Sippy Cup of Juice and Wakes up 3-4 Times a Night

My 2.5 year old son will not go to bed without a sippy cup of juice. He also gets up three and four times a night and wants more juice. I've tried giving him milk and water neither he will take and he throws a full blown fit for his juice. I know that I need to give him water nothing else and let him throw his fit everynight until he realizes I'm not getting up to give him his juice, but...I have a 7month old and both boys are in the same room due to the set up of the house. My 7 month old is just now sleeping through the night if he doesnt get woke up by his older brother. My husband needs sleep for his sake and mine...so when I try and let him scream we end up giving him his juice because he will not stop screaming, ugh! What I want to do is go down stairs with the baby so that the baby and I can sleep through the night and let my two year old scream it out, but our room is right next door to the boys room and if I were to do this daddy would wake up, ugh! Any suggestions?

Ok...So Daddy didn't want to sleep downstairs and he didnt want to take our 7 month old out of his crib...First night through and I have to say it wasnt too bad. He did go to bed with one sippy of juice, but then we put a gate up to their room and when he woke up for another drink daddy told him no. Mommy stayed quiet and daddy did the talking...He began to fuss and I was already waiting for the baby to wake up. The baby stayed asleep and our 2.5 year old put himeself back to bed. Then about and hour later our 2.5 year old tried again for his sippy and once again daddy did all the talking..He put himself back to bed and slept all through the night. Then around 6am our 7 month old decides he wants to wake up, but our 2.5 year old stayed asleep..Thanks everyone...

I kno this does not help getting him off the cup but if you want a good night sleep put a cup next to his bed for him and b4 he goes to bed tell him its there also tell him that that is the only drink he is getting so dont drink it all. i think its deff better to give juice then milk cause milk will rott his teeth. i think Dana T (below) idia was good water it down thats what i did for my daughter when i switched her from formula to milk.good luck sweety

Get Dad a pair of ear plugs for a few nights and take the baby and go downstairs unitl he has worked it out. As long as it works, he is going to keep doing it.

You know all the reasons why you need to do this.

Who is in charge here? As long as you give in, he'll keep throwing fits. Here's the rule..you have to drink some water FIRST and then you can have juice. Fill it up half, not all the way and show him it's not even full. THEN, he can have juice. Water should help fill him up and quinch his thirst so that he won't have so much juice either.

If he refuses the water, he CANNOT have juice, NO matter what! If that means he cries himself to sleep, then he cries himself to sleep. This is NOT being mean. This is making telling him that you are the parents and you make the rules. Kids have no respect for parents who always give in. Trust me on this.

If he wants to scream, there needs to be a designated place for this, NOT in the room with the other brother or in your room. It can be in a den, library or some place where he can put a pillow in the corner or on the floor and cry it out. Might want to put a stuffed toy, book or something else there, too.

Ask him which is more important..having water or nothing at all. Try letting your juice supply literally run out. There will be NO OTHER choice. Stop giving in. Need to tell him the sugar from the juice isn't good for his teeth, either. Set boundaries. You can have juice first thing in the morning and ...... Setting boundaries are part of life lessons.
I do understand your situation, but the longer you give in, the harder it will be to change it. Also.....make SURE you're giving him adequate fluids throughout the day. It only takes 3% water loss to be in dehydration. If he is that thirsty, maybe he's not getting enough throughout the day.

There is also a book called RAISING RESPECTFUL CHILDREN you might want to check into.

You can try watering down his juice little by little, eventually he will be drinking water. Or you can not fill the cup all the way. When he's ready, you can work on getting him off the water just before bed (for potty training). I use the counting method, I count to ten to myself, my daughter can sip while I count but no more. Ever few nights I drop a number. Now she uses big girl cups, so at night I can put only a small amount in the cup for her and once it's gone it's gone.

D.,

I undrestand that it is hard to let them cry, but you and your hubby are going to have to choose a week or so to let it happen. We just had to switch our kids night cup for juice to water... altough they brush their teeth everyday, their last dental appointment didn't go so well. Six months ago they all had really nice teeth & no issues... last month all of them (2 1/2, 4 & 5 yrs) all needed caps and fillings. The 4 & 5 yr olds were able to get the work done in the Small Smiles office, but we have to wait till Feb to get the 2 1/2 year old done... he has to go to Children's and be put under to have his work done.

I have had to have one of my kids put under for something else... I must say it's one of the most scary things I've ever been through - you feel as if your heart is being ripped out, you can hardly breath & all you want is for them to wake up. And now I have to go through it with my little buddy... just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. If I would have thought the juice at night would have done this - they would have never started the juice at night thing.

I wish you luck!!! I know it's a hard thing to deal with!

Oh wow I feel your pain,but take it from experience the sippy cup of juice is NOT a good thing. I did that to my daughter and at 2 she had enamel breakdown, and had to have crowns on her 2 fronth teeth!! I think you should talk with your hubby, and let him know you are going to try and take the juice away at night so there may be some rough nights,but it is for his own good! Not sure what to tell you about the sleeping arrangements---GOOD luck!!! It will take time but I am telling you it WILL save his teeth in the long run!!!!!!!!

Hi D.,
I have 2 girls that share a room and while we don't have the sippy cup problem we do run into other challenges. I can certainly appreciate how stressful it is to parent 2 different children especially when they share a room.
What my husband and I do is we keep a pack-n-play set up in our room for just such times. Have your 7 month old sleep in it for a week until your 2.5 year old can adjust to life without juice.
We just recently did this as our 1.5 year old girl would wake up several times during the night wanting to be held, and we would always run in because we didn't want our 2.5 year old girl awake. I am happy to say they are both sleeping through the night now!
I hope this helps you. Peace to you and your family,

I like the "earplugs for Daddy" idea. Could Dad sleep downstairs for a few nights until your son stops throwing the hissy fits?

good luck

K. Z.

1 / 3