Should Sisters Share a Room or Have Their Own?

I have two girls that are 5 and almost 3 (26 months apart). They have always had their own room but we would like to move them together to free up a room in the house. My 5 year old has bunk beds (they can be seperated) and we got these for her (them) a year ago with the idea that when our 3 year old is out of the crib that she would move in to her big sisters room. They have a big playroom so we really don't feel like they need to have their own room. However, I am not sure it will be an easy transition as they are very comfortable where they are. I would love to hear from other moms if they have done this and how it turned out. Good experiences? Bad? Any opinions on if it is good for siblings to be together or better for them to have their own space? Thank you! G.

For now sharing a room is fine, but once the older one is a pre-teen and beyond, they really need separate rooms. If they share when they are teens, it will be a constant battle for different reasons, and teens like to spend time in their rooms alone, and also with their own friends when they come over.

Holy smokes, it is really interesting how we modern Americans think everyone has to have their own room, even when they are little.

Anyway, I think you got good advice already; bottom line being that it is actually BENEFICIAL for young siblings to share a room, but when they hit puberty (let's say at about 12), then it becomes preferable for them to have separate rooms.

I came up in a big family, and even mixed gender rugrats shared rooms for starters. LOL

I have 6, so the 3 girls have a room and the 3 boys have a room. We have a play room, that is HUGE....all they do in their room is sleep, they have their beds and dressers. The play room has ALL the toys, a queen bed, also loft bed w/trundle, and we have a couple blow up singles and sleeping bags. When the kids truly need a night alone, they sleep in the play room. Each of their beds have trundles under them as well. when they have a friend over, they alternate, depending on who used it last, as to who gets to use it then, or they sleep down stairs in the living room w/friend. They are all very close, they fight, but I do not know a sibling that does not have some kind of spat now and again. Over all it has been GREAT. The play room is also the Guest Room. Good Luck. If you allow them to "decorate" it together, and pick out specific things like color and comforters that coordinate, Theme...it goes A LONG ways.The girls did underwater theme...hung stuff(netting and lights) on ceiling and paintings of ocean themes on walls, kinda corny for the little ones, but then the teen likes it too. The boys did pirates theme. They all get to do some painting and decorating. ..FUN!

When we moved our baby (then 12 months) into her sister's room, we wanted to make it special. So we told the older one, she could have the room decorated any way that she wanted. I thought she would say "I want Princesses" or something like that. She said "I want blue walls, and pink flowers with red centers and purple polka dots" She said the same thing every time I asked her for about a week. Luckily, we had some friends who were artistic enough to make her vision a reality. After the decoration was complete, we moved them in together and they were excited about it. We had a bit of a transition with bedtimes and we had to put the older one to bed first so they wouldn't play together. Now that they are 7 and 4, we have been putting them to bed at the same time for a couple of years. It is nice that we can all read together in the same room, and then one of them just hops over to the other bed and lights out.

We are in the middle of selling our house, and the proclamation has been that they each want their own room in the new house. Too bad they probably won't get it! I also like the fact that most of their toys are in the playroom and bedroom is for sleeping. Good luck!

Well G. I have both my girls in the same room, right now and they are 12 and 9...at first it was a little hard but now they talk about everything and it has seems to have brought them closer. There are time that I over hear them talk about all kinds of things and I have it very heart warming that they confide in each other like this now. So for me I think it was a great move.

Y. S

Hi G., I don't know any reason your daughters couldn't share a room, my sister and I grew up together, she is 8 years older,and I'm sure I was annoying. But I think they may really like it, sharing is a good thing to learn. There are so many small families that don't know how to share space, talk to college kids...it's a learning experience. I would do it!! Good Luck, Deb

I am considering doing this and my girls - 2 and 5 - are begging to do this! Not sure what reality will be like but they see it as a treat not a takeway.

My middle sister and me bonded very much so because of a shared bed room. It may make going to sleep harder on you, because they will interact when they should be sleeping.

just move them together and make it seem like the most exciting adventure and they wont make a big deal about it.
if they make a big deal about it anyway, then they really need to be in the same room together all the more!

1 / 3