Simple Home Remedy for Cough (For 2 Year Old)

My son has a nagging cough that is worse when he is lying down. He's just getting over a cold. I've tried giving him honey, but that doesn't do anything to help. Just curious what other things you guys have tried and did they work? We'll be elevating his upper body and using a humidifier for when he's sleeping, but during the day, I'd like to be able to help him feel better.

We like Vick's on the chest and throat.
I find the smell to be comforting.
I tried it on the feet once but that never did anything for me except make my feet soft.
Keep him well hydrated - drink plenty of water (chamomile or mint tea or chicken soup broth is good too).
Some people have a thickening of the mucus if they drink milk - so go easy on the dairy products.
You can rinse his nose out with slightly warm saline (use a neti pot or a bulb syringe).
I like putting a heating pad on low on my chest/throat when I have a cough.
A 2 yr old might be too little for that

We like Vick's on the chest and throat.
I find the smell to be comforting.
A 2 yr old might be too little for that

A cough that gets worse at night is indicative of a sinus infection. Does he have a low grade temp? Drainage? 1/3 of the cases have no elevated temp.

I am a huge believer in vicks vipor rub on the feet with white socks on.. keep socks on all night.. it really helps with the cough!! My kids LOVE it...

Neither of these will eliminate the cough, but they should help him be more comfortable. Try to elevate the head of his bed a tad. I also use a cool mist humidifier in my kids' rooms when they're sick, which helps loosen the cough.

I used to take the kids swimming and take them into the steam room.

If I remember put Vicks on feet with socks. Lasts all night. Might help.

Vicks helps a lot I keep it on hand but they say cold is better for them like pops or ice cold water

Honey and lemon (which is antiseptic) usually helps a cough, honey alone probably nothing. When it stopped working for my guy I took him in, he had asthma. He had been sick and the cough went on and on. The humidifier made it worse so no more humidifiers, per his ped.

Elevating your son's bed and the humidifier may help him feel a bit better but see his doctor if the cough continues, it could be a sinus infection as Beenthere said, or something else.

1 / 3