Similac Alimentum Vs. Enfamil Nutramigen

Hi moms! I'm back again. My sweet boy is 12 weeks old and while this is NOT what I want to do, I'm beginning to feel its in my babe's best chance at happiness:-) I've given up just about every major food allergy/sensitivity in my diet and still no happy baby with breastfeeding. He has both reflux and colic and I'm at the end of the rope I believe. So based on some basic research the 2 formulas most recommended are the Similac Alimentum & Enfamil Nutramigen. Any suggestions or experience with either of these? Thank you so much!!

My son used the Nutramigen, it smells nasty!!!! But he took to it really well. He also had reflux. Best of luck to you you. C.

Hi N.,

Conrats on your little one! So sorry he isn't happy!

First off I will say that I don't know anything about either formula (sorry), but please read on for a possible different perspective.

Have you talked to La Leche League (support group for breastfeeding families)? It sounds like you would prefer to breastfeed (and it is SO good for the babies). Maybe some different feeding positions might help? not laying baby down right after feeding? Call 1-800-LA LECHE for a referral to a group leader in your area. There's probably also a web site.

Also be aware that it can take several weeks for all the remnants of dairy to leave your system (and so maybe his as well).

And remember that formula-fed babies also get reflux and colic.

He's still pretty young--still adjusting to being outside of you.

This is going to sound extreme, but I am going to suggest it anyway. You might want to keep pumping your milk and storing it (it freezes fine) while you are trying him on a formula. That way, if the formula doesn't work out, you will not have to re-lactate, you'll still be producing milk if you decide to go back to breastfeeding.

If you do decide to stick with the formula, you may be able to donate your pumped breastmilk (ask La Leche League about this--when I was a member many years ago, there would occasionally be an appeal for this; I think there are certain procedures you follow when storing it, I can't remember).

You mentioned colic--has anyone showed you "The colic hold"? it helped my two. It's much easier to show than explain but I'll try. Lay your baby on your arm so that his belly is against your forearm with his face in your hand. You can turn his head sideways so you are holding one cheek in your hand. Or cup his chin in your palm, just make sure you don't block his mouth and nose with your fingers. His right arm and leg will hang off one side of your arm, and his left arm and leg will hang off the other side. Now walk around with him, keeping him horizontal (more or less). You can hold him close to your body if that is more comfortable for you, or move him around a little. If you are afraid he'll roll off, keep your other hand on his back. He's probably still light enough to do this. Your muscles will get strong!!

Good luck with your decision. I nursed both my kids and I would have been so bummed if I thought my milk wasn't good for them....I hope you find a way to keep breastfeeding, but I am sure you will make a good decision for you and your family!

K. Z.

All I have to say is that Nutramigen was a lifesaver for us with our colicky daughter - she turned into a different baby within two days and I would've paid anything for that formula during that time. We tried Alimentum first and that just didn't do the trick, but all babies are different. Good luck - getting through colick is difficult!

I agree with the other ladies who suggested giving the dairy-free diet more time. My daughter had a milk protein allery, and it took several weeks for all the dairy to leave my system. She also had severe reflux. Have you tried medication? If you wish to continue nursing, there is no reason to stop. I nursed my reflux/milk allergy baby for 13 months. La Leche League and/or a lactation consultant can help with altering your diet and feeding techniques. Block feeding was helpful for my baby. I also urge you to give Zantac a try. Zantac helped my daughter's pain and a switch to prilosec really helped the spitting up. She grew out of the milk allergy around eight months and the reflux at 18 months. Good luck!

Hi N.:
I did not read your other post but I would like to offer some advice. Both of my sons have had reflux. My second child is now 14 weeks old and his is much worse than my first son's. My pediatrician said that breast milk is the most readily absorbed over formula if you are still considering breastfeeding. I do not know anything about the formulas as I stuck with nursing the first and will with the second. I also have used Zantac with both and that has helped. Many people swear by Prevacid but it is pretty expensive. The best tool in my bag though, is the Tucker sling and wedge. I would encourage you to check it out. It is a positioning device that actually gets the baby to a true 30 degree angle. It's awesome and I have used it with both boys. I have learned ultimately that reflux is a messy problem and that the babes are unhappy spitters without some intervention. The positioning and meds do help but I get covered with spit up at least a few times per day. It is just part of it. I will tell you from my experience that it does get better, especially when they start solid foods and are able to sit upright. We used the wedge for naps and bedtime until well into my son's first year. I hope this helps!!!!!

Just a little tid bit both of thoses formulas taste awful and if you have been breastfeeding you might not get your little one to take them! Why not try a soy based formula first?

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your bad luck with breastfeeding. I would try consulting with your local La Leche League first, then try the formula. We tried the Similac one you mentioned in your post but it did not work well. We then had to put our son on Nestle Good Start-It ended up being that it was the only one he could tolerate. I still feel horrible about having to go thru all of that with him. I did not even try to breastfeed him-I wish now that I would have. I have nursed my other 3 since then and they have done great- I am due in Nov. with our 5th child and hopefully nursing will work out well again. The La Leche League are wonderful with helping- I also would try a Lactation Consultant at your local hospital-they might be able to help!!! Hope this helps and take care. It will get better I promise!!!!

At 12 weeks of age, my doctor recommended Enfamil Nutramigen for my son. We made the switch and he was a much more content baby almost immediately. Because he did so well, we stuck with it until he turned one. He is now 16 months old, and has never had an issue with any food including milk. My only complaint about the formula was the cost. Good luck!

Hey N.,
Don't beat yourself up about bottle feeding, I was really upset too and it does nobody any good and honestly...it is so awesome when they can hold their own bottle!!!! My little guy had reflux as well. I don't know if you guys have a Costco near you, but I did a TON of research and tried lots of formula on my poor baby and Costco brand is the BEST!! It is almost identical to Similac but is $20 for two 1 lb cans!! My son is 8 mo and costs us $10 a week to feed! I am really picky about what goes in my baby's mouth and I recommend this formula to all new moms who are bottle feeding. And I also recommend the Must Have Mom Manual, it's my new favorite book and it has alot on this subject as well. Good luck and don't feel guilty, you will be a better, happier mommy when you do what is good for the both of you!

1 / 3