Sick 10 Month Old! Help!

Hi my daughter is 10 months old and for the past 6 days she has a very bad cold. She has a low grade fever for the whole time, she is extremly congested with a runny nose. Well for the past few days, she hasn't really wanted to eat, she is lucky if she gets about 16 oz of formula and a few bites of solid food. She is also sleeping alot during the day which is VERY unusual for her. I did take her to the doctor on Friday and they said to alternate between tylenol and motrin which I have been doing. I am concerned becuase she is not getting better and like I said now her eating and sleeping habits have changed. I am going to call her Doctor's office after they get back from lunch..Do you think I am worrying too much? Any advice.

C.,

Nowadays it does take a good amount of time for a child to get over a cold. Try to get her to take in a lot of fluids, use the saline nose spray to clear her sinuses, and give her cool baths to bring fever down. The more she sleeps, the better since her body will heal better when sleeping. It's her body's way of fighting the infection. Try gatorade to keep the fluids in her. Don't panic, sometimes these things just take a bit longer than we expect.

Take Care,
T. (mom of 4)

NO, I do not think you are worrying to much! Try a humidifier, saline drops, and a suction bulb. Thats worked for us. Hope she gets better soon!

You're a Mom: Worry is your job!I'd get off the milky formula and go to pedialite. Sick people sleep, it is repare time for the body.I'd also get some saline water nose spray to help break the mucus and a humidifier

I would not be too concerned as long as it is a low grade fever.
Are you using a humidifier? If she's staying congested I'd suggest keeping a humidifier in her room. If you don't have one, then sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running allowing the room to fill with steam. It will have the same affect as a humidifier.
She's probably eating less because it's hard to drink a bottle or eat when you can't breath through your nose. Maybe try feeding her after you've tried sitting in the steam for a while? That way she'll be less stuffy and more comfortable eating.
One other thing though is a bad cold can turn into an ear infection pretty easily so keep a close eye if she starts showing signs of an ear infection.

**I agree with Tammi about the fever and NOT treating it. I've also been told several times that it's best to let the fever run its course and do its job!

I don't think you're worrying too much-- I do the same thing!! Unfortunatley, sometimes it just takes time for these viruses to work themselves through their little bodies and all we can do is keep them comfortable and "force fluids". It's such an aweful sounding term, but really you do need to get fluids in her. Popcicles, watermelon, and jello are ways to get it in her if she won't drink much water, but it's important that she gets fluids running through her so she can pee out the virus. Be happy that your doctor didn't rush to put her on antibiotics-- much of what our kids get is viral and antibiotics won't help. They do have warning signs that it's bacterial and apparently she didn't have those signs. Call the office back and ask them what you should be looking for as a reason to bring her back-- they may say if the symptoms don't get any better within a certain amount of days that they'd like to see her again. Being sleepy is a good thing-- my daughter usually sleeps practically 'round the clock when she's sick and wakes up feeling much better within a few days when I let her rest and force fluids. One of the docs in our pedicatrician's office once told me that with a low grade fever sometimes it's best NOT to medicate because the fever is the body's natural way of fighting off the infection so unless she's miserable, let her go ahead and have that fever and sleep it off and pee it out.

I have been experinced with my daughter same thing when she was one year old. tylenol and motrin these I tried with my girl which not work because these were too weak dose, Her allergric specialist put her on pencillin antobodies it was much helpful. I suggest you to take ur baby to allergric specialist. see if wheather or not your baby allergric to anything or has mild asthma because extremly congested it might lead into brochittis which need to put her on an antobodies.

C., Since you went to the Dr. and still no change, go to your pharmacist and tell him/her what the Dr. sail and ask him/her what decongestant would be good to help your baby. M. H.

It is normal to get worry about your little one being sick and not eating much. I used the Tyleno/Motrin combination for the fever but I used an old remedy, Vicks Vapor Rub. It comes in an infant formula (pink top). Rub a penny size on her chest and or back to alleviate the congestion, which is the main reason for toddlers not to eat and it surely drains them out. Also, you might want to ask her doctor about using a vaporizer in her room during the night to help her breath better.

Is she on cereal? If so, you might want to give her the formula by itself for now.

Good luck and don't forget to give her a lot of TLC.

You can get Hyland's Cold Plus Tablets. They are
homeopathic so they are safe for a child your daughter's age. They are tiny tablets that dissolve almost instantly. Because they are homeopathic, you do have to give them often. When my little one was that age, I just gave them to her every time she had a diaper change. You can also use a humidifier when she naps & sleeps at night. You can put peppermint oil drops into the water which also helps with congestion. You can get these items at most health food stores. Simply Saline or any type of pure saline drops can help her nose also. You can get this at any drug store. If she is only running a low grade fever it may be best to avoid the Tylenol and it probably is not going to do much for her unless she is also teething or has a possible ear infection but other wise does nothing for congestion, runny nose etc. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

Hi, I do not think you are worrying too much and I am not trying to scare you but this happened with one of my kids and I took her took the doctor three times and he just said its a cold but then she started coughing and I took her to the er and she rsv and pneumonia. I went by my gut instinct and boy I am glad I did take her to the er. Good Luck and never bad about calling the doctor as we are our childrens voice!! Thanks.

1 / 3