Should I Work with Kids?

I have two kids of my own.. yesterday a friend who owns a daycare, offerred me a job at her daycare.. and my kids get to go for free.. I feel it would be good for my 18 month old to have that..other kids his age to play with.. my youngest is only 4 months so he wouldn't know the difference yet. Im not sure whether to take it or not. I dont want to deprive my kids of time with me..and also dont want to be soo tired when I get home that I dont spend time with my husband..This would be a second job.. My current job I only have to work one day a week and I typically work on Saturdays..This second job is M-F..so I would be working 6 days a week..So I would be tired..Not to mention I would have to drive 45 minutes to get to this daycare.. so it's an hour and a half of commute time..I would leave myhouse at 615 am and not get home until around 7ish.. This job would help money wise, but is it worth it?? I need help! Sorry this is so long but it's weighing so heavy on me. I can't decide, Im stuck in the middle cuz it would def be good for my kids, but I would be tired out. I dont want to be so tired that when I am at home with just my two kids that I dont want to spend time with them. Right now with the one job I have, Im able to spend time wth my oldest son by playing, reading and teaching him alot of stuff! HELP please!!

After talking to the owner and my husband. I decided to do part time. It will benefit our kids, I'll make a little extra cash and it wont kill me! So I will be working two days a week from 715 to 630.. not too bad! I also joined a mother's group called Athens Mommies! It will allow the interaction to broaden for my kids! Thanks to all you mothers out there who took the time to drop some advice for me! I appreciate it more than you know!It defiantely helped me make the right decision for my family!

Have you considered doing a stay at home business? Let me know if you are at all interested in hearing about a successful one for me.

Jen

D., it sounds like to me that this is something that would not make you happy. You are already dreading it and you have not even decided if you are going to take the job. If you can stay home, do it. I wish I could have stayed home with my daughter when she was a baby. Do what makes you happy!

Sounds to me like you answered your own question. Working with kids is a hard job, you will be tired at the end of the day. You stated above only two two times a positive note about taking this job and seven reasons not too.

Well, what do you need more at this time? Money or time with kids. If you're like me and many parents in this tough economy, you may really need the money. When I was staying at home with the baby, I was pretty tired then as well, taking care of the baby, waking up with him, never having a moment to myself, not having enough time to cook, clean, or even shower. Plus, I had trouble with hubby feeling that he didn't have to help out since he brought home the bacon. Now, that I'm working also, hubby is actually helping out and it makes running the household a lot easier with us working as a team. Is your hubby helping? That may keep you from getting too run down. I still spend a good hour in the morning and 1-2 hours in the evening playing with and doing activities with the baby before bed. But I also work from 9-4 and get up at 6 or 7 am. Can you work at the daycare part-time or take the morning shift and leave early?

Hope you find a solution! Good luck!

Would your friend be open to you working 3 days a weeks insead of 5? I think part-time work might be better considering all you mentioned.

Unless you desperately need the money, don't take it. It will be damaging to your marriage and time with your own children. Maybe you could substitute for her which would not require you being there except when someone was out. Keep in mind your own children will be exposed to everything in the daycare situation. V.

I think you should say no to this opportunity. Your children are so little! Do you really want to haul them off to work every day? What happens when they are sick? Or when they need to sleep a little later in the morning? How will you make dinner? If you are getting take out food because you are too tired to cook, are you still making money?

I'm sure you can find a MOMS Club for playdates so they can make some little friends. They'd be so much more comfortable at home with you. Maybe a year from now it would be different and your friend may have an opening for you at that time. Right now I would say it's more beneficial for you to be at home. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

I can tell you that I currently work a consistant one day a week that i get home at 7:30ish and then have funny hours (one or two part time days/some over night nights). It is very tiring and can wear on your resolve a bit. I would say that the job I do though, is way less consuming than working at a daycare. I know several women who do it -- none which have to go home to a family at the end of the day. Not meaning to sound discouraging, but unless you really have to, working full time on top of being a mommy is very hard.
Also, if your located near by, i would easily talk to you about part time sitting for my 2 and 3 yr old for extra cash. And if not me, you should consider it for other part time mothers that need help. There are sites you can join such as sitters.com or care.com that allow you to keep your kids home in their own enviorment but allow you to make more money.

tyrone, ga

I would stay home. Illness, bad habits learned from other kids, etc., isn't 'good' in my opinion. What you meant to say that this would be a 3rd job. Your first job is your responsibility at home with your kids which is a job and a half. I would love those darling little ones at home! :0)

Hi D.,
6 days a week, two jobs, plus a full time job at home raising two little children is very tough. I assume you are married, and I would suggest that you and your husband work out an arrangement that is better for both you and the kids. Your kids are at the prime time to need your attention (and I don't mean diapering and feeding, i mean a mom that notices). See if your husband can spend more time at home with them/ you lose one of the jobs/he gains a job - something.
Just my humble opinion. J.

1 / 3