Sippy Cups for 10 Month Old

Hi! With my first born, I had trouble getting her off the bottle when she was a year. My second born is now 10 month old and I want to start her on a sipper before she is one. She has taken the Nuby kind for about a month and has recently figured out how to stick her finger in the spout. Now these are no longer spill proof! I am trying the kind with a hard plastic spout and she does not know how to suck it to get the juice out. Imagine a grown adult trying to show her how to get the juice out!! Can anyone give me any suggestions? Am I just rushing her? She doesn't even have teeth yet, is the bottle at one really an issue to worry about?

Try the Avent sippy cups. They have sippy spouts to start out with that are softer. As they get older, they have the harder ones. My 9 month only has problems with holding the cup up not with getting the liquid out. Plus they are pretty easy to clean.

We liked the Gerber ones too. However, with a good throw or drop the spillproof valve falls out. So we prefer the Avent over the Gerber. Less clean up needed and they are dishwasher safe.

Both of my girls started on sippy cups around 5 months. You're definitely not too early. Just give her the cup and let her figure it out. I didn't teach either of my girls. They just kept trying until they got it. My 11 month old took two tries before figuring out how to use a straw. Just keep giving her the sippy and she'll figure it out before you know it.

I believe its First Years, that puts out a hard spout spill proof cup that does not have the insert. They come in cool characters and without the insert my kids seem to suck less to get the juice out. I would reccomend continuing to give it to her daily and she will eventually get the hang of it.

Hi M.

My daughter couldn't figure out how to use a sippy either until I gave her one of the take and toss cups. They aren't exactly spill proof, but once she figured out that sucking on them got more liquid out she took to the other types of spill proof quite easily. Maybe you could try that.

I think it's a good idea to start the sippy cup before you get rid of the bottle. Have you tried straw cups? Some have a valve so they don't leak (a lot) but are easier to drink out of. I had a similar problem with my older son. He couldn't drink out of the sippy cups either, or chose not to. But the straw cups seemed fine. Good luck!

We recently had to switch from the Nuby cups for similar reasons. I have had better success with the Dr.Brown trainer cup than others. I was trying to stay away from valve cups, but was had to move in that direction since my son would just chew through the soft spout cups. The Dr. Brown cup has a big valve so it is easier to keep track of and my son has had no problems using it. Good Luck!

I wouldnt't suggest switching back to a bottle it will take twice as long to get her off it the second time.
Try giving her the hard plastic spout without the stopper in it for awhile. The problem may simply be she doesn't know what to do with it, I know that sounds strange but if she's not familiar with this type of sippy she doesn't understand how it works. After she gets the hang of drinking from it you can put the stopper back in. I work at a daycare and that's worked for some of my children. Hope this help. If you wanna be really brave you can try a cup with a straw that might work as well but of course they aren't spill proof.

did you try the playtex sippy cups? my ten month old has been doing the sippy cup on his own since he was about 7 months old. make sure the valves inside the cup are in the right place. i would try to get her off the bottle if you can. i would say by two she definantly needs to be off of the bottle.

1 / 3