Silent Auction Baskets

Hi Everyone! I was recently asked to put together a basket for a silent auction. I was wondering if any of you go to these and what type of baskets you bid on? I am trying to come up with some ideas to make one but would like to make one that would bring in quite a few bids. I do not have much for cash to spend on items for it but want to put together one that would bring in quite a bit of good sized bids. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Those are all great ideas ladies! I will have to narrow down my choices here soon and get going on it! My daughter is part of the NE MPLS Royalty program and we are hosting a Spaghetti Dinner at the St. Anthony Community center on November 18th. We will also be doing a silent auction and all 8 of our girls' families have to put one together for it. Thank you again for your help! You ladies rock!

Spa basket are always good in my book. You can go to a dollar store and pick up a few differnt fun ideas for it. You could also go to a Sally's and get stuff they have pretty creep stuff and don't forget the famious Target cleanence. Use a old Easter basket and you are set

I'd suggest going with a theme basket. Get creative, use things you may already have on hand for "emergency" gifts (lotions, candles, etc). Also, shop the clearance rack at your favorite store. I recently put together a Martini-themed basket from Pier One. I found most of the items on clearance & spent $25. A friend added a bottle of Absolut & it was the most bid on silent auction item at the event!

I just finished an auction last week. Some great items that went were a dress up trunk (an old trunk spray painted pink with some hideous sequin dresses, princess shoes from costco and a tiara and a few Boas, it went for $175 at a moderate auction - not super high end). We made a one of a kind art peice from a canvas and the kids hand prints for the charity we were supporting, depending on your charity might depend on if you can do this. It cost us about $20 for the canvas and supplies and it went for $190. We had a baby and mom bonanza basket and it was a bunch of friends of mine that all seemed to have one or 2 girl outfits with tags on them (under 12 mos) and we threw them together a mary kay rep gave us some lotions for mom and I think we had a candle in there too. It did nto cost us anything since we got the clothes (new with tags) donated from friends. I think it went for $160.

Maybe those ideas might help.

We do this yearly at work and the Luxury basket always sells for the highest. Unfortuneately, it is usually the most expensive to put together. Champagne, chocolate, gourmet coffee, spa items. Home Goods often has clearance prices on Godiva chocolate and cocoa and stuff like that. I've been to health fairs that have donated full size bottles of aveda which are really popular, maybe follow up on donations? Good Luck.

If you have the time, call around and see if you get anyone to donate items...Large companies or golf courses, hair salons, etc. love PR and they will only ask that you put their name somewhere on the package.

Who are you targeting? Scrapbooking baskets go over great, Archivers has clearance stuff all the time, or Michaels or Joanne Fabrics has low price itmes, jsut pick up some paper, a scissors or two, stickers, pens, etc.

Food items
Alcohol- or drink mixes
Wine/cheese
movie tickets
Barnes and Noble gift certificate w/a bottle of wine
Cleaning supplies (name brand items)
Another hot item are those USB sticks, if its for men, who wouldnt love a basket full of computer related items.

Get creative, you may even have things at home that are new and unused that you can put in the basket. You dont always have to spend a lot of money.

Try a goodie basket with cookies/brownies/nuts and other snacks. If you make the cookies and treats yourself it isn't too expensive and everyone loves treats so I think the basket would be a hit. Another option would be to make homemade breads and/or muffins. Goodluck.

A movie basket would be a good idea. You can always find good priced dvd's, throw in some candy, popcorn, even a throw blanket. I've seen them before at silent auctions. Another idea could be a newborn baby basket- most people know someone that is having a baby sometime soon. You can always find pretty cheap baby stuff. Good Luck!

My husband did this last year for work place. The basket we put together was all chocolate themed. We went to World Market, Byerly's and Kowalski's and bought high end chocolate bars (dark and milk chocolate) hot coco mix, and some other fancy type chocolates. Also at one of the stores, we found some "hot chocolate" mugs.
Also, I went to a silent a few years back and bid on an all Aveda basket. It was an awesome basket that had so much of everything in there. It went too high, so I had to quit bidding, but definitely brought in a lot of $$$$$$

1 / 3