Sick Son

My 8 month old son has been sick since November of last year. He started out with a cold which lead to an ear infection in January and it continued until about last week. Then he got the flu!! Now the flu is gone but he has an awful cough again and started pulling at his ear AGAIN!!!! He has been pretty happy through out all of this but i am at so concerned about him and don't know what to do. I am a full time working mom of 3 kids so he does go to a sitters during the day. I am a germ-a-phobe so bottles are boiled, nuks are boiled, etc. the whole nine yards!!! We just don't know what to do anymore. The doctor probably thinks i am a wack job with as much as he is in and i call!! He keeps telling me he is fine he just has what is going around so why doesn't it go away?? Well he is not so I guess I am just looking for some other opinions or options!!

Hi R.,
Have you tried a chiropractor? When my daughter was a baby she went from ear infection to ear infection for 9 months! It finally cleared up after I took her to the chiropractor.
Now I make sure my kids go every so often and I also give them
supplements.
If interested check out www.marketamerica.com/vanderson
We have might-a-mins for kids, it's an isotonix (a powder that is mixed with water so you drink it) and an antioxidant called OPC 3, super good for the immune system.
Good Luck.
V. A

R.,
Follow your heart, its your child. If you feel something is wrong ~ then don't feel bad for taking your child into the ped. after all who knows their child better.
But I do agree with some of the other posts here about allergies...maybe some allergy tests could be done to rule out other possiblities.

Have you ever thought that he may have allergies. If not I'd check it out. ALso a note that since he is in daycare that could do it. My daughter went to daycare & she was sick alot for the first 6 to 12 months she was there. Now she is fine. Her system just needed time to build up immunity. Let's face it with other kids they associate with they can pick up anything. Also if he gets more ear infections I would talk to you doc about having tubes put in. My daughter had them put in at almost 2 yrs old because she always got them. She is almost 5 now and only has has 1 infection since them, good luck to you!

Hi, my son was the same way, found out he had allergies, and started on allergy medicines and alot better!! Go to and ear,nose,throat specialist and request an allergy test. We had his tonsils and adnoids out before he was a year old, also had his sinus's scraped twice. Then we were sent to an allergy specialist, and found out it was allergies causing all the problems. Hang in there, it will get better, my son is now 8, and hardly gets sick anymore.

Hi R.,

Well, there have been many viruses going around this winter.
So the doctor might not be half wrong, but I would get a second opinion. It doesn't hurt. And then you will feel better too.

I was in the doctor's office with my daughter all the time. She had ear infection after ear infection after ear infection. We ended up putting tubes in several times. She even had the flanged tubes put in because the original tubes kept falling out.

We alos got rid of the chemicals in our house and from that year on we have been living a healthier life.

Don't use pledge in your homes: it has butane & propane gas in it.
Lysol has phenol in it. If you don't know what that is look it up. It's not a good thing.
These air fresheners that they show on TV are neurotoxins. They actually put a coating on the nostril hairs so that you smell that smell instead of the odor you are trying to cover up.

Educate your self: http://yourchoice.healthyhometour.com

Many blessings,

It doesn't hurt to be safe, check out another opinion.

I can remember my son being sick all of the time, when he started daycare. The doctor that released us from the hospital was a wacko, he told us to keep him home and not take him to the mall or anywhere were germs can be or around a lot of people. Very weird! What?! lol! That is the first place where I took him, and the first time he got sick was when he started at daycare. Taking kids to daycare, is like taking them to school. They get the same sicknesses and germs.

I have noticed once my son has started Kindergarten he was not as sick as the other kids. My son told me of some kids missing a week of school, which he has not missed that much with stuff that has been going around. It just makes me wonder if these are the kids that did not go to daycare before school. I mean if he gets it, it seems as though he is more immune to the sickness and the sickness does not seem to last as long. As for when my daughter starts school she will probably be sick longer, since she is not around the germs all the time at home. I will have to let you know when she starts preschool in 2 years.

Also, when babies are in their first year of life(as you already my know having 3 kids), babies get sick all of the time espically if they are in daycare. I can remember my son being sick a lot when he first started daycare and was not sick before that. So then I was so annoyed with daycare and did not want him there. If you are still concerned I would take him into the doctor and get an evaluation done. I hope he is feeling good soon.

My doctor says the same thing to me. That my daughter has what is going around or it is a virus. I mean how do they know if it is a virus without a blood test? I would demand a blood test then. Also, he could be getting rid of it and then getting something else. Since you have older kids maybe he is getting it from one of them and they are not washing their hands when they come home from school. I have my son wash his hands when he comes home from school, espically when I heard of some mom's talking about their kids having the flu right before Thanksgiving. When we got home from school I told my son to wash his hands. Surprisingly he did not get the flu before Thanksgiving!

Let me know how things turn out.....

My kids have been sick pretty much all winter, as have most of their friends. It really is "going around" around it sounds like you're doing everything right. If you're a germ-a-phobe, I'm assuming your house (doorknobs, bedding, hard surfaces, toys and play areas) gets the full disinfecting treatment, too. Make sure everyone washes their hands frequently!!!
This has been our worst winter yet. My boys have had the flu three times each, colds are frequent, my oldest has had 2 ear infections and my youngest is on his third. We go through Tylenol like candy and the humidifier has not had much of a break.
All of our bedding gets washed frequently on the HOT cycle, as does any clothing that has "sick germs" on it. My 5-year-old has gotten pretty handy with the disinfecting wipes, trying to keep those pesky germs at bay. =)
Unfortunately, with it being so cold outside, everyone is cooped up a lot of the time and the indoors become a nice germy breeding ground and kids pass the bugs around and bring them home. There's not much more you can do about it. If you can hold out a few more weeks until the weather is warmer, things should get much easier.

Get another doctor. If you know there is something wrong with your child trust your instincts. My son who is now 4 1/2 was always sick with and ear infection, they finally recommended tubes and the day of the surgery his dad refused to take him, ironically he never got another ear infection. He could be allergic to something and you may not have any idea. Get some advise from a new pediatrician.

1 / 3