Should I Take My Baby to a Funeral

The father of a very close friend of mine just passed away. I would like to go to the viewing or the funeral to show my support for her and her family. However, I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old. I might be able to find a sitter for the 3 year old but not the baby. I can't leave the baby with my husband, because he surgery yesterday and his doctor specifically told him he is not allowed to lift anything, including our baby. Would it be appropriate for me to take my 3 month old with me? And if so which would be more appropriate to attend?

I took just the baby to the visitation, but not the funeral. I decided that since it was easier to make a quick exit if needed at the visitiation if needed. Several people enjoyed having her there including my friend and her mother and said it was a good distraction.

Yes-I would take the baby. Leave right away if she cries-but if she just hangs out then stay. You will probably be providing a welcome diversion for people...viewings are so awkward. Plus-you won't have to stay very long b/c you have the baby...at least thats how I always feel-I want to get in and out. I hate the milling around part.

This is a very young baby that will not realize where he/she is--that seems to be a concern among some of the PPs.
This is the father of a very close friend. Go and take the baby! No one will find it odd.

I took my baby when a friend of my stepmom's died. People usually love seeing babies at funerals because they remind us of the future. Just run it by your friend to make sure.

A., if you go to the viewing with the baby, I think that would be okay. Just don't stay long. Please don't go to the funeral. You cannot keep your baby from wailing just when someone is their most upset.

I hope your husband feels better soon.

All my best,

i have had to take my daughter to a funeral before she was around 2 i think. i just sat in the back so if she started to make a fuss i could step out quickly with her.

I brought my son at 7 months to my grandmother, his greatgma's funeral kept him in a sling for the most part and sat in the back on a sofa so we could nurse quietly if needed. I brought him just recently (4) to greatgpa's wake & funeral and that was a nightmare... he did not want to be in there .. direct quote "no mommy they not happy in there" so we spent the services in the "lounge" in the basement it was difficult. I would suggest bring the baby and get a sitter for the toddler.

I am sorry for your loss and I hope your husband has a fast recovery.

We took our daughter to my husbands grandmothers funeral when she was only 4 wks old.. she did fine.I agree people like seeing the new life.

I took my 3 month old son at the time to my aunt's father's funeral. It was a small service and while it was silent while we were praying, my son started pooping. And it was one of those loud, explosive ones and my son was grunting really loud too. I was so embarrassed, but people around us started laughing really hard. I picked him up and left the service and sat outside until it was over. None of the family was upset, they thought it lightened things up a bit. So, my only recommendation is that I think you should sit near an exit, or maybe near the back in case your baby starts crying, or pooping! I'm sorry for your loss! Good Luck.

in our family, people want to see the babies and would be sad not to see them there.

1 / 3