Siatic Nerve Pain...HELP!

So despite the fact that I am a nurse and can read about siatic nerve pain until I am blue in the face. I could use some advice from those who have experienced this first hand, please. It has been going on for a week now, really bad for the last 5 days. My leg is numb but still hurts. No position is comfortable for long and atlast I now have darocet which only takes the eadge off. I have done the warm baths(3 aday), heat packs, and stretching. At this point I am up for anything?

Thanks for all the answers. Most went with the chiropractor which i should have mentioned that i saw before writing the question. He did help by adjusting 6 points, but it wasnt enough. I think that the pain somehow caused my muscle to spasm and I needed the pain killers to relax enough to strecth it out. I like the tennis ball idea and am trying it.

Chiropractor! that's all you need is a good chiropractor. I had severe siatic nerve pain and after only a few adjustments I was good as new however you can't just stop going.... you need to stay in alignment or you could go back to where you were. Usually after you get back in alignment you can go once a month. I can recomend Primary Care Chiropractic in Manchester.

Lsia

I had intermittent sciatic pain through my 20s. I was about 28 when it got to the point that I couldn't walk. 3 things helped me recover completely: chiropractic, yoga, and massage therapy. By 30 I felt better than I ever had. I don't get sciatica anymore. If I start to feel any pain in my back or hips, I start doing yoga again, get an adjustment, and then I'm back to normal. All these practices have many advantages besides pain relief, unlike the Darvocet, which has undesirable side effects.

L.,
I know just how you feel. I had this happen with my second child. I ended up going to have reflexology done. It was a big help.

Hey Lori!

I am a chiropractor and I just want to give you a few tips if you decide to go that route on ones that will be best for you. This goes for anyone reading this!
A.) you need to find one that does rehab.....this is EXTREMELY imortant! You need to find out what caused you to have the problem in the first place and prevent it from happening again. Often times it is muscle imbalance that leads to injury. You need a chiropractor who can identify you points of instability and work with you for future injury prevention.
B.) Don't go to a chiro who tells you your nerve is "pinched" if it was truly pinched your leg would have wasted away to nothing by now. Your sciatic nerve is not pinched it is being irritated by one of a number or possible things, which is in turn causing your pain
C.) Go to someone who will make you pro-active in your care helping you take your responsibility in your treatment goals.

I Hope this helps. Chiropractic can help I have seen a number of patients with sciatic nerve problems and have had great results. In order to get the best treatment and the best outcome long and short term please find someone that fits what i said above. I would be happy to find one for you near to where you live. My office is in Saint Charles if you are anywhere close to there. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions!

I have had this problem for over 30 yrs. Chiropractic is the best for relief. Stretching helps and try sleeping with a pillow between your legs. My favorite stretch is to lay flat on the floor, slowly bring your knees to your chest. While keeping back as flat as possible, roll to the right, hold for a count of 10. Slowly roll back to center for count of 10. Repeat on other side. Then slowly stretch back out flat.

I am a Massage Therapist and I recommend finding one in your area. The other thing you can do is get a tennis ball, lay on your non effected side and roll back into the tennis ball with the sore side. You can also sit and lean back into the tennis ball under the curve of your hip/low back. You need someone that can massage your piriformis muscle. There are also some stretches you can do to help, sit in a chair with the ankle of the effected side on your good knee, lean forward. All of the things I have suggested are going to be really sore and slightly painful if you are hurting that bad but, I promise they will help. I am in Wichita if there is someway I could help I would love to. Good luck! Try ice not heat that will also help calm the muscles down.

you could try this

after the warm bath, get a tennis ball and lie down on the floor with it under the muscles of your bum (one side - the side that hurts - or you could do the other side first to warm it up). you should find a really sore spot - put it right there. relax the rest of your body totally. after a minute or two the soreness should lessen. you can move the tennis ball to another spot that's sore and do it again - as many times as you like. then do the stretching. this is basically do it yourself 'trigger point therapy.'

hope it helps (used to be a massage therapist)

I am a physical therapist and have treated many low back pain issues. The numbness in your leg concerns me as it could be a sign that the nerve is more severely affected. Have you gotten in to see and orthopedic doctor yet? I am also concerned that the darvocet is only taking the edge off. You may benefit from physical therapy to help try to take the load of your spine and teach you to move effectively and efficiently so as to not injure yourself further. I am not sure where you live, but you are more than welcome to come to my clinic in Valley Park, MO. If that is too far let me know and I can probably recommend some therapists in your area. In the mean time if your pain or the numbness continue to get worse, or you start to notice weakness in that leg, you need to get in to see a doctor.

I would recommend seeing a physical therapist. That is what I did and it help tremendously. I had problems during the end of my first pregnancy, off and on for the next year or so, and then it was really bad during the beginning of my second pregnancy (I couldn't even stand up at times it hurt so bad). The PT I went to specialized in women and she said the women who have had kids tend to have really weak lower abdominal muscles. She said basically you have to think of your lower body as a box - you need strong lower abs, a strong lower back, and a strong base (pelvic floor). She said that if one is weak (like the abs) the other side (lower back) will compensate and cause discomfort and pain. The exercises she gave me took care of the problem. When I feel it starting to flare up again I just start up my exercises again and I can take care of it before all the pain starts.

I started getting sciatica when I was pregnant, and the only relief I got was getting on my hands and knees and just rocking back and forth for a little while. Getting the weight off my spine seemed to relieve the pressure. Even now that I'm not pregnant or overweight, I still get the pain, and that's the only thing that helps. Good luck.

Have you tried sitting on a tennis ball/racquetball and using pressure point therapy to stop the nerve pain? Or get someone to put pressure on the sciatic nerve notch for a couple of seconds for a couple of times and see if that doesn't give you some relief. Also, have you tried massage?

1 / 3