Shower Vs. Bath for Toddlers?

We're looking to buy an apartment and have found one with promise except that the one full bath is a stall shower, no bathtub. My kids are 16 months and 2 1/2 years. We bathe them in the tub currently and I worry that a stall shower will make bathing them a challenge and potential safety hazard. Am I being overly concerned? And at what age did you start showering your kids versus using the tub? Side note: if we move to the stall-shower apt my husband or I would be in the shower wtih the kids; they wouldn't be expected to bathe alone. Thanks in advance for your input.

Really great advice everyone -- can't tell you how much I appreciate it. We are going to check out the apartment again tomorrow and will try to visualize some of the suggestions you made. Seems like the consensus is to not worry about it -- so I won't! I'll keep you posted once we've made our decision. Thanks again!

My daughter has been taking showers with me or her dad since she was about 13 or 14 months. She loves them, rarely ever gets a bath because it is so much easier to shower. She just sits their and plays with her toys (I do have some cups and larger tupperware in their for her so she can have some water for her duckie or boat to swim in.

i have 4 kids 7,5,3 and 1. our house has a full tub upstairs and a shower downstairs. when the kids started sitting unassisted i started putting them in the shower because it is faster and easier and i can also keep an eye on the others, they still get baths at times but mostly its showers.

I wouldn't stress at all if I were you. My husband and bought our house a month before we found out I was pregnant. We don't have a bathtub and have been giving her a shower basically since our daughter could hold her head up. (she's 18 months now) She loves them and always has. There is a plain little Ikea bathtub that I bought a few weeks ago which I sometimes will fill up for her to play in while I shower. It works perfectly bc she can play while I shave my legs or whatever. Other times she will just be in the shower like anyone else would be. We have never had a problem with it and you will adjust. It works great for us. :)

I started taking my kids into the shower with me when they were around 1. I mostly did it when we needed to all shower in the morning and get somewhere but it was pretty easy. My oldest daughter is 6 and has been showering on her own for about a yr and the yr before she would shower on her own but I would reach into the shower and help her with her hair. Try it a little bit in your current apt and see how it works! Good luck!

Here's my opinion, go for it. My baby is 16 months and takes showers on and off. She has ever since she was little. Just get a bath mat or those little sticky safety things to put at the bottom of the tub (mine look like fish). That way they wont feel unsteady and slip. Also if you're really concerned get a shower head that has a detachable hose. You can bring the hose down to the baby, and just reach in there and bathe them instead of being in the actual stall with them. If your worried about taking away their educational water time just get the alphabet toys that stick on the wet walls or tub crayons. Hope this helps. Good Luck! =)

My boys had no choice but to take showers once they outgrew the infant tub. We didn't realize at the time, but in the the house we bought, with only one bathroom, the tub doesn't hold water. My husband has tried everything under the sun to get the stopper out so he can install a new one and it's like the previous owners welded the darn thing to the tub. We've tried to use the rubber plugs that just lay on top of the drain, but the suction never seems to hold. So, showers it is! They love them! We just place rubber ducky non-slip pads on the floor and stay with them at the end of the tub to make sure the youngest (3) doesn't fall.

My older sister lived in a REALLY small house and they only had a tiny shower stall. She got one of those large tubs from Home Depot - basically like a big plastic bin, and gave her son baths in that. This was 25 years ago, so there are probably some cute, sturdy containers you can use for a bath, and they can stand and shower too if they like it. Hope that helps!

both my girls have showered with us since their cords fell off. Sometimes I let my 4yo shower 'by herself' and I just reach in and wash her hair and body. I wouldn't hesitate to by a shower only stall. You can always if you want to get one of the hand-held shower heads and set it up so it is very low for them to stand under, and then just kneel with them and wash. My 16mo loves the shower and showers with me and DH all the time but I still could do her in the sink.

1 / 3