Sick Child and Calling off Work

i ladies my 9month old has been sick took him to the drs yesterday. had a fever cough bad stuffed nose..u know.
so i calledoff work today so he didnt have to go to the babysitters with other kids and he can get his right rest at home. now tomorrow were getting snow maybe 4 to 8 in?? and ill have to call in again for being like maybe 2 hrs late!!! now it is my time its the new yr and my days started over again. is there any law out there that wont let me get in trouble for this? can u get in trouble for calling off? i work in the medical billing field and work cant get piled up. and cant aford to lose my job ovver calling off! UGH.what do yas think? she didnt give me a prob. this morning when i called.

You should have a certain amount of time for sick days and family sick days. If you get fired for calling in 2 days to care for a sick child, I don't see how that would be legal.

Have a note from the doc as backup, but re. the snow, probably everyone is going to be late for that one, kids or no kids. If you can do work from home on a kiddo sick-day, especially if the little one is resting, that might be helpful too.

The only law that comes to mind is FLMA which allows for up to 12 weeks per rolling year to care for yourself or a child IF the company has at least 50 employees within a certain mile radius. It can be taken in weeks, days, or hours as long as it is spelled out. Not something you would typically use for a cold/one sick day. It can be used in conjunction w/ your paid leave as well.

As long as it only happens occasionally and doesn't become an attendance issue you should be ok but each employer has their own rules and expectations. What does your employee manual state?

Depends on the regulations and rules where you work. Do you have sick days to use? If not, you might be written up for taking off, but like I said it depends on H.R.'s rules.

I don't think there are any laws regulating companies on how much time off they must give you. You need to check your company's policy on absenteeism as each sets its own rules.

I don't think 2 days would get you fired I think if you called out a lot then you could get fired because your job needs you there.

Any chance you could find a "pinch hitter" babysitter for just this type of situation? A grandma, neighbor, etc who might be willing to come to your house when your child is sick? Someone looking to make a few bucks occasionally? I know we like to be with our kids when they're sick but multiple days is tough when you have a job.

only when you are under a level 3 snow emergency and are not allowed to be out on the road by law

Employees that call out sick frequently IE: more then 5 times a year...are clearly not as productive as employees that dont call out sick or dont max out their sick time... The reason does not matter or make it more legitimate if you are calling out for a sick child, or the weather or a sick self. Parents and this includes Single Moms...you have to have plan B and you probably should think of these things prior to having a child unless you are independently wealthy. Honestly.

1 / 3