Sick Baby? Is It Pneumonia? HELP!!

Hi all, My 5 month old baby has been sick for 6 weeks with a runny nose and horrible cough. I took him to the doctor on week 2 and they gave him amox. I gave it to him (even though I wasn't thrilled about it) and no results! 4 weeks later I took him back and said he has just gotten worse. They have no idea what is wrong and prescribed another antibiotic! I really don't want to give him a RX without knowing what is really wrong with him? Any ideas? I'm thinking it could be pneumonia but have no idea. His appetite is good, he doesn't have a fever. Please help me...I'm super worried.

Hey all! This is the first time I have posted anything on this website and I am overwhelmed with the support and great, prompt responses I received...so THANK YOU. I got really aggressive yesterday and got online and just searched and searched. I demanded a chest x-ray and told my doctor he would be getting the results and to call me. He did, and my son has bronchitis. The doctor said over and over that I did the right thing by pursuing other diagnosis when I wasn't happy with the one I was given. So, we have a new healing plan "no antibiotics, no humidifier, and just keep inside/warm for 5 days" He wants to see him again on Friday. So, we're homebound for Christmas. Oh well, at least I know what's wrong with the little guy. Thanks again gals!

I would sick medical attention if it continues. I have raised 4 children and this is what I would do when my children had coughs or were congested. I would sit in the bathroom with them (on the toilet). Let the hot water on so that the room would steam up and this would always help with getting the mucous to come up. I would do this at least 3 times a day. Give it a try.

They dr should be listening to his lungs at each appt. If it was pneumonia they would hear congestion. Continue any antibiotics they have given you (stopping a treatment can make them worse) but ask why they are giving them...signs of an infection. If the lung sound clear to the dr are they finding signs of an upper respiratory infection? Is the runny nose clear? Have they considered asthma and allergies?

My little guy has gotten pneumonia each winter. The doctor indicates that if he is sucking in at his belly when coughing and breathing, to bring him in. Then they have given me the option of antibiotics or x-ray then antibiotics. Since this has been a problem with him I just go for the antibiotics. Also, they always ask me if the coughing keeps him awake at night.

Pneumonia is not something to mess around with, so have them do as many tests as possible to rule it out.

Sorry your little one has been so ill...it can be so taxing on you and him. A cough in a 5 month old for 6 weeks is VERY concerning. Amoxicillin is a first line antibiotic that is used to treat ear/sinus infections....not lung problems. It is considered a "weaker" antibiotic and usually does not clear up chest infections. Please insist on a chest xray! Also, discuss gastroesophogeal reflux with your doctor (or find a new one that will listen to you) since that can cause a baby to develop a bad cough by aspirating acid into the lungs. Also, just because your baby has no fever and is happy doesn't mean that he isn't sick! Coughs are signs that there is inflammation in the airways and ongoing coughs can cause irreversable damage to those airways. Please get him in as soon as possible. And please don't be scared of giving him another antibiotic....this one may be stronger and may clear up the infection that he may have going on. One thing to think of that most people don't....do you have a Christmas tree in your house? If you do...did this cough start when you brought it into the house? You would be surprised how many people get ill because they have a horrible allergy to their tree. Be a "detective" to see if there was anything introduced to his environment that may have caused the cough...especially if you are suspicious that it may be an allergy. Good luck and hope your little guy gets well soon

Not sure if this is relevant, but about a month ago my 2 older kids (both of whom become asthmatic when they're ill), were sick with deep, wet coughs. Our pediatrician told us that there's croup going around, so maybe that's something to check into?

I would definitely have a conversation with your doctor though. You deserve to know what he thinks is going on, and what you need to watch out for. It's important for you to be able to be your son's advocate, and if you don't know (or understand) what's going on, that can't happen. Write down all the questions you have, then call your doctor, or schedule another appointment.

Go to a different doctor. Don't stop until you get an answer. If you're doctor is truly saying they don't know what it is--then find a doctor that can figure it out. He's too little to play around with stuff like that.

Hello D.,
I'm sorry your baby is sick. My daughter was sick from 5 months (Nov 07) through 9 months (March 07). It started with broncialitis (sp) (bronchitis of the small air ways) in Nov and ended there in March with a lot of fun, sleepless nights in between. At that point I learned I have a happy baby. She ended up hospitalized for 3 days in March and everyone (Dr included) was shocked she was that sick since she was that happy. I advice finding a new doctor, give him the meds and be happy your son rolls with the punches =O) You could also use the baby vics to help the nose and a humidifier.
Best of luck,

Hello D.,

I am a 37 year old single parent with children ranging in age from 18 yrs. old to 5yrs. old. My son and I both get sick often with pneumonia. My son just turned 5 last week and has been hospitalized 5 times with it. For both of us, I knew it was pneumonia when I could hear a crackling noise when he breathes. Have they taken x-rays of his chest yet? When listening to his lungs, the air flow will be diminished if he has pneumonia. You have to stand your ground sometimes when taking your baby to the doctor's. When my son was 2 years old, I knew he had pneumonia again,(since he had already been hospitalized twice before with it), but the doctors kept telling me different and wanting to prescribe this and that, and just like with you, I didn't want to just give him anything. (Especially since he couldn't keep oral meds down.) I demanded for them to do an x-ray on his chest and refused to leave the hospital until they did. The results came back showing that he did in fact have pneumonia, his left lung was fully diminished and his right lung was half way. If I would have taken him home that night, as they suggested, he would have died. They had to admit him into the hospital, where he stayed for 4 days.

My son has had upper respiratory infections since he was born. He is finally and luckily growing out of it. I have been on a roller coaster with his health for the past 5 years. With everything I have been through with him, and all that I have learned from it, I am greatful that I had the strength to stand up to those who should no better, and are supposed to be there to help you and your loved ones, when in need. If ever in doubt always ask, and when denied ask again and again and again. We know are children better than anyone. To them our children are just another patient. To us they are our lives! Don't take "NO" for an answer and another "Rx", if your feelings inside say different.

Best of luck to you! I hope your baby get's well soon!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a SAFE and Happy New Year!

Don't know what he has but I may have a little trick that may help clear his lungs up. We used this on my little brother quite a bit. 2-3 times a day, lay him on your lap face down. With the heel of one hand thump on his back about as hard as you would to get ketchup out of a bottle. This helps break up any of the phlem in his lungs. He may cough more but coughing is the bodies way of cleaning the lungs.

Sometimes it is very difficult to figure out what is wrong with a baby. If your baby is active and eating with no fever it may be allergies. Any pets in the house? Dust? Milk or fruit allergy?

1 / 3