 year old son had his tonsils out on Wednesday morning. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really thought he'd be feeling better by now. Not great, just better. He's still in a lot of pain & refusing to eat anything truly solid.

It's a struggle to get him to drink most of the time. We've been encouraging popsicles, ice chips, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, water, kool-aid....anything we can get in him, but he's not cooperating. He's miserable & I hate to see him like this.

I called the doctor's anwering service last night because I was worried. The on-call doctor said as long as he doesn't go without urinating for 24 hours, that he'll be OK. He said to give it a few more days & he should be feeling better & eating again.

How long did it take your child to start eating & drinking willingly after surgery?

Edited to add: He's doing a bit better today (Tuesday). He's up & playing a LOT more & eating popsicles like there's no tomorrow! The doctor prescribed Tylenol 3 for him & we make sure he takes it regularly. As for the dairy products someone asked about, our doctor said to avoid them for the first 24 hours, but after that it would be fine. He lives on milk normally, but right now would rather have ice water or kool-aid. Now I'm wondering if he'll be ready to go back to school when it starts back up this Friday. Right now, I kind of doubt it.

Hello, I remember when I had my tonsils out, I would not eat or drink anything, I was almost ready to have to go back to the hospital. But then I tried a piece of watermelon. So give him a piece of nicy juicy watermelon. I really worked for me. Hope he feels better. B.

Hello,

My son was 3 when he had his tonsils, adnoids and tubes placed in his ears. He had a rough time with the pain from the tonsils and it took him over a week to start feeling better. He also would not eat anything that would make his throat feel better either. After a week he was up running around and now he is 5 and we have no trouble at all with his throat. Dont worry and hang in there.

Expect this first week to be kind of rough. Then the second week you will see him get better each and every day. Don't, don't worry about food, he's not going to starve and would you feel like eating after this? Probably not. Every 30 min put a very small amount of liquid in a very small cup (it's a little deceiving to them, they see the bigger cup and think, oh no) and tell him he has until XXX time to drink it. Hydration is the key thing here. If more dry his throat gets the more it hurts to swallow, so if you keep it moist he'll not be as likely to fight you about it. It will get better.

Hi, S.! I'm sorry to hear about your son. My son was also 6 when he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. It's a horrible procedure, but trust me, you and your son will be happy when he gets the results of the procedure. It was more than a week of pretty rough pain. The key is getting him to drink, which he won't want to do, because it hurts. There is more pain at night, because he is sleeping and his throat dries out, but keep ice water by his bed and encourage him to drink if he wakes up... even though it really hurts. It tends to be a little worse on the 2nd and 3rd days, because scabs are forming and the healing process is really kicking in. It is horrible, but it will very slowly get better. What he is experiencing is normal. The pain is hard for a little boy to deal with, and it's hard to explain to them why it is so important to drink when they are in such pain. Give him anything cool/cold and wet. Like all the things you mentioned, I would also give him Jello, applesauce, pudding, anything cold and wet. I wish you and him a speedy recovery! I promise it will get better!

My ex-stepson, if that makes sense ha! Anyways he had his tonsils out and it was at least a good 2 weeks before he was back eating regular food! I didn't realize at the time how much pain he was in, but now that I think back to it, he was in pain and didn't want to eat anything just drink. So it sounds like your son is just having the normal after pain and i'm sure he'll be eating better by next week!

my daughter is nine and she had her tonsills & adenoids removed at the same time. The had them done last May. She had been so sick that we couldn't even wait until school was out for the summer. I too thought that this was going to be a walk in the park. It took two whole weeks for her to get back to school. Even after that she would complain about the inside of her nose hurting. I tried to push food and drink on her too than I realized how bad I felt when I had a sore throat and multiplied that by 100 and I knew how she must be feeling. I played games with her....I would let her pick her most favorite fruit then we would freeze them and act like we were "experimenting" with them since we had never frozen them before. I would let her take her favorite drink and freeze them in ice cube trays then put them in a cup for her to suck on, bite on, or let them melt a little. Good luck.

Hi S., hang in there it takes a while. My daughter had hers out about a year and a half ago. When she was ready for solid foods she craved french fries. The Dr. said it was the salt. They also told us to let her chew gum. It keeps them swallowing. She is very picky & can't stand anything minty so we got juicy fruit gum. He said she could have pop as long as we stirred the bubbles out. Jello, solid or liquid was one thing she really liked too.

Good luck & I hope your son gets feeling better soon. I know what you are going through, my daughter was almost 12, and a big baby.

I got my tonsils out when I was 42 and my son got his out when he was 2 1/2 so we have some experience with this. It's a pretty painful experience and for me it just got worse the 2nd week although my son seemed to recover much quicker than I did. Make sure that he is taking pain meds regularly if he received a prescription from the doc, if not, give him tylenol or motrin. Keep taking them before they wear off. I lived on apple juice, hot tea, toast and cheezits. I know it sounds like it would be painful but it wasn't. Warm liquids actually felt better and the scratchier foods didn't hurt and helped to slough off the yuckiness in the throat.

My son(almost 6) had his out on Friday 8/6. He is doing awful right now. Refusing to eat and drink. He tries to eat pancakes cause he's so hungry. A few bites and he gives up. It's so hard to get him to drink anything, but I take away tv and he tries his best, poor baby. He also can't stand taking his hydrocone. I was told by the nurse that it takes about 3 days of this and this started on Tuesday 8/10. I'm hoping he's better today.

1 / 3