Sibling Gifts

Hello! I am having my second baby (a boy) in a couple weeks, and would like to have him give his big sister (21 months) a gift when they meet, and have one for him also. Any ideas? We have big sister/ little brother shirts, and I would like to get something that they can keep, but have no idea what! Any thoughts? Preferably not something I need to order on line, since I am REALLY huge and not sure how much longer I have! :) Thanks for the ideas!!
E.

Thanks for all the ideas!! Here is what we decided. At the hospital, the baby will give his big sister some toy she can play with there (hard to sit still for so long!), and they will give each other "I love my brother/sister" frames. Later, we can fill in the picture. We may do something from Things Remembered when we have a birthday, so not for the hospital, but we were thinking a necklace for her with the date she became Big Sister, and a bank for baby brother. Thanks again for all the input!!

Hi!
When my son arrived at the hospital to meet his new sister she gave him a Luv Cub that he adored! He could feed it and it would respond to him - he was taking care of his "baby" too. Another idea is an American Girl Bitty Baby. My daughter, who is 2 1/2 received one for her birthday and loves her. You can order them online and choose from different colors of hair and skin tones. They're not the large American Girl dolls like the older girls have - they're actual baby dolls. For other holidays you can get accessories, which don't have to come from the American Girl line. Other brands fit and work just as well. Congratulations!

I did almost the same thing, but my son was 3 at the time, and I had a girl. I got him a small toy that I knew he would love, it went along with a toy he got for his birthday. I didn't have him give her a present since she was receiving them from family.
He also got to play at McDonald's before they came to visit. Although, I don't know that I would recommend getting all germy before seeing a baby. Depends what season it is I guess.
The lady that mentioned the footprints, sounds like a great idea. You might even be able to have them put them on a pink t-shirt instead. I think you might be able to heat set it with an iron later so it would be washable.
One other thing might be a scrapbook, for afterwards. Take pictures of your daughter and the baby, and her opening her gift, and other pictures from the first few days. Then put them in an inexpensive scrapbook(has plastic sleeves). 8.5 x 11 is what I have for my son. He loves to look through his own baby pictures and his relatives.
It does seem that little kids have great memories. My son still will tell the story about the day my daughter was born, and what he did, and that his little sister gave him a present.
Maybe you can have a family member do your shopping. Just print out a picture from online of what you want them to get.
Good luck with this & delivery.
M

E.,
First my suggestion is to give your daughter a brand new baby doll. That way when you have to focus on caring for your new baby she can too! She will enjoy pretending to be a mommy. You may even find her mocking your actions. Now, for a gift for the both of them... why not take a picture of them together when they get to meet for the first time. I have seen picture frames that say "I'm the big sister" and "I'm the little brother". That is something that can go in each child's room and they will enjoy seeing that photo as they grow up. Just a thought. Good Luck with your new addition!!

Have you thought about Build-a-Bears? When my sister 'n law had her 2nd, we gave the baby a smaller bear with a t-shirt that had her name/birthday on, and we gave the big brother a bear he would like. He was so excited when he received it!

I don't have a girl, but you could have him give her a pretty necklace or bracelet or something. That is something she can grow with and have it be sentimental. We just gave our older son a toy we knew he would love. But, we also had a big birthday party for the new baby when our older son was at the hospital with us. We had a big cookie cake (less messy than a real cake) and we had candles and balloons and we all sang "Happy Birthday" to our youngest. Our oldest loved the party, and I think it helped him to enjoy his little brother. Our youngest is 16 months old now, and my older son still talks about our youngest's birthday party we had at the hospital.

Congrats on your upcoming birth. Maybe personalized picture frames, I know you can get them in the mall or like others were saying the build a bears, maybe get them matching ones that she helps make so its special to her. Good luck your last few weeks I know its hard. Keep in mind we put up 8 foot storks to announce your new baby and we can personalize it to have big sister on it. Call me if you are interested. ###-###-####. Thanks, J.

My daughter has a bear that she sleeps with every night. When she and I went shopping for a gift for the new baby, we chose the same bear for her sibling to have. This was the gift that she presented to the baby at the hopital. As for a gift from the baby, she was really into Thomas the Tank Engine so he gave her Thomas and his coaches for her train set. Nothing huge, just something that she would appreciate. She still says "I got these from Jack." when she plays with them.

Hi!

Hey E.,
I just had my second 3 months ago. We brought a toy to the hospital with us so our older son had something to open up from his new brother when he came to visit. We just got him a bubble machine from Target ($12) and some suckers. We also bought him a Kite that he could open up at home. We had our older son bring the baby a present as well,it was a squeaky teether. I don't think they have to be large in monetary value, it's really the gesture that matters. That being said, I have a friend that had her new baby buy the older syblings a water slide ($400). So I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

1 / 3