Sick 2 Month Old

I have a 2 month little boy and he is sick he has an ear infection and now also a cough and it is a deep cough, so much he throws everything up. any suggestions or easing the couch?

thanks for everyone input he does seem to be getting better but still a bear in the morning.

from my experience, kids stay sick longer when they are constantly laying flat. keep baby propped up as often as possible for drainage. as babies, my kids napped propped up in their boppy. humidifier is a MUST - crank that sucker too! baby vicks is GREAT for helping that cough - rub on chest & back... maybe a little under the nose.

When my 3 year old was very little she had lots of colds and ear infections. To keep things draining, we put her to sleep in her car seat. We just put the car seat on the floor in whatever room we were in so we could keep an eye on her. It seemed to help.

Sleeping in a more upright position will help with the cough. However, he needs to cough to get rid of the phlem. When they cry the sinus cavity opens and the phlemruns out the nose and down the throat. If they don't cough the phlem can't come out as fast to get rid of it. Otherwise they swallow and the phlem ends up in the stomach which does not digest
there...throwing up is the only way to get it up.

J., so sorry to hear about your baby.

The 1st thing I would do is bring him back to the doctors. If the doctor does not listen or have any more excellent suggestions, then find another pediatrician. Sometimes you have to go thru a few doctors until you find one who is excellent.

2nd. I just had that cough and it is still with me after 3 months. And what it did was cause acid reflex. I went to see a pulmonologist and he told me to elevate the head of my bed by putting 4x4 blocks of wood under each of the two legs. That totally stopped my coughing at night. But I am an adult and you have to take care with newborns.

My suggestion is to find a pediatric pulmonologist. The doctor that I see is Mark Fisher. Phone # ###-###-#### Perhaps his office can give you a referral to a pediatric specialist. That is the route I would go because a pulmonologist looks at things much differently than an allergist. And sounds like your little one also has an infection.

The most important thing is to get him to see a doctor again right away. I am a grandmother, have been thru a lot of this stuff, was married to a doctor for 27 years, managed his office for 15 (am not medically trained) and my son and grandson have asthma. You don't sit around and wait when this type of thing occurs.

Good luck to you.
www.toy-train-table-plans-store.com

That has to be so miserable. I guess I would just let him sleep in his carrier until hes better. Good luck. poor baby.

Oh J., I am so sorry! The coughing sounds a lot like what I went through with each of my 3 children. I don't know if you've talked to the doctor since the ear infection diagnosis, but if not, you may want to call again. Maybe it's developed into a secondary infection (upper respiratory or bronchiolitis). It could very well be nothing at all, but with a 2 month old, I wouldn't hesitate to call. Two of my 3 ended up with asthma and the late night coughing can get like that when they are sick. What we do that seems to help is to sleep upright with them. Laying flat always aggravates their situation. And our doctor (pediatric allergist) has always told us not to use a humidifier or steamy room to try to loosen the chest. It will work wonders for the nose, but make chest congestion worse.

I hope your poor lil guy gets well soon, J.!!

Looks like you have a lot of good advice. The only thing I would add on top of doing all of the other things is at night when you put him to bed rub Vick's Vapo Rub on the bottom of his feet and then put socks on them. I know it sounds funny but it works to quit the cough and help him to get a good nights sleep. I did it with my now 1yr. old, she was about 10 months when I did it and I've read other posts on here who have tried it and it also helped. Good Luck.

nOT TO SCARE YOU, BUT rsv IS GOING AROUND, MY 6 MONTH OLD JUST WENT THROUGH IT. ASK THE DOC TO TEST FOR RSV (IT'S JUST A NASAL SWAB).
GOOD LUCK.

I am assuming you have already been to the doc since you say he has an ear infection. The cool mist humidifier in his room when he sleeps and saline drops in the nose every few hours or so during the day help relieve some symptoms. Also if he is really congested try sitting in the bathroom with him with a hot shower running. The steam helps to loosen the mucous so he can get it up. I actually think the fact that he is throwing it up is a good thing. Better out than in when it comes to the congestion. He doesn't know how to clear his throat like an adult, and this is his way of releiving himself. That all being said, if you notice any signs that he is getting worse or something new develops, head straight to the doc or ER as your child is very young and it could be serious.

My 4 yr old was the same way when he was 2. He kept getting ear infections and colds. Nothing I did would ease it. So I took him to his pediatrician and they were giving him antibiotics which only work for long. After so many treatments of antibiotics he had to have the tubing put in his ears to release the infections in his ears. Now at 4 he has not had any problems with eat infesctions and he rarely gets cold. So my advice would be to follow up with your pediatrician.
So

1 / 3