Sick Daughter, Not Keeping Any Food Down

Hello, my 5 year old daughter woke up this morning pucking, she is very pail, and does not have a fever. I tried giving her some try toast, but she took a tiny bite and threw it up, anyone have any good ideas on what to feed her to help her feel better. She was fine yesterday. my poor baby :(

Thank you all for your responses, it is so nice to have a website like this. She is doing better already, she just ate some soup, and now is trying to take a nap.

I have gone through that same situation on more than one occasion. You have to start with small amounts of clear liquids as little as an ounce. Give the liquid slowly and have a bucket or the bathroom handy just in case. If she keeps it down wait at least 20 minutes and then offer more liquids in small amounts. As she continues to keep the liquids down you can offer jello, popsicles and broth and then add bland foods like toast without butter and other things that do not bother the stomach. Good luck.

looks like lots of good responses, didn't read through all, so sorry if I'm repeating anything....
An upset tummy is no fun. We try to start with a little Sprite or 7-up and some soda crackers (oyster crackers are easy for kids to pick up and snack on too). Just steer clear of anything too greasy or sugary. Gatorade tastes a lot better than Pedialyte and helps to do the same thing (just watch out for red if it comes back up - big mess to clean). BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) is usually where docs will tell you to start once kids are ready. Fluids are the most important - if she won't eat, it's OK, just keep the liquids flowing, no matter what it is... (No milk, no caffeine). I hope she's feeling better soon!!

When my stomach is upset I don't want to eat. Just keep liquids in her, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Crackers or dry cereal would be my first things to try, but 7 UP and water, gatorade, etc first.

B.,

I hate it when they get a stomach bug, it makes me feel so helpless to give them any relief. Most of the time you just have to let it run its course. Don't try to push any food let them lead the way and wait until they ask for something to eat. Then I would only offer chicken noodle soup, or broth, dry crackers, dry toast, or yogurt.

Avoid milk its really hard on a tender tummy. Some things you can offer in the meantime are popscicles, clear pop, or ginger ale. I have even made popscicles out of leftover flat pop. Pedialyte is good but my kids would never drink it because they didn't like the taste, I always had more luck with Gatorade which is very similiar, and you can make popscicles out of it too. I think the trick with popscicles are they eat them so slowly as they melt that it sits better on the stomach.

Good luck, God Bless and I hope she feels better soon.

Let her keep puking. She has somethng that needs to come out. Hey I'm 55 and when I get a stomach flu, NOTHING stays down until I've had a lot of sleep, and whatever the bug is has come out. It's fine to at least try something. But sometimes even water won't stay down. It's the case that sometimes just sleeping it off is the best cure, especially after puking episodes. That will deplete a lot of energy. Monitor her, offer soda crackers or Vernor's ginger ale (should always have that available because it's excellent for upset stomachs), but I wouldn't force feed her. If it gets too long, see a/your doctor. You don't want to risk dehydration either (I nearly died of it from flu as a baby).
good luck and I hope she feels better soon

Don't feed her. I generally make my kids wait 6-12 hours after throwing up before eating. Try giving her clear liquids...if she keeps that down for a hour or two then follow the BRAT diet.

coke does wonders..try giving her some flat coke and see how she does. if she still pukes trying giving her fluids every 15 min even if its just a teaspoon.. she can surrvive w/out food but not water.. its a long/slow proccess but she will get through it..I hope she is better soon...

Jello is the only thing my daughter could keep down, when she had the flu. Hope this works for her.

Hi B., your little one's stomach can't tolerate food. She probably has a 24 hour bug. I keep Pedialyte on hand to help prevent dehydration but only sips. Ice cubes are another good choice. When she feels a little better try broth. I remember the B.R.A.T. diet; banana,rice,applesauce and toast, as they are inproving. IF this pattern persists for more than 24 hours take her to the Dr. or ER. Dehydration is a huge concern in a child. Denise K. I hope she feels better soon.

1 / 3